Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-28-2019, 04:02 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I would go with mSATA Mini SSD or a typical 3.5'' SSD. SD card make me nervous. You know sometime you delete images or files and it just go away. Not in trash can, it just gone and can not be recovered. With traditional HDD or SSD, you still have an option to recover it. many free tool on internet to DIY when things really go bad.

11-29-2019, 04:43 AM - 1 Like   #17
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
A NAS is a good idea, but I would like to say that redundant storage (RAID) is not a backup per se. In other words, data stored solely on a RAID volume is not backed up at all.A NAS can, of course, be used as a backup of e.g. your internal storage, and it can back up your data to a variety of storage systems.
That's a good point. When I looked a RAID configuration on a NAS, I realized that data storage optimization involves partial redundancy, not 100% safe per say. I found a special offer on singulated drives, so that was 50% cheaper than buying a NAS with the same effective storage capacity.
11-29-2019, 09:25 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
That's a good point. When I looked a RAID configuration on a NAS, I realized that data storage optimization involves partial redundancy, not 100% safe per say. I found a special offer on singulated drives, so that was 50% cheaper than buying a NAS with the same effective storage capacity.
Indeed!

There's a whole menu of RAID configurations (Advantages and Disadvantages of Various RAID Levels - DataPacket Blog) that offer various trade-offs between speed versus fault tolerance. It's true that two of them (RAID 5 & 6) use partial redundancy to offer a combination of BOTH higher speed and some fault tolerance. RAID 5 can handle the failure of a single drive at a time (with a rebuild time of some hours during which the array is vulnerable if a 2nd drive should fail). RAID 6 can handle the failure of two drives at the same time (with a rebuild time of some hours during which the array is vulnerable if a 3rd drive should fail).

It's also worth noting that any RAID array can fail at the system level. The software and hardware that is managing the array can fail and corrupt the all the disks in the system.

Buying two (or more) singulated drives and duplicating the data across them is similar to RAID 0 and is the safest option. But it's not 100% safe from fire, flood, theft, earthquake, ransomware, etc.
11-29-2019, 09:45 AM   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
It's also worth noting that any RAID array can fail at the system level. The software and hardware that is managing the array can fail and corrupt the all the disks in the system.
Right. And besides failures, there are various malware/ransomware (some even targeting NAS units, so pay attention to the configuration), users mistakenly deleting data...
There are protection mechanisms, of course, and overall I like a NAS better* than a DAS - as the data isn't managed by the more easily infected PC. Backups remain mandatory though... if you care about the data

* except as a working drive

Edit. Make those versioned backups.

Last edited by Kunzite; 11-29-2019 at 10:49 AM.
11-29-2019, 12:18 PM   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
But it's not 100% safe from fire, flood, theft, earthquake, ransomware, etc.
Those are rare events, I'd have other priorities in those cases than saving my photos. HDD tech is actually very reliable these days, it's endurance tested to pretty high standards. I had one occurence of failure in 2001, but the core of the HDD itself was fine, I was able to retrieve my data by unmounting the inner HDD and assembling it again in an external box. Connectors can become unreliable over time, which can cause a user not to be able to access the HDD after a few years of use. I had one micro usb connector fail on a compact HDD (fortunately all the data were also saved onto another drive). Since then, all the HDD I bought were with more robust connectors, and so far I didn't have any issue. Currently using two parallel HDD of 5TB each, I paid 80 Euros each, access time is even faster than the local SSD I have in my notebook.
12-01-2019, 06:12 PM - 1 Like   #21
Veteran Member

If you can set it up, a Network Attached Storage is one of the best solutions for backup. You can not only have large network accessible drive, but it can even automatically back itself up to an external attached to it.
12-02-2019, 10:48 AM   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by y0chang Quote
If you can set it up, a Network Attached Storage is one of the best solutions for backup. You can not only have large network accessible drive, but it can even automatically back itself up to an external attached to it.
+1.
It can automatically back itself up to pretty much any storage type.
Though I still have to set up the cloud backup... procrastinating on which provider to choose.