Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 37 Likes Search this Thread
10-23-2019, 05:39 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Guys, come on, to those of you the FB haters or let's say its opponents...you do not do shopping online, You still watch B/W with no remote no internet no LCD TV, You do not have a cell phone, don't you?
You are still using a film camera, by the way that camera does not have wi-fi? Ah,as long as you are here, oh wonder, you have internet , so you do use it....and after all you are talking about a privacy...there is so little privacy these days. Information about you is spreading so fast. If you are not on social media, then your neighbors are, your friends, strangers who can take a picture of you by a cell phone and post it...
:-)

10-23-2019, 06:32 AM   #17
Pentaxian

You want a FB link to a site, easy start your own but in the mean time how about respecting the wishes of the Admin and the majority of the group. I believe as a whole you'll find most in this group are very technology, internet & social media literate.

Food for thought; Proof read what you post. When posting If your going to put forth a thought provoking comment at least put it forth in an intelligible manner, Your last comment construction for the most part makes no sense for what your attempting to put forth, which only succeeds in making the read laughable.
10-23-2019, 06:38 AM - 2 Likes   #18

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Vasyl Quote
Guys, come on, to those of you the FB haters or let's say its opponents...you do not do shopping online, You still watch B/W with no remote no internet no LCD TV, You do not have a cell phone, don't you?
You are still using a film camera, by the way that camera does not have wi-fi? Ah,as long as you are here, oh wonder, you have internet , so you do use it....and after all you are talking about a privacy...there is so little privacy these days. Information about you is spreading so fast. If you are not on social media, then your neighbors are, your friends, strangers who can take a picture of you by a cell phone and post it...
There are a lot of assumptions in here. I work in a tech industry and am friends with other in the tech industry. Many of the people I know will not use facebook. In addition, they will not use Alexa, Google Home or Siri related voice activated smart devices.

I had a similar conversation to this one a few years ago and the response to my hesitation in using an echo device was much the same as yours here. I've since revisited that conversation with the person after all the issues with recording devices have come to light and they now at least see the point.

We're in a world now where we have to make choices. We can choose to give up some of our privacy in order to use certain services. The question is, do we want to or not? I choose not to use those devices because I do not want to release the control over my privacy. I also choose not to use FB because, quite frankly, I don't give a rip about anything anyone on FB has to say. I avoid posting pictures of my daughter on line. I make these choices consciously based on information available to me.

The other people posting in this thread are making a similar choice to me. It's their choice to make regardless if you or I agree with it. Either way, we shouldn't assume anything else about them based on that choice.
10-23-2019, 06:43 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Just because someone has no time, need, or most importantly TRUST of social media sites does not mean that they forego modern technology. I, for one, have and use all of the devices you mention (other than a Wi-Fi enabled camera - too slow). However, I draw the line at purposely putting any information out on the interwebs that does not need to be there. My son and quite a few of his contemporaries have also abandoned several social media sites in protest of their (mis)handling of personal data.

In short, if you wish to use FB and the others, knock yourself out, but IMHO PF is better off without any linkages to it.

10-23-2019, 07:18 AM - 1 Like   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A wider community would mean less chances to win a prize...so no
Jokes aside, I think pentax users are for the most part aware of the existence of pentaxforums (and other pentax websites)
10-23-2019, 07:21 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Oldbayrunner Quote
You want a FB link to a site, easy start your own but in the mean time how about respecting the wishes of the Admin and the majority of the group. I believe as a whole you'll find most in this group are very technology, internet & social media literate.

Food for thought; Proof read what you post. When posting If your going to put forth a thought provoking comment at least put it forth in an intelligible manner, Your last comment construction for the most part makes no sense for what your attempting to put forth, which only succeeds in making the read laughable.

Please consider of having intelligence to hear the point of your opponent. I am not insisting, I am expressing my opinion and proposing. I see you find this as an offense to you. If you prefer to stay where you are, be there I am not sticking a label on you, but accept and respect your approach. If you have enough intelligence...oh no, you don't, so just laugh

---------- Post added 23-10-19 at 07:25 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Navmaxlp Quote
There are a lot of assumptions in here. I work in a tech industry and am friends with other in the tech industry. Many of the people I know will not use facebook. In addition, they will not use Alexa, Google Home or Siri related voice activated smart devices.

I had a similar conversation to this one a few years ago and the response to my hesitation in using an echo device was much the same as yours here. I've since revisited that conversation with the person after all the issues with recording devices have come to light and they now at least see the point.

We're in a world now where we have to make choices. We can choose to give up some of our privacy in order to use certain services. The question is, do we want to or not? I choose not to use those devices because I do not want to release the control over my privacy. I also choose not to use FB because, quite frankly, I don't give a rip about anything anyone on FB has to say. I avoid posting pictures of my daughter on line. I make these choices consciously based on information available to me.

