Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-21-2020, 07:20 AM   #76
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
Iíve only just noticed this thread. Have you found one? Your post prompts me to get mine out and check the front element.
Yes, I did, but I haven't been out using it as much as I'd hoped, with the turmoil unfolding in the world and all. I bought from one of the better eBay vendors from Japan and no delamination. I asked them to photograph the front element a bunch of times for me, and they did, and it looked excellent in person when it showed up. I'll try and get some more photos with the lens, but since we don't go out much anymore, subject matter may be a challenge to find. :-)

Here's a short gallery with some shots I took earlier.

Cheers!
JCD

08-21-2020, 09:40 AM   #77

I have aquired and used 2 mirror lens. A spiratone 500mm f8 lens, for those to young to know spriatone was a company with many interesting items but had a good reputation for having great lens made in japan, and a new unknown Chinese 500mm f6.3 lens. The spiratone lens holds up well after all these years as a nice mirror lens. I usually have it in my bag when I am out on a hike. It is more convenient to carry around for a if I need it moment then the 150 to 450 pentax lens. It is small, light and takes great pics. The Chinese lens is not as small but is light and also take great pics. Neither lens has a tripod collar and there is no need as they are light enough for hand hold or to use the camera tripod mount. New the Chinese lens can be bought for around 150 and the Spriatone lens I got for 75 used including the lens shade. Both are t mounts so can easily set for most any camera.
08-22-2020, 01:15 AM - 1 Like   #78
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jcdoss Quote
Yes, I did, but I haven't been out using it as much as I'd hoped, with the turmoil unfolding in the world and all. I bought from one of the better eBay vendors from Japan and no delamination. I asked them to photograph the front element a bunch of times for me, and they did, and it looked excellent in person when it showed up. I'll try and get some more photos with the lens, but since we don't go out much anymore, subject matter may be a challenge to find. :-)

Here's a short gallery with some shots I took earlier.

Cheers!
JCD
Nice work, Jason. People may criticise the ďdonutĒ bokeh, but it isnít obvious in every shot with a mirror lens and sometimes it can be a positive for the image. By the way, from memory, I think Olympus may have also had a mirror zoom, but my recollection is a bit hazy.
08-24-2020, 11:24 AM - 3 Likes   #79
Pentaxian

Broke out my mirror and took it for a spin. Cross posted from the "Mirror Lens Club!"

Some shots from my bike ride to work this morning. Tamron 55bb 500mm f8, with some cropping on most of them.

There's a vulture roost just around the corner from where I live. A couple of nights ago, there were at least two dozen of them in several trees. I thought I'd check to see if there were any there this morning.

Yes, there were!

Sleepy osprey:

Awake now:

And some using close focus:

100% of above. It isn't going to win any prizes from pixel peepers, but not bad at all.

08-24-2020, 04:26 PM - 1 Like   #80
Pentaxian

but my recollection is a bit hazy.
Ask your brother,remember 2 heads are better than one!
08-24-2020, 04:31 PM - 1 Like   #81
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
Ask your brother,remember 2 heads are better than one!
Címon. Youíre the Olympus goto person here. Your memory isnít down to 50%, surely?
08-24-2020, 04:34 PM   #82
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Just to add a little contemporary note, I see Canon has just announced a 600mm F11 mirror lens for its mirrorless range. Aside from an opportunity for a good-humoured dig at Canon putting the mirror back, I think this is the second (or is it the third?) recent mirror lens announcement.
08-24-2020, 04:53 PM   #83
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Just to add a little contemporary note, I see Canon has just announced a 600mm F11 mirror lens for its mirrorless range. Aside from an opportunity for a good-humoured dig at Canon putting the mirror back, I think this is the second (or is it the third?) recent mirror lens announcement.
Not quite a mirror lens - it's diffractive optics (Fresnel), not reflective (despite the fixed aperture). Still, it's very true that it isn't a conventional lens.

