Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
11-07-2019, 11:28 AM - 1 Like   #1
Pentaxian

Another reminder to not step backwards while composing

Here's a very good example of what not to do while composing a shot. In dangerous spots - cliffs, near water, near moving vehicles, and many other less obvious dangers - always look before moving your feet. Video Captured the Moment a Woman Almost Fell Into the Grand Canyon While Taking a Photo

Looking before stepping is smart even when photographing in a less dangerous place. A trip over your camera bag on the ground, a curb, or a child that ran behind you will not be fatal, but can still lead to injury.

11-07-2019, 11:46 AM   #2
Veteran Member

I refer to this phenomenon as 'spatially aware', (or conversely, spatially unaware), and it has long been one of the qualities
of humanity that fascinates me the most. I am always amazed at how spatially unaware some people can be. At its most benign
it manifests as bumping into corners or walking in one direction while looking in another. Taken to its extreme you are likely to
end up in the News of the Weird column.
11-07-2019, 12:01 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by tvdtvdtvd Quote
I refer to this phenomenon as 'spatially aware', (or conversely, spatially unaware), and it has long been one of the qualities
of humanity that fascinates me the most. I am always amazed at how spatially unaware some people can be. News of the Weird column.
Some people may refer to that as evolution and natural selection
11-07-2019, 12:20 PM - 2 Likes   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sergysergy Quote
Some people may refer to that as evolution and natural selection
The phenomenon is so prevalent it's a wonder 'autodarwinate' has yet to be accepted into the Oxford Dictionary.

11-07-2019, 12:28 PM   #5
Pentaxian

I saw that in the news a few days ago. Yeah. Gotta be careful around there & similar spots.
11-07-2019, 12:30 PM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yikes, that will haunt my dreams tonight.
11-07-2019, 12:40 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Also, it is good to have situational awareness, relating to those around you. I was at a state reserve called Point Lobos one afternoon and was on a trail that had a bit of a drop on one side. I was paying attention but somebody who wasn't bumped into me and got my heart racing. Now sometimes I just wait for people to clear before getting my shot.

11-07-2019, 12:43 PM - 1 Like   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Wow if I was standing on that outcrop I would be deeply paranoid and probably not worry about the camera too much.

But then I totally get how this can happen. I have found it can be quite disorientating when using an UWA and especially if looking up with it - leading me to lose my balance a couple of times (fortunately not near a big drop though)
11-07-2019, 01:38 PM   #9
Pentaxian

One which always amuses me is people walking into, or tripping over, street furniture while staring intently at their 'smart'phone. Obviously smarter than they are - and probably smarter than the average bear.
11-07-2019, 01:56 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I like the fact that her friend gave her a good shake.
11-07-2019, 02:00 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That particular story made me wince when I saw it a few days ago. I've been to the Grand Canyon and taken my slr with me. I walked up to the rim and established my position carefully each time. I didn't move without looking without the camera in my view. I avoided situations like this by being smart. This was doubly important since I was alone and had at times home on trails below the rim (nothing too strenuous ). I recall a park ranger's speech to kids reminding them to take care of their parents and make sure they didn't wander off the edge. At that time it had been 100 years since a child had died by falling a record that no longer stands as it was broken a while back.

Moments like these are sobering. I hope the woman depicted makes something wonderful out of her moment of rebirth.
11-07-2019, 02:33 PM - 1 Like   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

"Selfie" deaths have risen incredibly over the last few years. Here's an article on a couple who wasn't so lucky: Couple Falls to Death During Selfie at Same Yosemite Cliff as Viral Photo

This isn't an entirely new phenomenon though -- I remember reading about a contemporary of Ansel Adams who was also a gifted landscape photographer. They found his large format camera and tripod set up at a cliff edge but I don't think he was ever found -- they assumed he'd fallen to his death.
11-07-2019, 02:37 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I saw a video of a man with a camera taking a picture near some railroad tracks, a train goes by and missed him by about 1 inch
11-07-2019, 02:58 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by foxandcrow Quote
I like the fact that her friend gave her a good shake.
IIRC that was her mom and had been yelling at her to not take another step back.
11-07-2019, 03:21 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I read an article a few years ago that claimed 5% of mountaineering accidents were due to people taking one step back too many (many being so called 'experts' who should know what they're doing.