Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-24-2019, 06:41 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Kansas City

I’ll have a Saturday morning to kill in Kansas City. Staying near the convention center on the Missouri side on Baltimore Ave. Any suggestions on places to go near by to shoot? Looks like there might be some city scape locations near by. I will have a car and thus some mobility. Thanks.

10-24-2019, 07:20 PM   #2
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

the Plaza is close to you, with nice street scenes, especially if the fountains are flowing....
10-24-2019, 07:29 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Kansas city is chock-full of great photography opportunities. If you are in the Plaza, stop in at Glace and get some ice cream, even if it's cold out. It really is the best ice cream I've had anywhere in the world.
10-24-2019, 07:31 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm sure there are other members more familiar with KC, but I'd suggest a visit to the WWI Museum/Liberty Memorial. If you've only got the morning you won't be able to do the museum justice, but you can get a nice view of the city from there. Union Station is nearby as well if you're interested in trains or railroad stations. A bit further away would be the Nelson-Atkins Museum of Art, which has a wonderful sculpture garden. Just a few suggestions to get you started. Hope you have a great trip!

--Steve

10-25-2019, 04:43 AM   #5
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

another location is the Kansas City Zoo

Kansas City Zoo

be advised that it is spread out and you may want to spend the money on the transportation options

if you are a member of another zoo you may get 50 % off the entrance fee if you have your card and ask

The WWI Memorial and Museum is worth a visit even if you don't take photos.

there is a Jazz Museum

American Jazz Museum |

and the Negro League Baseball Museum

Baseball Museum - Negro League Baseball Museum - Kansas City, MO

that might be worth a visit
10-25-2019, 11:19 AM   #6
Pentaxian

I have never spent much time in KC, but have driven through numerous times. I love the view from westbound 670 after you pass under the convention center. It feels like you are in the bowels of the city, and than all of a sudden you pop out and you are on top of the world. I would recommend looking for a side street that goes along the bluffs and see if you can find a nice overlook. This would probably be better for sunset shots though as you would be facing west. If you drive west into Kansas a mile or two you might be able to find a place on the opposite bluffs and get some nice morning shots of sunrise over the city.
10-25-2019, 06:09 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thank you all for the insight. It is appreciated.