Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
3 Days Ago   #1
Veteran Member

The love of vintage film camera

I am not an expert in this area, but happened to know a Russian photographer and he found me something nice and interesting, 2 camera in particular I would like to bring out namely the Fed II and the Leningrad.

The Fed II has a very smooth shutter like the Leica, it is not too hard to find and not expensive, not a hot item in vintage camera nothing too special, but I like the sound and handling of it, it is a poor man's Leica.

The Leningrad is very special has a spring loaded film advancing mechanism, can shoot up to 20 frame at 3fs in a full wind, due to the 'high speed' film advancing it uses a very smooth glass film pressure plate and it is fragile, the one on my first copy broken due to long shipment from Russian, luckily the 2nd shipment arrived safe and sound, if you are interested to get one, be sure to pay more for express shipment.

3 Days Ago   #2
Pentaxian

I've always wanted to have a go with a Rollei 35.
3 Days Ago   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I got a 35s long time ago, now still on my ebay search !
3 Days Ago   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Iíve shot with Leicas and I have a Fed 2. They arenít the same. The Leicas are far smoother in pretty much every way. That said, I like the Fed.

I bought a Petri Color 35 as a poor manís Rollei 35. I like it a lot, but the tiny form factor isnít ideal for everyone...

-Eric

3 Days Ago   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yes Leica is smoother of course, I actually got a M2 used long time ago, also a Minolta CLE 40mm. Poor me I couldn't afford other lenses and I was still young to know the art of photography back then, the setup was simply to serve the purpose of ďhaving a Leicaď, so I traded the set for something more suit for me.
3 Days Ago   #6
PJ1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I like my MX. My first Pentax and a piece of photographic art that I still enjoy looking at. A nice older camera with shiny metal and leatherette always looks good. And the well engineered ones are hard to beat.
3 Days Ago   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The Fed looks like the Zorki 4K my brother once owned, but neither is really like a Leica in use, dear me no!
3 Days Ago   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by StiffLegged Quote
The Fed looks like the Zorki 4K my brother once owned, but neither is really like a Leica in use, dear me no!
My first Russian RF was the Zorki 4K and I tried couple of them, not really enjoy using them, most of them suffer from shutter cloth jam problem, luckily my Russian friend helped me to test and repair before send to me, I like the Fed 2 more it is an easy camera rarely fail on me, I did not take many photos with it I just enjoy playing around with the shutter. The beauty of Russian vintage RF is that almost all models are user serviceable, I can adjust the RF easily, in fact most of the Russian RF I received require adjustment. I also got a Kiev 4 and a set of lenses, it is a very complex camera very hard to self service. If I must choose between Leica and Contax (including copies) I would go for the Leica. I did own a couple of Contax SLR, they are heavy metal machines for example the 167MT, RTS II is better, unlike Leica that smooth and quiet, this also reflect on the images they took, Contax/Zeiss even CZJ is tack sharp high contrast, Leica one is smooth with nature color more easy to the eyes.

3 Days Ago   #9
Pentaxian

I have a small collection and would certainly like a few different FEDs in it