Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 44 Likes Search this Thread
11-14-2019, 10:07 AM - 2 Likes   #1
Forum Member

Car show photography etiquette

I've been to a few vintage car shows hoping to get beautiful pictures of old cars, but end up with pictures of cars with their hoods open. It's hard for me to admire the great lines of an automobile with hoods and doors open, and I really don't find it attractive.

My question would be: would it be rude to ask the owner to shut the hood and doors for a photo? Is there a good reason they leave them open?

My wife makes me delete photos of her with her mouth open... just saying.

11-14-2019, 10:25 AM - 2 Likes   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I feel you. I am more interested in the looks than the inner components but I have learned to live with it and take different pictures (e.g. macros of engine parts). I think if you approach owners with a compliment about the car and explain why you want them to close the hood they would be happy to do it for you. Ah! and good luck avoiding people in your pictures
11-14-2019, 10:37 AM - 1 Like   #3
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't think it is rude to politely ask

I agree with the advice given by Sergysergy

I think if you go spend some time admiring and talking about what you like about the vehicle, what is the history of the vehicle etc

take a few photos

and then ask if the hood could be shut

you might be successful

as to why

perhaps to show

how well the engine has been maintained

original equipment or not

what the engine actually is
11-14-2019, 11:10 AM - 1 Like   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by M_D_K Quote
My question would be: would it be rude to ask the owner to shut the hood and doors for a photo?
Engage the owner in conversation and they may be very happy to do so.

Is there a good reason they leave them open?
Judging or to show off their work. When the judges are about, they expect things to be open for inspection, particularly if it is concours judging.

Steve

11-14-2019, 11:13 AM   #5
Veteran Member

vintage car shows
shut the hood and doors for a photo? Is there a good reason they leave them open?
Remember they are proud of their cars and they want to show off all their work. Don't forget many of the spectators are also car buffs
and want to see inside.
11-14-2019, 11:18 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Another reason the hoods are open is the concours competitions at these shows. Everything must be spotless including the engine. This is why they display like this.

Just ask they will be more than happy to oblige.
11-14-2019, 11:38 AM - 2 Likes   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My question would be: would it be rude to ask the owner to shut the hood and doors for a photo? Is there a good reason they leave them open?
I go for photo outings to a number of classic car shows and weekly 'cruise nights' in Ottawa and around the Ottawa valley. While I think that I've improved my photo skills at these events, I still find several challenges -- open hoods, dash plaques and identification signs on the windshield, and lawn chairs and coolers. There's also the usual challenge of trying to minimize spectators in the images.

I find that owners like to show off several aspects of their vehicles, such as customization, paint jobs, chrome work, upholstery, and engines. Engines are especially important if they are of uncommon displacement for that model or if there has been some custom work on radiators, air filter system, etc. Small details are really important to some owners; even reinforced hoses and weld joints can be a point of pride. Of course, original parts and installations are also key at these shows.

On occasion, I will strike up a casual conversation with the owner, let him/her know that I'm just a hobbyist photographer who also likes cars. I may show them a couple of images that I've taken of their vehicle or compliment them on a detail of two. I might politely ask if they wouldn't mind closing the hood or removing the ID card for a few minutes so that I could take a full 3/4 view of their very nice car. So far, everyone has seemed quite pleased to accommodate. I think the key is to engage the owner and talk a bit about the car and their experience with it.

On the other hand, I don't find that open hoods are overly distracting in some of my images, especially if I've grabbed some shots of the front of the car and its engine.

I find that arriving slightly earlier than opening time can help -- the place is not too busy yet, many of the cars are already there, and many hoods might still be closed. And the natural light tends to be better earlier in the morning. Work quickly to get the pictures before the crowd arrives!

- Craig

Last edited by c.a.m; 11-14-2019 at 11:52 AM.
11-14-2019, 12:24 PM - 2 Likes   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Car shows are just not ideal locations to properly photograph a lovely vintage car. The cars are crowded too close together, the lighting is not that great, there's all sorts of people wandering around in the background etc etc.

They are, however, an ideal place to meet people who own these vehicles. My inclination would be to strike up a conversation with an owner and express your desire to create a really awesome photo in a suitable out of the way location in perfect light near sundown. It shouldn't be too hard to find someone who would go along. Go out and shoot. Make two wall sized prints. Sell one to the owner. Take the second print around to show at next year's show and drum up some business.
11-14-2019, 12:50 PM   #9
Veteran Member

If you ask him to do something for you to improve the image, I would suggest giving the owner your business card and offer them a digital copy of the image. They are always happy to receive photos of their cars.
11-14-2019, 01:23 PM - 1 Like   #10
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bobell69 Quote
If you ask him to do something for you to improve the image, I would suggest giving the owner your business card and offer them a digital copy of the image. They are always happy to receive photos of their cars.
Thanks to you and all of the great suggestions. I will take these all into consideration. I completely understand the comments about all the other distractions around cars at these events, people, chairs, signs, trophies, etc.

I was able edit out a lot of distractions (people, trees, boats, aardvarks) in a photo I did for a friend (who loves his car so much, he named her "Marie"). Fortunately he was in the process of wrapping up for the day, and had put away his trophies and signs. This is still a hobby for me, but I can see stuff like this could appeal to car owners.

11-14-2019, 01:24 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Is there a good reason they leave them open?
If it is a judged show, the judges may need to see the interiors, engine compartments, trunk, etc. Usually the criteria are listed on the program or announcement. Often the times for judging are announced, but before or after those hours, owners will often open or close upon request. Another time to remember is between the award ceremony and the departure, when you can often be in a spot to see all the cars outside of their often close parking spots, and get several good shots as they drive past.
11-14-2019, 01:38 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Every show, every car and every owner is different, but I usually try to engage the owner in a nice meaningful conversation. If I see a chance, I may ask politely if possible. I have asked owners for their email address and I send them processed pics as a thank you.

Thanks,
11-14-2019, 02:17 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I think it was well covered but taking a few shots and talking to the owner and the requesting a closed hood shot tends to get the job done.

I kind of like those gleaming engines so I'm likely to ask them to open the hood!
11-14-2019, 02:19 PM   #14
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
. . . I kind of like those gleaming engines so I'm likely to ask them to open the hood!
I can imagine that you could get some interesting photos of the engine and its parts with a macro lens

but don't touch the vehicle if you lean in close
11-14-2019, 02:24 PM - 4 Likes   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
I can imagine that you could get some interesting photos of the engine and its parts with a macro lens

but don't touch the vehicle if you lean in close
I actually use ultrawide or fisheye for most. I can't find an example right now.

Generated from my Motorola o using tools.sportscard.trade

Last edited by UncleVanya; 11-14-2019 at 02:32 PM.