08-24-2020, 07:15 PM - 1 Like   #84
Pentaxian

[IMG][/IMG]

Pentax K1 with a 500mm Tamron SP Mirror lens
Minimal PP. Used tripod and 2 second timer, shake reduction turned OFF. Direct distance to hill about 8 miles.
08-24-2020, 11:59 PM   #85
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
Not quite a mirror lens - it's diffractive optics (Fresnel), not reflective (despite the fixed aperture). Still, it's very true that it isn't a conventional lens.
I obviously mis-read the article. I assumed the diffractive optics were the correction element.
08-27-2020, 03:06 AM - 2 Likes   #86
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Pentax 400-600 F8-12 @ 400mm

This thread encouraged me to try my old Pentax mirror zoom on my K-1. The results made me wonder why I hadnít before.

I didnít much like this lens on my APS-C bodies, but I quite like it on the K-1.
08-27-2020, 03:19 AM   #87
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

By the way, the Mirror Lens Club is still active, too.
08-27-2020, 08:10 AM   #88
retired sw engineer
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lotech Quote
I wonder how many people still shoot with mirror lens these days ? I like mirror lens for two reason, cost and portability. I am not a pro and will shoot wildlife occasionally, a high quality telephoto lens not only expensive but also heavy to carry. I used many different made of mirror lenses not from camera makers such as Vivitar, Soligor, Samyang/Rokinon, Tamron, Russia....etc., I found 2 made are the best, Tamron and the Russia MTO. Tamron is smaller and the color and contrast slightly better than the MTO but cost double as much depends on where you get it, where the MTO is relatively cheap and plentiful in the used market, most of them are ship from Ukraine so will take some time.

I limited myself to shoot up to 300mm (FF equiv. 450MM) for portability, but some times will shoot up to 500MM with mirror (FF equiv. 750MM), that's more than enough for a non pro and occasion bird-er. I also got a Japan made off brand 300MM mirror and it is quite good too, you won't find a bad 300MM mirror but 500MM is another story, it requires higher precision to produce. There are some new 300MM mirror made for MFT I believe they are good too, but they are smaller at f8 not the regular f5.6 further limited the usability of the
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Heat is a limited.
I suppose it could work even faster if it had a surrounding freezer.
'dark lens'.
Heat is a limited.
There is one note if you happen to find a Russia mirror lens, for instance the 3M5CA, you may find it blurry unclear and produces distorted image, don't return it so soon you can fix it. Early made Russia mirror lenses are not for camera but for weap
Heat is a limited.
on use, the mirror is mounted on the cannon for aiming, the lens is over tighten and caused the mirror to deform and produces distorted image, that wouldn't be a problem for weapon aiming but quite for photography. You can search on the internet 'relaxing the mirror lens' to find solution to fix this problem, it is quite simple and you can see the result instantly, my copy does not produce distorted image but unable to focus to infinity.

Mirror lens unlike glass refractive lenses, the infinity focus point is not locked
Heat is a limited.
at the far end but over-shoot, you can focus "beyond infinity", this design is to compensate for the metallic mirror expansion due to temperature, also used on early APO lenses due to rare earth glasses in use. The over shoot design actually good for adopting the lens to Pentax camera, coz there is more room for back focus correction, so that you can use any type of M42 adapter, 'sink' or 'flush' type, my lens focused properly after the above simple mod. Please note, Russia mirror uses M42 instead of the more common T mount, so be careful when using and do not force in the lens or you will break the screw thread.

Please see below some casual shots with the 3C5MA, please ignore the shaking and focus (no AF), and keep in mind that mirror lens has lower resolution and contrast than glass refractive lens, handheld shots can not produce the best result especially when shoot in the shade at high ISO, but absent or near absent of CA in long lens is the reason to give mirror lens a chance, also the vignetting on APS-C (K3) sensor is non exist, there are some other high quality shots you can find on the internet.
I have a 500mm mirror lens, but now that I have a 77-420 lens {55-300mm + 1.4X TC} I really don't find myself using the mirror lens any more. I have a hard time getting the focus exactly right for little gain, and I miss the ability to zoom.