Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
10-22-2019, 01:12 AM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This mornings mist and from locations spread out over about 30 miles and different geography. Please note, I'm not trying to make a point, it's just that with my local experience hunting mists within a 30 mile radius of my home, the various forecasts are wrong as many times as they are correct, except when there's a wide area of mist that is reasonably obvious. Of course other locations may not be so fickle.

From their forecasts yesterday evening:
Clear Outside: Failed at two locations, correct at one. Confidently predicting 0% mist at the two locations it got wrong and 100% at the one it got right.
BBC weather service: as Clear Outside.
Met Office. Correct at the three locations (lucky this time)

The location that Clear Outside and the BBC Weather got right was the location that always catches mist if there is any about.

Interestingly they are ALL now saying there is mist at these three locations, as there is. It's as though someone leans out of the window and says "oh, s***, there's mist, we'd better amend the charts"

I wish these forecasting services were more accurate for mist, but then it would make our life even easier as photographers ...;-)

10-27-2019, 11:19 AM   #17

QuoteOriginally posted by K1N8 Quote
Is anyone aware of any website or mobile app that sends alerts when foggy weather is predicted?

Given how quickly these conditions fade, that would be really useful to have.
You can't really better the Met office

Weather and climate change - Met Office
10-27-2019, 08:26 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There is a Google App. Just Google it.
10-28-2019, 06:13 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Pontoneer Quote
You can't really better the Met office

Weather and climate change - Met Office
Sadly, Derek the MetOffice fails its forecasts for mists down here regularly. This morning none of Clear Outside, BBC, MetOffice were indicating any chance of mist. However, all the conditions were in play for a Radiation fog/mist - clear skies and calm conditions. Also, over water, for an Exaporation fog/mist. The South Downs were extensively covered this morning and plenty over inland water. It was always going to be an obvious misty morning, why do they fail so often?

So, mist apps score 0. Very little predictive value, for mist, from these services, again ...

Last edited by BarryE; 10-28-2019 at 07:08 AM.
10-28-2019, 01:11 PM   #20

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by BarryE Quote
Sadly, Derek the MetOffice fails its forecasts for mists down here regularly. This morning none of Clear Outside, BBC, MetOffice were indicating any chance of mist. However, all the conditions were in play for a Radiation fog/mist - clear skies and calm conditions. Also, over water, for an Exaporation fog/mist. The South Downs were extensively covered this morning and plenty over inland water. It was always going to be an obvious misty morning, why do they fail so often?

So, mist apps score 0. Very little predictive value, for mist, from these services, again ...
I've found the same with the MetOffice, it is one of the most accurate for rain but rarely do I ever see mist/fog mentioned.
10-28-2019, 01:13 PM   #21

I think you can program IFTTT to send a fog alert to your phone.