Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-07-2019, 06:39 PM   #46
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Leumas Quote
well with my K-1 Astro mode should give me MUUUUCH longer exposures. So probably a better bet.
When doing astrophotography the best 2 things to throw at the problem are a larger aperture and more exposure. Having even limited tracking with wider field of view is better than untracked with a narrower field of view. You can always crop the image after stacking and with some program you can upscale with good results because with enough images you can drive down the noise and eventually end up doing a super res image because the object moves across the frame from shot to shot and then you have to recompose every few shots. Deep Sky Staker calls this feature drizzle as do most astro image stackers and they will have a 2x to 3x option.

11-07-2019, 06:47 PM   #47
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Leumas Quote
I think it's been some time, that's kinda the joke. Dude's 57, so I hope it's been a while lol
I'm pretty sure he has grandkids.
11-08-2019, 12:01 AM   #48
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MossyRocks Quote
When doing astrophotography the best 2 things to throw at the problem are a larger aperture and more exposure. Having even limited tracking with wider field of view is better than untracked with a narrower field of view. You can always crop the image after stacking and with some program you can upscale with good results because with enough images you can drive down the noise and eventually end up doing a super res image because the object moves across the frame from shot to shot and then you have to recompose every few shots. Deep Sky Staker calls this feature drizzle as do most astro image stackers and they will have a 2x to 3x option.
Sorry to derail the thread but do you know if that superresolution technique can be performed using a program other than Adobe Photoshop?
11-08-2019, 07:16 AM   #49
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MikeyBugs95 Quote
Sorry to derail the thread but do you know if that superresolution technique can be performed using a program other than Adobe Photoshop?
You would probably get better results using other programs as I've found that other programs do a better job of aligning images than photoshop does. I've done it with moon images as photoshop really chokes on those. My workflow there is:
Develope in RawTherapee with a crop around the moon that has it in all frames with a 2x nearest neighbor upscaling to 16 bit tiffs
Align using the Hugin program align image stack with several iterations. General procession, course X/Y alignment (scale 4), fine X/Y alignment (scale .5), a very fine X/Y alignment (scale .1), a very fine rotation alignmnet (scale .1), a final very fine X/Y alignment (scale 1)
Then you can load the images into photoshop or gimp as layers in a stack and do the average merge or set the opacity of each layer in the set and flatten
Then just work on bringing out the detail.
In the end I usually down sample to the original size but with much less noise and a substantially sharper image.