Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-25-2019, 10:41 AM   #31
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I confess I gave up on mirror lenses long ago. Many of the photos in this thread show that quality images can be made with the better mirror lenses.

10-25-2019, 12:06 PM   #32
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Me too, but digital makes mirror lens a return
10-25-2019, 12:26 PM   #33

I like shooting with my Sigma 600mm f/8. At this time I just can't see why I could justify the cost of even a decent refractive supertelephoto lens, when I'm only slightly interested in shooting at that focal length. The mirror lens makes a whole area of photography available to me for a pittance by comparison, which means I don't have a super-expensive lens on my desk that I can try not to stare at wondering why I would pay so much for something I use so rarely.

And even beyond the price, my Sigma is already on the precipice of being unweildy, so I can't imagine that I would enjoy carrying an ever larger and heavier refractive lens around. I wouldn't even have enough space in my bag for a bigger lens.
10-25-2019, 12:58 PM   #34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by lotech Quote
Someone mention that the 1000MM MTO has problem clearing the on camera flash, I've not tried but I will think twice before getting those big fat mirror, extension tube can fix that problem, but also reduce light reception (due to distance) on the already dark lens.
That was me. Part of the problem is that it is a M39 mount and the second part is that the smallest extension tube I have is too long for it to reach infinity, hence the telephoto adapter in the mix instead of an extension tube. If I wasn't shooting at infinity with this lens I would stick my 9mm (I think it is 9mm as it is the M42 #1 extension tube) in the mix and be able to focus closer. Yes you are right that it decreases the light from this already dark lens. I wouldn't have gotten it but am just babysitting it until my buddy is allowed to have it back in his house. I've only used it a handful of times and like I said it is dark and the teleconverter makes it darker so I only shoot bright night objects and even then don't expect impressive results but you can get some reasonable shots like being able to see stripes and the great red spot on jupiter, making out saturn's rings, and filling the frame with the moon.

10-25-2019, 01:01 PM   #35
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by GUB Quote
Like all zooms it is not bleeding edge sharp but it seems to have an art to it which wins me over.
Nice images, i agree there is an art to that lens.
10-25-2019, 06:22 PM   #36
Pentaxian At Large
Loyal Site Supporter

I have a Tamron or Tokina Fixed aperture 500mm Mirror. Challenging to use, really best with a tripod. lots of light, and some patience. In proper conditions it produces some very nice results.
10-26-2019, 06:05 PM   #37
Pentaxian

I've got a Tamron 55BB that I use occasionally, but not often enough. When I use it in good light for subjects that are showing up reasonably large in my viewfinder, results can be very good. Here are links to images I've posted on the Mirror Lens Club that I've been happy with:

The Mirror Lens Club! - Page 67 - PentaxForums.com

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/122-lens-clubs/71775-mirror-lens-club-62.html#post4193440

I've got an older Russian 1000mm mirror, sitting in its wooden case, that I haven't used very much. I'm now curious to see if it needs any "relaxation."
10-26-2019, 06:45 PM   #38
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Thagomizer Quote
I've got a Tamron 55BB that I use occasionally, but not often enough. When I use it in good light for subjects that are showing up reasonably large in my viewfinder, results can be very good. Here are links to images I've posted on the Mirror Lens Club that I've been happy with:

The Mirror Lens Club! - Page 67 - PentaxForums.com

The Mirror Lens Club! - Page 62 - PentaxForums.com

I've got an older Russian 1000mm mirror, sitting in its wooden case, that I haven't used very much. I'm now curious to see if it needs any "relaxation."
Just relax yourself, get a cup of coffee, and then flex your muscle and pick up that gigantic go for a ride

---------- Post added 10-27-19 at 09:58 AM ----------

I'm just wondering those astronomical mirror lenses any better than those for camera, how does the Celestron C90 compares against the MTO equiv. for example.

10-27-2019, 05:30 AM   #39
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by lotech Quote
I'm just wondering those astronomical mirror lenses any better than those for camera, how does the Celestron C90 compares against the MTO equiv.
The problem with spotting/telescopes is that they do not need to cover any particular 'frame', most will give a circular image, often with significant distortion towards the edges. They are generally more cumbersome than a mirror lens to use on a camera.
10-27-2019, 05:47 AM   #40
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Right, I believe they are less precise too
10-27-2019, 10:13 AM   #41

Never used one before and to me they sound like little Newton telescopes. Very interesting I will look for some 👍
10-27-2019, 11:16 AM   #42
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have long been giving sideways glances to the K400/600 Reflex Zoom. I have zero zoom lenses but this is such a unique lens. It bears mentioning that, according to the user review page here it can do almost half life size. It then occurs to me that I have not purchased a lens in more than one year. ;-)
10-27-2019, 10:40 PM   #43
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
Guys, stop. I don't have a lot of space left on my shelf! I cannot be thinking about lenses, and those pictures are so tempting
You have plenty of shelf space? That's the wrong thing to say around these parts, partner!
"One of us! One of us! One of us!"
😂
10-28-2019, 01:09 AM - 1 Like   #44
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jcdoss Quote
I have long been giving sideways glances to the K400/600 Reflex Zoom. I have zero zoom lenses but this is such a unique lens. It bears mentioning that, according to the user review page here it can do almost half life size. It then occurs to me that I have not purchased a lens in more than one year. ;-)
Oh you poor afflicted soul. I sincerely hope you can soon be cured of this terrible deprived state.
10-28-2019, 01:43 AM - 1 Like   #45
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jcdoss Quote
When I said about the 400 -600 earlier that "like all zooms it is not bleeding edge sharp" it was a typo and I meant like all mirrors. Having said that my copy seems sharper than my Tamron 500.
But bleeding edge sharp it is not and I need to point out that my shots were on a K-1 and I feel that the cropping effect of apsc may make a big difference to whether it is acceptably sharp.
Colour seems to be the 400 - 600 strong point (for mirror) and combining this with lucking in on the bokeh is when you get a winner.