Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-13-2019, 12:13 PM   #1
Total n00b Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Unexpected Find in the Attic

So, I stopped by my parents' house last night to see if I could find the old manual focus camera that I got to run a roll or two of film through as a teenager. I was curious as to the brand and model as it was probably from roughly the 70s as it was originally my dad's from work at the federal government. With the time frame, I figure there is a decent chance it could be a Pentax. I'm almost certain it's not an SLR, but I could be mistaken. If it is an SLR, it's the only lens he ever had for it as the government only needs one to get the pictures they needed during mine inspections. Sadly, since my parents weren't home, I wasn't able to find it in any of the places I thought it likely to be. But, while I was going through the attic apartment where my wife and I lived with our daughter until our son was born, I found 3 other 35mm cameras.

One was a little Pop camera that IIRC takes 4 separate images on a single frame, possibly in different colors or some such? It had a roll of film in it that was about halfway used. I took a few pictures real quick to finish off the roll and now have what could be an interesting roll of film to develop with no clue, other than the last few exposures what is on it. It was a pretty cheap toy camera, so not sure of the quality as I don't remember ever actually using it, but I apparently did put film in it and someone used it.

I also found a disposable camera that was fully used. This one will be slightly challenging as I have no idea where to take a disposable camera to get it developed. The roll of film I think I can possibly still take to Walmart or at least mail away to get developed. I'm not sure where the disposable can go. But I have no clue what could be on that camera or from when it even could be. I can't remember the last time we used a disposable.

The 3rd camera we think might have been my wife's point and shoot. I know it's not one of my old ones. It does have a roll of film in it, but had no photos taken yet. Probably going to give it to my oldest to have some fun with since the one she picked up at Goodwill doesn't seem to work.

So while I didn't find the camera I was looking for, I did find some other surprises that will be interesting to get developed. And I'll just have to go back over after my parents get back to look for that other camera.

Edit: Sorry if this isn't the right section for this post. I wasn't sure where to put it.

11-13-2019, 12:38 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
The 4-lens camera could be one of the lomography cameras with four images on a single frame of film.

There were other cameras going back at least to the 1980s that did basically the same thing (to analyze golf swings and such).

It could also be a nimslow 3D camera. That needs special processing to get 3D prints.

Anyplace that can do color film can do the disposable camera. They used to be recycled, but it will likely just be trashed once the film is retrieved.

-Eric
11-13-2019, 12:39 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Cool story. My wife and I found an old disposable camera a few years ago and dropped it off at the nearest pharmacy that does one hour photos or whatever. They knew what to do with it. It was really fun speculating about what was on it, and then finding out. Despite the fact that it was at least 15 years old, the pictures came out fine.
11-13-2019, 12:49 PM   #4
Total n00b Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TwoUptons Quote
The 4-lens camera could be one of the lomography cameras with four images on a single frame of film.

There were other cameras going back at least to the 1980s that did basically the same thing (to analyze golf swings and such).

It could also be a nimslow 3D camera. That needs special processing to get 3D prints.

Anyplace that can do color film can do the disposable camera. They used to be recycled, but it will likely just be trashed once the film is retrieved.

-Eric
It's definitely not a 3D camera. My sister got it for me as a Christmas present in either the very late 90s or the early-mid 2000s IIRC. My money is on being a lomography camera of some sort. I vaguely remember the packaging and thinking it was gimmicky but could be neat. Which is probably why I put film in it. It cost somewhere around maybe $20 as it was fairly cheaply made and was packaged like the sort of novelty items next to the registers as you're checking out of a store.

