Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-14-2019, 01:07 PM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Culture Quote
Thanks guys. But as I mentioned the point and shoot part is not a problem. Well because I am behind the camera.

I want to be part of the pictures when we travel. Decades from now, my kids can remember that I was part of the trip. Not the photographer who followed them around.
A zoom obviously will be ideal. But I am trying to go a little compact, taking into consideration that I am not going for a photography trip. But yes I tripod will be taken.

As for the staged version. Its just a preference for the walls.
sorry, I missed that little part about being part of the photograph.

There are some good suggestion, such as asking someone to take the photo for you. Or simply carry around a small tripod or mono pod (with tri-leg) base. Doing this allows you to use a timer or wireless release. As far as lens size goes, that would be your call. I find a 50mm works well in small group shots, but you could go wider.

11-14-2019, 01:39 PM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I remember back in the 70's or 80's (can't remember) I decided to create a family web site. I just used Microsoft FrontPage to create it. Took lots of pictures to upload & display, but ran into a problem. My three daughters kept track of who was in the most pictures and how many of them. My son could care less, but the girls were always complaining if one had more pictures posted than the other. I quickly got tired of this and completely changed the web site to be about motorcycles and long distance travel. They were still in some of the pictures, as they traveled a lot with me. One of the best photo trips was when I took the three girls on a sidecar trip from Washington down through Oregon, California and Nevada. They loved motorcycle camping.

I think I am a little off topic now, so I will close.
11-15-2019, 08:17 AM   #18

What I tell people I'll do is upload them to either a Google Drive or flickr album.

But what I end up doing, is hoarding all the pictures in neatly labelled folders on my computer until someone reminds me to post them.
11-18-2019, 07:21 PM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Bringing a PlatyPod can be helpful for getting the photographer in the shot:

11-26-2019, 08:49 AM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Culture Quote
I want to start documenting moments that family spend together on trips.
Of course some are just point and shoot.
But I want to do those staged ones for the walls without being left out.
I will like to do this with less of a hassle as possible.

What lens do you normally go with?
How do you compose your shoot on the go?
Admitted a phone on a selfie sick will be the easy option.
But the front facing camera is terrible.

Any ideas?

Culture.
Years ago I read an article by a female photographer in one of the photo magazines about this very subject. The woman had discovered the box with all the vacation photos that her late father had taken over the years when she was growing up. She was enjoying them and looking at how her family had changed over the years. Then she realized that the only person who was not in the photographs was her father. After thinking about this for awhile, she realized that her father was in the photographs after all. He was documenting the fun that those who he loved were having. What came through was the love her father had for his family.

Personally I hate photographs of me as I simply can not smile on command or pose worth a darn. I am the polar opposite of photogenic. From my point of view, I add nothing good to the composition. We took some epic family vacations in the early 1990's and I am happy to say that I am only in a few photographs taken by either my wife or the kids as they all had cameras too.

The best advice I can give you is to hand your camera to a person who is toting his or her photo gear around and have them take a for shots of you and your family. While toting gear I have been approached several times to do this and always gladly oblige. You can also be certain that they will not run off with your camera as they are already loaded down with gear and certainly do not want to lug around any more. Plus they are probably pretty good at things like composition etc.
11-26-2019, 12:22 PM   #21

Photos: Albums
I’ve noticed that the selfie cameras on smartphones/tablets have got a LOT better recently, so I’m getting into a few more family pictures these days.
But I also sometimes find a convenient spot for the camera and use a small remote control.