Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
10-31-2019, 08:23 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Strange and Ornery Old Tripod, Help Requested.

Here is the beast in question, which I got second hand with a bunch of other stuff.

The feet are adjustable as either rubber (relatively hard and non-sticky) or spikes. However, the "spread" of the tripod legs appears to have no locking mechanism at all. It appears to rely purely on the legs having enough friction not to slip on the surface they're resting on.

From testing, this appears to be fine on grass and rough surfaces such as asphalt. It is absolutely DISASTROUS on wooden and linoleum floors.

Am I missing something?

Also, what do all the knobs do? There seem to be things I'm missing here, and my google-fu is weak when it comes to finding a manual online.

10-31-2019, 08:38 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
First, perhaps that big lower thumb screw in the right is supposed to tighten or lock the legs.

Second, is there any chance the tripod is missing a set of links between the legs on the lower part of the first set of leg segments that prevent spreading?
10-31-2019, 08:54 AM   #3

It looks like the company that made the tripod is still in business but more into component manufacturing and no longer making tripods.

You might try contacting them to see if they may have a user instructions in their archives.

When the Smithsonian was restoring a German WW2 fighter (FW-190) and they need some bearings for the control surfaces the company that made the originals was still in business, still making the same bearings with the same part/catalog number.

http://www.bilora.com/en
10-31-2019, 09:07 AM - 1 Like   #4

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
When the Smithsonian was restoring a German WW2 fighter (FW-190) and they need some bearings for the control surfaces the company that made the originals was still in business, still making the same bearings with the same part/catalog number.
It takes a German to keep the same part number over decades.

10-31-2019, 11:53 AM   #5
Pentaxian

I'm thinking that tripod was intended for shooting movies since it only has pan/tilt abilities.
10-31-2019, 12:37 PM   #6

The rubber hardened with age. When it was new the rubber was softer and "stickier". How far the legs spread? My father had an all metal tripod from the 50's that had no locks on the legs but they'd only spread out about 20-30°.
10-31-2019, 02:32 PM   #7
Pentaxian

It looks somewhat similar to a tripod my father had, where the legs intentionally spread far apart in order to let the user position the camera lower down. No centre column, no adjustable head, just reversible 1/4 - 3/8 screw at top. Can't recall how the movement of the legs was adjusted / limited - I used it as a flashgun stand, with a piece of knotted string to retain the legs where I wanted them !

10-31-2019, 02:35 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Being German-made, and all-metal construction, my guess is that this tripod is quite respectable even if it is old. I bought my Kamero tripod in the 70's at K-mart. It was an 'entry-level' model at the time. However, it is WAAAY better quality than today's entry-level tripods. It has all-metal construction, and the leg locks and tilt-pan-and rack-and-pinion riser locks are all very firm and positive after decades of use.
10-31-2019, 08:24 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I've got an old tripod kind of like that, not quite as fancy, called a Quick Set Champ. An older gentleman gave it to me almost 20 years ago when he decided it was too heavy for his needs. The legs just pivot out and have three telescoping sections. It's dead simple and dead sturdy. I think a lot of older tripods without elevator mechanisms had legs designed like that. Not A Number is also likely correct that the rubber feet have probably hardened over time. I know the ones on mine are like rocks.
11-01-2019, 05:45 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
How far the legs spread?
It's a disgusting, lewd tripod that spreads its legs far, far apart with despicable ease.

QuoteOriginally posted by 35mmfilmfan Quote
Can't recall how the movement of the legs was adjusted / limited
That's the basic problem I've been trying to solve. If I spread the legs not that far apart it will stay where it is, but I'm still nervous about trusting it with any camera. Beyond a certain point, it just wants to slip all the way down, and even if it doesn't topple I don't like what the deceleration at the bottom might do to a DSLR's innards. I will use it, but with a careful eye on what's going on, and I'm not going to move my hands very far away from it at all when there's a camera mounted.