Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-18-2019, 10:28 AM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Had somone try to scam me on ebay one time. Sent me a fake ebay message saying it had been "PAID". Checked paypal and no funds and where they wanted it sent was a fedex store location, presumably so it would be harder to find them. Luckily I didn't ship it.

Hopefully you will get it back as sometimes that happens, but unfortunately the odds are not in your favor when something is stolen.

11-18-2019, 12:10 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by swip Quote
Very sad news indeed. Hopefully, Paypal will compensate your loss.
The thing is, it appears that Paypal was not actually involved, if I am reading the OP correctly. The supposed communiques from "Paypal" were faked.
11-18-2019, 01:53 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
The thing is, it appears that Paypal was not actually involved, if I am reading the OP correctly. The supposed communiques from "Paypal" were faked.

If that is the case, that really sucks.
11-19-2019, 05:51 AM - 2 Likes   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
If that is the case, that really sucks.
*PayPal was "impersonated" by the scammers: in fact, if we would've simply required the sale to go through PayPal proper (via accounts, rather than email confirmations) we would've been safe.

In the aftermath, PayPal has been helping with the recovery effort (in progress) - so they've gone above and beyond, along with the Doral PD Criminal Investigations Unit. Lots of people are helping with this effort. Will update.

11-19-2019, 06:26 AM   #20
Pentaxian

Not sure if it can help but I'd post in all possible social media the warning with pictures and the serial number so people can start sharing.
11-21-2019, 12:33 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I see the camera is posted in Market Place. So it has been successfully recovered I presume?
11-21-2019, 12:40 PM - 2 Likes   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I see the camera is posted in Market Place. So it has been successfully recovered I presume?
It was recovered - yes! I created a new thread to update about that - but failed to circle back to the original post, here. Apologies. And thank you for the reminder reply.

With a lot of help, we intercepted and recovered the fraudulently sold 645Z. And yes, now it's for sale in the PF MarketPlace section. Safe and sound, thankfully well-packed when we shipped it.
11-21-2019, 12:42 PM - 1 Like   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ErinWilson Quote
It was recovered - yes! I created a new thread to update about that - but failed to circle back to the original post, here. Apologies. And thank you for the reminder reply.

With a lot of help, we intercepted and recovered the fraudulently sold 645Z. And yes, now it's for sale in the PF MarketPlace section. Safe and sound, thankfully well-packed when we shipped it.
So happy to hear it was recovered, best of luck with an honest sale.

11-21-2019, 01:13 PM - 1 Like   #24
Pentaxian

Saw it in the marketplace. Initially did not noticed the seller and thought: WAIT! Is this the stolen one? I FOUND IT!
11-21-2019, 03:46 PM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ErinWilson Quote
With a lot of help, we intercepted and recovered the fraudulently sold 645Z.
Glad to here you got the camera back unscathed. Hopefully, the listing on the forum will move quickly, and you will get the funds for real soon.
11-21-2019, 03:55 PM   #26
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Scammers make me sick. I'm so sorry this happened to your group. Good luck on the recovery.
I agree. Obviously with this hi-tech scam, any one of us could have been the victim. Certainly hope you will get that camera back, and they are prosecuted!

Wait! I see now, that you have recovered it! Wonderful!