Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-28-2019, 04:10 PM - 2 Likes   #1

Models at photo shows

Interestingly, I had heard of photographers such as Joe Edelman talk about how the worst way to build your portfolio is to go to a workshop or show and take pictures of their models. I kind of understood what he meant, but going to Photoplus and seeing photographers going gaga-goo-goo over beautiful models was almost absurd. Now, I will admit I did take many photos of a dancer, but I unfortunately was in the wrong seat and got some good shots but would have to devote too much time in photoshop to remove the lousy background because of my angle. Also shooting dance is one of my specialties so its hard not to want to take pictures of a dancer. My point is that you can take a picture, but it's not really your shot. You didn't decide the lighting, you didn't collaborate with the dancer, you didn't select the outfit etc... More importantly you couldn't change the lighting so if the look was not what you were looking for, too bad. These models most of them women just went into their automatic "I'm a model" pose and it was just too fake for me. Now nothing against the models, they were working extremely hard all day. It's just that we had no relationship, no connection and thus no image that would make my portfolio. Photoplus was a great experience overall. I got to hear some amazing photographers talk about there craft. So again, if you are building your portfolio, this is not the place to do it. If the lighting is the same and you really don't have much flexibiltiy in where you want to shoot, how are your pictures really going to be much different that the other 3000 photographers that took that same shot? Also, Canon had a runway and some of the lights really needed to be re-positioned and you had some very unflattering shadows. However, people were clicking away. My advice, contact some models or aspiring models, learn your craft and build your portfolio one model at a time. To each there own.

Last edited by Angel Perez; 10-28-2019 at 04:55 PM. Reason: grammar
10-28-2019, 04:43 PM - 2 Likes   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Very good points. Do your own work, not something canned. Thank you!
10-28-2019, 05:14 PM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

I'd look at it as an opportunity to try out different techniques and hone skills for when you are doing a serious shoot.
10-28-2019, 05:53 PM - 1 Like   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mike L Quote
I'd look at it as an opportunity to try out different techniques and hone skills for when you are doing a serious shoot.
Cool. It's great that you are going with a purpose. Thanks for giving us a different perspective.

10-28-2019, 09:13 PM - 3 Likes   #5

I would hazard to guess that a significant portion of the photographers snapping away lustfully aren't doing it to build a portfolio.
10-29-2019, 02:54 AM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
I would hazard to guess that a significant portion of the photographers snapping away lustfully aren't doing it to build a portfolio.

I knew a guy like this. He often spoke about all the "beautiful women" he photographed. I got the impression that he was more into the beautiful women than actual improving his photography! Nice work if you can get it I guess.
10-29-2019, 04:08 AM   #7

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Workshops are good for learning and I guess is easier with an experienced model. But if you don't have control of the model due to too many photographers the artistic style will suffer. I found someone who isn't a promodel but has seen many gloss Mags and without prompting copied these along with a wonderful expression.
10-29-2019, 06:26 AM - 1 Like   #8
Journeyman Cat Wrangler
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
Ah the stereotypical GWC! (Guy with camera.) Or maybe just the creeper.

10-29-2019, 06:37 AM - 2 Likes   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Angel Perez Quote
Interestingly, I had heard of photographers such as Joe Edelman talk about how the worst way to build your portfolio is to go to a workshop or show and take pictures of their models. I kind of understood what he meant, but going to Photoplus and seeing photographers going gaga-goo-goo over beautiful models was almost absurd. Now, I will admit I did take many photos of a dancer, but I unfortunately was in the wrong seat and got some good shots but would have to devote too much time in photoshop to remove the lousy background because of my angle. Also shooting dance is one of my specialties so its hard not to want to take pictures of a dancer. My point is that you can take a picture, but it's not really your shot. You didn't decide the lighting, you didn't collaborate with the dancer, you didn't select the outfit etc... More importantly you couldn't change the lighting so if the look was not what you were looking for, too bad. These models most of them women just went into their automatic "I'm a model" pose and it was just too fake for me. Now nothing against the models, they were working extremely hard all day. It's just that we had no relationship, no connection and thus no image that would make my portfolio. Photoplus was a great experience overall. I got to hear some amazing photographers talk about there craft. So again, if you are building your portfolio, this is not the place to do it. If the lighting is the same and you really don't have much flexibiltiy in where you want to shoot, how are your pictures really going to be much different that the other 3000 photographers that took that same shot? Also, Canon had a runway and some of the lights really needed to be re-positioned and you had some very unflattering shadows. However, people were clicking away. My advice, contact some models or aspiring models, learn your craft and build your portfolio one model at a time. To each there own.
The only thing that helped me when I went to this kind of events was to try and talk to the model, asking her if she needs a glass of water or if she wants to sit down for a moment to relax her feet while I fake to shoot her so that she won't be asked why she is not posing. Often models are ignored by the organizer of the events and by talking to them and find out if you can make their life easier, even for 5 minutes, it may help to get a different look than the standard one that everyone got. Other than that, it isn't much that you can do...

Last edited by Dan Rentea; 10-29-2019 at 07:02 AM.
10-29-2019, 07:02 AM - 1 Like   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Dan Rentea Quote
The only thing that helped me when I went to this kind of events was to try and talk to the model, asking her if she needs a glass of water or if she wants to sit down for a moment to relax her feet while I fake to shoot her so that she won't be asked why she is not posing. Often models are ignored at such by the organizer of the events and by talking to them and find out if you can make their life easier, even for 5 minutes, it may help to get a different look than the standard one that everyone got. Other than that, you don't have much to do...
That's extremely thoughtful. In front of a beautiful woman, many guys will play the rooster. It might be genetic. Going beyond and engaging with a person isn't as common.
10-29-2019, 07:09 AM - 2 Likes   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
That's extremely thoughtful. In front of a beautiful woman, many guys will play the rooster. It might be genetic. Going beyond and engaging with a person isn't as common.
For me, the look or the expression of the model makes or breaks a portrait. I don't care if there are another 100 people photographing the same model with the exact same lighting. If I manage to make the model to give me a certain look or a certain expression, that image can be a lot better than the ones from the others. Sometimes I sit in a corner with a tele lens and I try to capture a candid pose. Other than that... it's a public event so I don't go there to take a shot of each model that is posing.
10-30-2019, 06:34 AM   #12
Journeyman Cat Wrangler
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Dan Rentea Quote
For me, the look or the expression of the model makes or breaks a portrait. I don't care if there are another 100 people photographing the same model with the exact same lighting. If I manage to make the model to give me a certain look or a certain expression, that image can be a lot better than the ones from the others. Sometimes I sit in a corner with a tele lens and I try to capture a candid pose. Other than that... it's a public event so I don't go there to take a shot of each model that is posing.
I suspect that you get better results this way than anyone out there just clicking away Dan. I think that if photographers remember that there is a human being up there, not a posing automaton, they will get better effort and results from the model.
10-30-2019, 07:15 AM - 1 Like   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by SSGGeezer Quote
I suspect that you get better results this way than anyone out there just clicking away Dan. I think that if photographers remember that there is a human being up there, not a posing automaton, they will get better effort and results from the model.
I became friend with a model at a cars event where she was hired to pose next to some expensive cars. She was tired at the end of the day, she had another 2 hours to stand and pose for people and I asked her if she needs a glass of water, a glass of juice or a tequila shot. She laughed and told me that her feet hurt her due to high heels. I ask the guy responsible of that stand if I can photograph the model while she is sitting inside one of the cars because I want to get some interior details with a person inside the car. He was very ok with the idea and I managed this way to help the model sit in that car for 10-15 minutes and rest her feet. Now I shoot her from time to time when we have free time...