---------- Post added 2019-11-13 at 02:56 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Sir Nameless Quote
Cool story. My wife and I found an old disposable camera a few years ago and dropped it off at the nearest pharmacy that does one hour photos or whatever. They knew what to do with it. It was really fun speculating about what was on it, and then finding out. Despite the fact that it was at least 15 years old, the pictures came out fine.
Yeah, I'm rather curious to see what could possibly be on it. It's been 11 years since we lived there, so that's the newest it could possibly be. I'd say it's probably closer to 15 or more years since it was actually used though.
As for taking it to a pharmacy, out here in the middle of nowhere, I don't think our pharmacies do film any more. I'm not even certain the Walmarts here still offer film development. Certainly not 1-hour development. I'd kind of like the negatives back which rules out Walmart as well, but I can probably just accept digital only at this point. From what I've read when looking for developing film, the Walmarts that do still do film development all send them off to some company to do the development and only give you the prints and/or digital copies back. Seems that is true of most chains anymore. I only know of one camera store in the area anymore and plan on heading over there to see what they can recommend. And to see if they happen to carry any Pentax equipment or if they'll try and sell me Cannikon gear.

11-13-2019, 01:12 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Walgreens can process the disposable camera. They don't do it in-store, it will be sent to their processing location. You will receive prints and a CD. Takes about a week.
11-13-2019, 01:17 PM   #6
Total n00b Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by paulh Quote
Walgreens can process the disposable camera. They don't do it in-house, it will be sent to their processing location. You will receive prints and a CD. Takes about a week.
Thank you! We do have a Walgreens a little over a half hour away, so that's doable.
11-13-2019, 01:18 PM   #7

How are the lenses laid out on the 4 lens camera? If they are in one row than it is probably a Nishika 8000 or similar 3D camera. These are used to make the "lenticular" 3D prints - like the post cards or badges you see with a plastic prisms over the print. The four images are cut into slices and interlaced on the print. The prisms will only show one or two sets of the strips which change with your angle of view.

Nishika 8000 4-lenses 3D camera
11-13-2019, 01:25 PM   #8
Total n00b Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
How are the lenses laid out on the 4 lens camera? If they are in one row than it is probably a Nishika 8000 or similar 3D camera. These are used to make the "lenticular" 3D prints - like the post cards or badges you see with a plastic prisms over the print. The four images are cut into slices and interlaced on the print. The prisms will only show one or two sets of the strips which change with your angle of view.

Nishika 8000 4-lenses 3D camera
It's in a 2x2 square. I just did a quick search and came up with the "Accoutrements Pop Cam - Novelty Camera" on Amazon which is a dead ringer for what I have at home. Not sure if it's the same brand or a knockoff or whatnot, but it looks pretty much just like that and after reading the description, it reminds me of the language that was on the package when I first got it years ago.

It "produces photos that mimic the image repetition and saturated color palettes of famous pop artists" and "cool effects" and definitely feels like a cheap toy, though it does take 35mm film. I have a feeling perhaps my (at the time) 3 y/o might have played with it or something? I don't remember ever opening it, putting film in it, or using it. But obviously I probably had to have done at least 2 of those things. Or perhaps my wife did. Will be interesting to see what is on the film.

11-13-2019, 01:27 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Nishika's have appreciated in value quite a bit since that blog post was made...

QuoteQuote:
The Nishika 8000 is still available on Amazon US for as low as 7.90$ (+postage). The best deal we have found is at 13.98$ including free postage for US destinations.
If you click the link on the page the item that comes up is $359.99. The best price from other sellers is $199.95 after shipping. The most expensive is $599. IIRC they are popular because you can scan the 4 images to make an animated GIF.
11-13-2019, 01:39 PM   #10
Total n00b Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I just looked up the Nishika 8000 via that link and that's actually kinda cool. But sadly, I'd most likely have to resort to developing it myself, which I have never done, and have no room to do. Though I do have the slight advantage of my wife having developed film sometime back in high school in an art class. Sadly, she grew up in a much bigger area outside of Philly while I'm out here in the middle of nowhere. Our dark room at school had been closed since before I was in high school. Was just another storage room. (My class was the last to graduate over 100, my youngest has about 40ish kids in his class.)
11-13-2019, 04:17 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The problem with Nishika cameras is getting the film developed. The original 3D lenticular prints are difficult to get. Snap3D.com says they make prints but the website is difficult to navigate.
11-13-2019, 04:43 PM   #12
Total n00b Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
From the little bit of searching I did, it seems a lot of people end up developing it themselves and then scanning it into PS.