Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-26-2019, 05:47 AM   #16

Nothing as brutal as some of these, but I had a 70-210 mounted on a pentax ME super, all balanced on a clearly-not-quite-stable-enough tabletop tripod. I turned away, and heard the *clunk* of the whole thing nodding forward onto the desk, and the filter on the front of the lens becoming significantly less round. The whole rig was inherited from my Dad (to whom I had to own up to said misdemeanour!), and in fact he still had the lens (included said dented filter ring) which I pinched from him when I went to visit a couple of weeks ago.

11-26-2019, 06:09 AM   #17
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Stewtheking Quote
Nothing as brutal as some of these, but I had a 70-210 mounted on a pentax ME super, all balanced on a clearly-not-quite-stable-enough tabletop tripod. I turned away, and heard the *clunk* of the whole thing nodding forward onto the desk, and the filter on the front of the lens becoming significantly less round. The whole rig was inherited from my Dad (to whom I had to own up to said misdemeanour!), and in fact he still had the lens (included said dented filter ring) which I pinched from him when I went to visit a couple of weeks ago.
Oh... come to think of it, I have something similar to that...

Years ago, I bought a brand new Sony RX100 - the original version. I got it just after the MkII was released, so it was a fair bit cheaper than at launch... but still, not an inexpensive purchase. The week after I bought it, I went for a week's vacation to Lundy Island in the Bristol Channel. I was staying in a rental property in the old castle, and it had a stone floor in the kitchen. When I came in from a long walk on a cold morning at the start of my break, I rested the camera on a rather uneven wooden sideboard, then set about taking my hat, coat, gloves, boots and sweat-top off. As I was wriggling out of my sweat-top, I knocked the week-old Sony onto the stone kitchen floor... It landed on one corner of the metal case, dented it in badly enough that the in-built flash would no longer pop out. I still have the camera in storage somewhere...

I'm not sure that counts as abuse, so much as outright stupidity. Still, the end result surely qualifies...
11-26-2019, 06:25 AM - 1 Like   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have 3 bad abuse recollections, the worst of which is dropping my K1MKII with sigma 70-200/2.8 plus 2x sigma TC. The lens hit on the hood, splitting it, and bending the mount of the TC. Ok $200 for the new TC and a bit of epoxy and black cloth tape on the hood and all good as new

Other abuse includes being caught in the rain and high humidity, with my tamron 28-75 / 2.8 XR di . It foggy badly if it is cold and put into a humid environment and takes about 20 minutes for the moisture to go off the element next to the diaphragm

Lastly my *istD and FA28-105 power zoom getting swamped in a kayak. Opened all covers and removed the lens, 4 hours in the sun and all was fine.

All of the above still work
11-26-2019, 06:47 AM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
My son was very hard on my K5 and K3, but they still work well (apart from a somewhat sticky and stiff on-off switch acquired in the Borneo jungles). The K3 also spent a lot of time underwater in a diving bag whilst scuba diving, without ill-effects. However, the worst episode was when he left the K3 on a beach and didn't notice till he got home. Thankfully, someone found it, went through the menu and found his copyright name, and contacted him through facebook (it helps to have a unique name). Recovered at the cost of a slab of beer.

He has his own D850 now.
That was really impressive that someone was good enough to return it, and thought of how to track him down! What a save!

11-26-2019, 06:49 AM   #20
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kiwizinho Quote
My first camera was a Cosina Pentax mount. It died when I tried to jump a creek and slipped or dropped the camera bag or something, and it hit a rock, cracking a big hole in the pentaprism housing. The lens survived, so I went and bought a Pentax P-50 which was my first true Pentax. That was way back in 1990.
More recently, just a couple of weeks ago, I wouldn't actually call it abuse, but perhaps a little risky, I was trying to photograph some moths on a tree with my D-FA 100 macro, on my K-70, but they were just a bit far away, and there was a bit of a steep gully between me and them. I tried balancing on a small tree stump, but decided that wasn't stable enough, and was likely to end up doing a face plant with camera in the creek.
There was a foot bridge over the creek, so my plan B was to attach my camera to the end of my tripod, hold onto the tripod feet, and balance the tripod on the bridge handrail, with the camera and rest of the tripod leaning out over the gully using the legs of the tripod as a lever, using the wifi app on my phone to check focus and trigger the shutter. I know it sounds pretty crazy, but I was actually reasonably confident I wasn't going to drop anything, and I actually got the photo I wanted.
Yes, it does sound risky, but clearly I've done similar to get the shot. Rather ingenious, I think
11-26-2019, 07:03 AM   #21
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Wow, people, these are some scary stories. Nothing much to add here, though dangling the camera from the neck strap that came with it from a height of around 15 meters over a concrete floor because I had slipped from a wet roof beam when I was rebuilding our house may qualify as abuse (thankfully I was wearing a harness so I was safely, but uncomfortably, suspended). Getting back onto the beam was anything but easy. The two of us survived.
11-26-2019, 07:05 AM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Grabbed my camera bag one time and the zipper was open. The result was a kinetic event involving a K-7 w/DA*50-135 and a tile floor. The K-7 was none the worse, the 50-135 was DRT (dead right there).

11-26-2019, 07:05 AM   #23
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by AggieDad Quote
Oh, where do I start?

