Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-03-2019, 07:55 PM   #1

What are your thoughts for deciding to sell (or not)

I am currently suffering from mixed emotions regarding : "Should I sell" or "Should I keep".

I have some pieces of Pentax equipement that I don't really need or use (older lenses or body, not a K-1 ).

What comes to your mind deciding between the 2 above questions?
  • Hassle of / running around for (negative thoughts ) :
    • taking picture of equipment (the only "fun part"),
    • calculating the postage cost (weighting, mesuring),
    • estimating the "right/appropriate" value (for me and for the future buyer),
    • preparing and posting an ads
    • negociating with potential buyer,
    • preparing the package,
    • shipping the package
  • Gaining (positiv thoughts ) :
    • a bit more money in my pocket,
    • buyer would be happy of their purchase,
    • more space on the shelves (and wife is happier about the cleanup )
What makes you decide to sell?

It seems to me there is much more negative efforts(than positive ones).
Do you feel, sometime, it's easier to keep it and not bother?

I am really undecided about what to do.
Am I missing some points?

Thanks.

Last edited by mhoule418; 11-03-2019 at 08:44 PM. Reason: Typo
11-03-2019, 08:10 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
What about the positives on the "Should I keep" side?
  • having a back-up body or second body if you need it,
  • changing your mind about an old lens (your shooting interests might change),
  • holding on to older kit for nostalgia reasons.

And there's a third option: Maybe a young relative or friend would really enjoy an old body and one or more lenses as a starting point in photography.
11-03-2019, 08:35 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
First I think whether I need it or not, then whether I will use it or not, and finally whether I will be able to purchase it again or not. I have sold many lenses that I have ended up buying again because "I missed them"
11-03-2019, 08:41 PM   #4
Pentaxian

have quite a few items that I should sell but too lazy about the hassle of doing so....mostly too little coin to be made from it is the belief I tell myself

there are also those things that came in 'bundles' that I consider junk that I hold on to and care not to sell the junk because of the 'hassle'

11-03-2019, 08:54 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Aaron28 Quote
have quite a few items that I should sell but too lazy about the hassle of doing so....mostly too little coin to be made from it '

Used photo gear sales seems to be slowing on Ebay. I've sold lots of gear on Ebay over the decades, and I've never seen a time like this when grossly under-priced gear does not get a single bid.

Could it be the economy, or maybe the gear photographers already have is good enough, or maybe us oldsters have already purchased all of the gear we need and the younger generations are not buying "big" gear as they are happy with their smart phones?
11-03-2019, 09:22 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Reason to sell - I have equipment I don't use.

Reason to not sell - Most of said unused equipment is of fairly nominal value, (common bodies and lenses that might sell for $20-$50 each).
Collectively, selling all the unused bits might net a few hundred dollars, perhaps as much as $1000, but as you mention, each item requires
a fair amount of hands on in order to net $20-$50 at a time.
11-03-2019, 10:02 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
It depends on if you have anything good or if you just have a bunch of $20-30 lenses.

Last year I sold off a bunch of old things that were given out as Christmas gifts from a old job. They were only $30-50 items and I had about 15 of them but after buying boxes and packing material and then ebay fees it didn't seem worth it.

11-03-2019, 10:47 PM   #8
Inactive Account

yes, totally agree on the Hassle of taking photo to list thing on sale. But if I don't use it for too long, I would rather sale than keep it. Maybe because I am in Japan, so I don't feel like keeping it when there are a lot of Pentax gears in the used market... and new.
11-04-2019, 12:06 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I have an absolute ton of stuff thats built up, slightly duff lenses, cases, adaptors, lens hoods etc tyatbhave built up as a by product of collecting. I have to get it onto eBay but its such a grind I cant be bothered.

I also have two perfect film cameras which dont really fit in with the collection but I happen to like shooting them and kind of attached to them and am trying to summon the will to sell them.

Sighs, it looks like a mountain to get over getting this stuff sold.
11-04-2019, 12:23 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I sold a few things on fleabay for charity a few years back (including some non-Pentax lenses) but that’s it really. To support what photoptimist said; I gave my *istDS to one of my sons when I got the K-5 (but missed it, so bought another one!), and then gave the K-5 to another son when I got the K-3II.

Won’t give the K-3II away if I get the K-New though...
11-04-2019, 12:30 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Good question, I have an interest since I have some low value stuff that needs moving on.
Has anyone tried bundling low value lenses / bodies?

My new years resolution is to shift these things.
11-04-2019, 12:53 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

There are thee categories in my lens box, Keep Forever, borderline & won't be missed. After a bout of runaway LBA I needed to trim my collection but the only purge I normally do is when there is something I can't "live without" but can't quite afford.
11-04-2019, 02:34 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Wait... its possible to sell camera gear?

As you can tell I'm pretty bad at moving gear on. I did eventually sell my Canon AE-1 and my K-x and at the time it was for two reasons:
1. Raise a little extra cash to finally have enough for a new lens (I forget which one now!).
2. Free up some clutter.

I'm definitely due to sell some stuff though as clutter is accumulating and I still hope to buy a decent UW prime some day.
11-04-2019, 02:41 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I just have a large cupboard and a tolerant wife! Some Ks, some As; a plastic fantastic 35/f2.4 (currently on the *istDS): the DA50/f1.8 I got free with the K-3II but only used once: the 18-55 kit lens replaced by the 16-45/f4 wobble-nose zoom, subsequently replaced by the 20-40. They’re all too aesthetically pleasing to think about parting with.
11-04-2019, 03:07 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Off the top of my head, these are the lenses I have sold and subsequently re-acquired:

DA15 Limited
FA20
DA20-40 Limited
DA40 Limited
FA43 Limited
FA50/1.4
Helios 44-2
DA*50-135
DA70 Limited
K135/2.5
FA135/2.8
DA*60-250