The other people posting in this thread are making a similar choice to me. It's their choice to make regardless if you or I agree with it. Either way, we shouldn't assume anything else about them based on that choice.
I fully agree with you and respect the choice the other do or have done.

---------- Post added 23-10-19 at 07:32 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by lsimpkins Quote
Just because someone has no time, need, or most importantly TRUST of social media sites does not mean that they forego modern technology. I, for one, have and use all of the devices you mention (other than a Wi-Fi enabled camera - too slow). However, I draw the line at purposely putting any information out on the interwebs that does not need to be there. My son and quite a few of his contemporaries have also abandoned several social media sites in protest of their (mis)handling of personal data.

In short, if you wish to use FB and the others, knock yourself out, but IMHO PF is better off without any linkages to it.
Who knows if PF is better or not w/o the linkage.
For me, the social media is not a source of trust, but a source of information, that can bre processed properly and converted in something useful.
By the way, are you aware that PF page is on FB?
So, whatever I am missing from this page I am getting from FB.
10-23-2019, 09:01 AM - 1 Like   #22
Pentaxian

Please consider of having intelligence to hear the point of your opponent. I am not insisting, I am expressing my opinion and proposing. I see you find this as an offense to you. If you prefer to stay where you are, be there I am not sticking a label on you, but accept and respect your approach. If you have enough intelligence...oh no, you don't, so just laugh
Obviously, you haven't re-read what you wrote in the manner it is put forth...... A simple switch of two words, a commas and question marks would have been so much clearer... Ie:
you do not do shopping online
accusatory VS inquisitive... Do you not do shopping online? ... and to go on, again
You still watch B/W with no remote no internet no LCD TV, You do not have a cell phone, don't you?
VS.... Do you still watch B/W with no remote, no internet, no LCD TV? You do have a cell phone, don't you?

You see command of the written language can be a powerful thing if one uses it properly. Then again if used improperly it can make one seem not so intelligent.... That sir is my intelligence difference I clearly understood what you were meaning to say but the way you wrote it degraded it's purpose, turning it away from the point you intended.

10-23-2019, 11:32 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Oldbayrunner Quote
Obviously, you haven't re-read what you wrote in the manner it is put forth...... A simple switch of two words, a commas and question marks would have been so much clearer... Ie: accusatory VS inquisitive... Do you not do shopping online? ... and to go on, again VS.... Do you still watch B/W with no remote, no internet, no LCD TV? You do have a cell phone, don't you?

You see command of the written language can be a powerful thing if one uses it properly. Then again if used improperly it can make one seem not so intelligent.... That sir is my intelligence difference I clearly understood what you were meaning to say but the way you wrote it degraded it's purpose, turning it away from the point you intended.
then , enjoy your intelligence!
10-23-2019, 11:39 AM - 1 Like   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I really don't care whether Faceberk knows about us or not, it's of little interest.
10-23-2019, 12:35 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by StiffLegged Quote
I really don't care whether Faceberk knows about us or not, it's of little interest.
I can tell you more, FB does not care either...:-)
10-23-2019, 02:24 PM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It is not about you and your preferences, but about making this forum more known to the others. There is an option on the other forums/photo sites either to sign with FB account or with your email. You chose what is best for you.
Signing in here is hardly difficult. Facebook is predatory when it offers such "services" and should be avoided.
10-23-2019, 02:26 PM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I can tell you more, FB does not care either...:-)
They keep emailing telling me I've missed X posts of questionable interest, so I'm not convinced, but I just delete these emails unread!
10-23-2019, 02:37 PM   #28
PDL
Pentaxian

Good heavens, why would you even consider Facebook as a single point of authorization? People scream and gnash their teeth over Microsoft's use of their insistence over using their accounts and yet people fall all over themselves to use Facebook?

Facebook is a global scourge.

Side note: I have friends who work for Facebook, Amazon, Google and Microsoft (no Apple people that I know of) so if they pay well that is their problem. Most, if not all, of the people I know who have been hacked have been hacked via Facebook. If your Facebook password is not a passphrase and at least 20 characters long, you are toast.
10-23-2019, 02:41 PM   #29
Inactive Account

...you do not do shopping online, You still watch B/W with no remote no internet no LCD TV, You do not have a cell phone, don't you?
FB seems to make it a norm for a business to steal people privace infos online. Some people accept, feel powerless and ask fb to take more from them and everyone around.

But it is not too hard to see many more dislike the way fb doing business, and want nothing to do with it. Just because of that, you don't have to make peopy look like a neo-luddism or something.

Last edited by tokyoscape; 10-23-2019 at 02:57 PM.