Two that come to mind have to do with sand and both occurred on the Texas Gulf Coast.
  1. Every once in a while I head out to the flats to capture shore birds. This is done on my belly using a groundpod and my Sigma 15--500 lens on the K-3II. One day was particularly hazy and moist. When I returned to the cottage, I discovered how much the camera and lens were covered with a coating of damp sand. I had to let the sand dry before removing it with a brush, Q-tips, and alcohol wipes. Somehow everything survived.

After a morning in sand on our bellies. I am third from left.

2. Another beach story found me changing lenses (really!) on a windy beach so I could get a better picture of something (I can't remember what). I wasn't even thinking and really didn't realize what I was doing until another photographer mentioned to me I was a lot braver than he was. I got lucky and no problems occurred.

But perhaps my most egregious crime against my Pentax is simply the images I produce with a camera that is capable of absolutely stunning results.
I love that picture. Glad the camera survived!

QuoteOriginally posted by blues_hawk Quote
The second worst thing I've done was with my K5 while mounted on a Newtonian telescope waiting for me to get around to using it(and skies to stabilize). I was watching some movie or anime or something and heard a noise that sounded like rain. ... it was rain, and hard..Virginia hard. I ran out the door, ripped the cover off the gas grill on the porch and ran to cover the mount and scope with it. The next morning I started surveying the damage. An ASI120c-s full of water, the mount had water in the motor bay and The SCT corrector looked like a glass bottom boat in a swamp...inside. The K5 was wet and I was really worried water had gotten inside since the side bay must be open to use the dc supply and tether it. Everything's still working after drying procedures so I guess I got lucky.
I had a similar setup with a CHDK Canon point and shoot I had set up in a makeshift "waterproof" case to capture lightning. I would chase storms and set it out there. Several iterations of my setup occurred after several failures found after the storm - tripod tipped over and the case filled up with water, the case had a leak and filled up with water. Same thing, surprised everything kept surviving.
11-26-2019, 07:42 AM   #24
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Stewtheking Quote
That reminds me, I've had one bad tripod fall and that was with my K-3 and Rokinon 14mm. I turned to watch it fall, and saw it fall straight down on the lens. Luckily, I had the lens cap on, as this is a rather bulbous lens. The lens itself and camera was fine, but the lens cap and the built-in hood on the lens were damaged. Took my breath away for a bit because at the time that was the most expensive lens I owned and I absolutely had no way to replace it...
11-26-2019, 07:45 AM   #25
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by simple1 Quote
Grabbed my camera bag one time and the zipper was open. The result was a kinetic event involving a K-7 w/DA*50-135 and a tile floor. The K-7 was none the worse, the 50-135 was DRT (dead right there).
Same thing happened my wife when she picked up my bag with my K-1 and Tamron 28-75. The bag was unzipped and she didn't know, and they plopped onto a tile floor. The glass was fine, but the lens was jammed and left crooked, so it wouldn't focus right. Sod it for parts. She still apologizes to this day even though I insist it was my fault for not putting away my kit
11-26-2019, 07:52 AM - 1 Like   #26
Pentaxian

At a pretty little canyon-beach on the Napali Coast of Kauai, I waded out with my K-5 to get close-ups of some aquatic critters clinging to a rock. What I got, instead, was a close-up of a wave that hit me and the camera square in the face. Fortunately, the K-5 laughed it off although it did leave a small crescent-moon of salt under the glass on the back panel.
11-26-2019, 08:07 AM - 1 Like   #27
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

This one time, I went deep in the field to shoot some astro milky way shots and I got all the way out there and realized I forgot the tripod plate....
I tied the camera to the tripod with my wife's hair elastics that I found in the car..
After taking a couple shots, the camera slipped out and crashed down on my 18-135mm's lens hood and shattered it.
I'm surprised I was able to find the pieces and back at home I was able to glue it back together..
Quite needless to say, the photos didn't turn out either...
11-26-2019, 08:15 AM   #28
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My old spotmatic has gone for a few unintentional swims in lake Superior over the years. Apart from having to toss the roll of film so I could completely dry the camera out it hasn't suffered ill effects. I also really like to freeze my K-3 and attached lens. This time of year they end up frost covered but in another month or 2 it will be so cold and so dry that frost won't form. Daytime outdoor shooting in -10F and nighttime shooting at -20 to -25F.
11-26-2019, 08:31 AM   #29
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Probably not the best thread to post in if one is looking to sell his/her gear

Couple weeks ago I brushed my k3ii against some rocks while hiking, the camera was on my backpack strap with a clip. This added two superficial scratches to the right, the most significant signs of use in three years and over 30k shutter actuations. I use it in rain and such, but that doesn't count as abuse for me, it's a Pentax after all
11-26-2019, 08:31 AM - 1 Like   #30
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by FozzFoster Quote
This one time, I went deep in the field to shoot some astro milky way shots and I got all the way out there and realized I forgot the tripod plate....
I tied the camera to the tripod with my wife's hair elastics that I found in the car..
After taking a couple shots, the camera slipped out and crashed down on my 18-135mm's lens hood and shattered it.
I'm surprised I was able to find the pieces and back at home I was able to glue it back together..
Quite needless to say, the photos didn't turn out either...
I have done the impromptu tripod setup many times. Thankfully no spills yet, but I totally get it.