Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
10-24-2019, 03:36 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Getting inspiration for photography

How would someone who is admittedly not very creative get great ideas for random photos or setting up a shot?

I can take great candids, but if I want to plan a shot out, I'm pretty lost.

10-24-2019, 03:53 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Takes look at some of the photo posting threads on this site! And/or If you don’t already have one, get a Flickr account and join some groups that specialize in the kind of photos you’re interested in. The Flickr app is a bit more convenient than browsing this forum on mobile.

Go to a book store or library and browse through photo books and magazines. Try to stay away from the ones that just try to sell you gear through.

Join a photography meet up group near you.

Take a class.

So many options!
10-24-2019, 04:05 PM   #3
Inactive Account

I think and I do look at another people work a lot and often. I usually look at Instagram, Pinterest or just simply google it.
Don't limit yourself to looking at just famous works. We can see and learn to do or not to do from any photos. Then go out and try what you like and avoid what you don't like. Learn and try from another people work long enough and eventually we will develop our own way of shooting. IMHO, this is very much like we go to school to learn from text book and teachers.
10-24-2019, 04:06 PM   #4
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
very good suggestions

a couple more

take a look at this section of the forums

Resources | PentaxForums.com

and concentrate on the " how to " articles

for possible inspiration

look at some of the " game " threads

such as some you can find in these sections

Mini-Challenges, Games, and Photo Stories - PentaxForums.com

Weekly Photo Challenges - PentaxForums.com

remember that it is a journey that takes time

above all have fun, experiment

good luck

10-24-2019, 04:19 PM   #5
Veteran Member

What interests do you have outside photography? Nature? Cars? Knives? Food? I find it helps to come with an interest in your subject. Look at examples of photography in an area you're interested in, then try to do better. Trying to mimic or copy photos you like can also be great practice and good motivation for learning new techniques or how to set up photos.
10-24-2019, 04:23 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

As others have pointed out +1 for looking at others photos for inspiration. Particularly look for someone that you really like the look of the photos of (i.e. fits with the results you would like to get).

Also composition is probably one of the more important aspects for an interesting shot and from my experience (limited as it is):
1. So often I see a very different (and much better) composition from stepping a few paces to left / right / forward / back. And sometimes you need to approach your subject from a completely different angle. So take your time to look around the subject.
2. In a similar vain try shooting from high or very low angle - can lead to some pretty interesting compositions. This is where the flexy screen on the K-1 can be very handy.
3. Try getting closer and shoot just part of the subject (details shot).
10-24-2019, 06:33 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Look at what other people do to get ideas. Also walk around with your camera and try new things.

10-24-2019, 06:44 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Look at some of the pictures that you have shot and critique them yourself. Then go to that same subject and try it from different angles, with different lenses, closer or farther. Take your time, use the tripod and put it on live view, and use manual exposure. If you can avoid the harsh midday light, and do this at the times of day when you get the good light everything can look better.
10-24-2019, 06:47 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ThomSirveaux Quote
How would someone who is admittedly not very creative get great ideas for random photos or setting up a shot?

I can take great candids, but if I want to plan a shot out, I'm pretty lost.
Lets start by posting your candids here (and elsewhere) and seek some feedback. The (hopefully) positive feedback will encourage you to shoot more and you may also change your style/get encouraged to try something different.
Good luck.
10-24-2019, 06:53 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by sergysergy Quote
Also walk around with your camera and try new things
This !
Carry a camera with you not just when you go out specifically to shoot, but most times, Doesn't have to be a full kit, maybe just your phone. Look at things and the way light shapes them, look at things in different times of day, and times of the year.
When you find something that piques your interest, don't stop with one shot,. move around the scene, closer, further, side to side, up and down; play with the composition and framing. Watch what happens to your backgrounds as you move around the scene and reframe your subject.
With digital it's cheap to keep taking more frames,
Then look at what you've done, and what you like and don't like, think about why you like it or don't like it,
and you can always get some critique from others too, especially on PF,
Good luck with the adventure
10-24-2019, 07:03 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I should mention a few books that helped me a lot, all by Michael Freeman:
- The Photographer's Eye
- The Photographer's Mind
- Capturing Light

These are all about the creative process and only touch a little on how to use your camera or post-process (IIRC). At least for me, he motivates me to go out and shoot, not accumulate more stuff.
10-24-2019, 07:25 PM - 1 Like   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Even if you don't officially participate, following one of the challenges can be fun and give you a goal. I also find there's more around us than we realize. Pick either early or late in the day when the light is more interesting, and start looking around your daily digs for those interesting things you walk right by. Just grab a bag with your camera and a couple random lenses, and head out the door and see what you can find.
10-24-2019, 09:13 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Make a point of shooting something or some way you have not done before - shoot straight up / shoot shadows / use a dense ND filter / use flash or not / shoot wide open or stopped down to f/16 or f/22 / shoot people (or not)
10-25-2019, 01:01 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have found that when creativity bogs down I've been doing too much of the same thing. Snap out of it by grabbing a distinctly different lens to force yourself to see an unusual view. Super wides, long telephotos, or especially macro attachments enable you to see everyday surroundings in a radically different perspective if you're accustomed to typical kit zoom lenses or primes close to standard focal length. They don't have to be expensive or among the best optics to be useful. Many very simple options for close up and macro are cheap or can even be improvised so these solutions are easy to try. As has been suggested, if you aren't sure how to use this stuff any intro book or article about macro will mention easy-to-use items.
Concentrate on having some fun and experiment.
10-25-2019, 03:53 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Lots of good suggestions, but maybe there's a little too much looking at what others are doing or have done.

You'll have subjects that interest you - working on these helps. However, the advice to always carrying a camera is important, don't just set aside a session to take photos - it's hopeless, you put yourself under pressure. By having something to hand all the time is key, then every moment is a photo opportunity. Then experiment, with angles, lighting, compositions: break the rules.

That's the taking.

Next it's the critiquing. You can take the advice, that goes something like, 'put the new shots aside for a few days/weeks etc then you'll look more dispassionately from this distance of time'. But, as we are impatient, that's hard. So when you look don't be immediately disappointed. FORGET to think about the technical issues of pin point focus, lens flaws, etc. , just look to see what parts of a shot excite you. Crop the shot. Rotate it by 180 degrees, to see it in abstract. Switch to B&W to look at the tones. Generally, experiment.

Being relaxed about your images. Experiment. Don't copying other's work. Ignore social media feedback on your shots, instead if you must, seek out folk who you ca respect will give a thoughtful critique. Better, I'd say, to just find what you like and develop this approach.

A couple of other things that might help: "work the shot", ie find a subject and or a play of light and just take as many shots as you can from as many different heights, angles as you can. Just work hard in ONE spot. Get dirty. Kneel. Lie down etc etc.

Two, a phrase that I keep on using when I'm out is: "think like a herbivore". The idea, is as you walk about continue to look through 360 degrees - I'm constantly struck how I see things I've walked past when I look back.