Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-15-2019, 09:17 AM - 2 Likes   #31
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by clickclick Quote
This. And not only don't ever ever touch, but also be really sure that nothing dangles, swings into, or otherwise somehow makes contact. And it's not without basis. Thin aluminum skins (common on many vintage hoods and trunk lids) and concourse paint can be damaged more easily than one might imagine.
hell has no fury like an vintage auto owner if s/he thinks you touched the vehicle

11-15-2019, 09:53 AM - 1 Like   #32
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
hell has no fury like an vintage auto owner if s/he thinks you touched the vehicle
Being a musician, I can completely understand. I had someone touch my saxophone once. Just once. He won't ever do that again. I'm sure a lot of people feel that way about their camera equipment too.
11-15-2019, 11:20 AM   #33
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
I actually use ultrawide or fisheye for most. I can't find an example right now.

Generated from my Motorola o using tools.sportscard.trade
Nicely done. A lot of the engine work on these cars is truly a labor of love, so who can blame car owners for wanting to show off their accomplishments?
11-15-2019, 02:28 PM   #34
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
And never, ever, ever be this guy. He was fired shortly after.

11-15-2019, 02:34 PM - 3 Likes   #35
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
That guy is lucky he was only fired. He could be dead. I've seen signs in local car shows that read "Afterlife? Life after death? Touch my car and find out!"
11-15-2019, 05:39 PM   #36
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ismaelg Quote
That guy is lucky he was only fired. He could be dead. I've seen signs in local car shows that read "Afterlife? Life after death? Touch my car and find out!"
The lack of respect is nuts.
11-16-2019, 06:01 AM   #37
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by simple1 Quote
And never, ever, ever be this guy. He was fired shortly after.
I can't fathom why anyone would ever think this was ok - wow.

Another classic dolt maneuver is putting one's butt against a car, as in leaning back on it. Not only does it distort the panel, but if they are wearing jeans and have rivets on the pockets......

11-16-2019, 06:14 AM   #38
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

my suggestion

establish a safe minimum distance being aware of anything dangling from your body that might swing out
your jacket, sling bag, backpack etc.

and then move back a little
11-16-2019, 07:27 AM   #39
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ismaelg Quote
Agree. Stupid should hurt.
I suspect he'll continue to do obnoxious/stupid things and at some point it will cost more than a job.
11-16-2019, 07:30 AM - 1 Like   #40
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Common sense is the least common of the senses. Showing respect to the subject and the owner (regardless if it is a car, and antique lamp, a chair, a power tool or a lawn mower) will take you very far.

Thanks,
11-16-2019, 12:27 PM   #41
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by simple1 Quote
Agree. Stupid should hurt.
I suspect he'll continue to do obnoxious/stupid things and at some point it will cost more than a job.
Somebody should explain to this doofus that the cars are not props are set pieces or props; they are the reason why people are attending this show in the first place. Would he drape himself over a broadway headliner like that?
11-17-2019, 01:21 PM   #42

QuoteOriginally posted by ecostigny Quote
Would he drape himself over a broadway headliner like that?
Probably depends on how much the headliner had to drink after the performance...
11-17-2019, 02:04 PM   #43
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by M_D_K Quote
I've been to a few vintage car shows hoping to get beautiful pictures of old cars, but end up with pictures of cars with their hoods open. It's hard for me to admire the great lines of an automobile with hoods and doors open, and I really don't find it attractive.

My question would be: would it be rude to ask the owner to shut the hood and doors for a photo? Is there a good reason they leave them open?

My wife makes me delete photos of her with her mouth open... just saying.
Rules for photogs at car shows: you can look but do not touch ; do not go behind barriers or ropes unless owner/show staff agree. hardest part is getting shot without another member of the public not in it; if you like the car and want a better angled shot, talk to the owner and inquire about the car-how long have they had it, who rebuilt it, is it taken to many shows, etc. Sometimes the person standing beside you that you think is a member of the public is actually the owner.
11-17-2019, 05:05 PM   #44
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by VSTAR Quote
hardest part is getting shot without another member of the public not in it
I usually make more than one pass around the displays in order to improve my chances of getting a car without the crowd.

Wear a neutral color so you reflection in the chrome won't be as noticeable.
11-17-2019, 05:41 PM - 1 Like   #45
Pentaxian

never hurts to ask!! the worst is no and there are plenty of other vehicles to hit up

it's hit or miss on what they don't mind....sometimes it is not convenient either

the owner of the chevy closed the hood and took off any signage on the car....he was all about having his car photographed even before I got the yashicaflex tlr outta my bag

this fella wanted his pic with the car doors open in all....did not mind with vw tool box on the spare.....he couldn't believe I was using a tlr