Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 18 Likes Search this Thread
12-02-2019, 02:42 PM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pres589 Quote
ThinkTank Mirrorless Mover 30i here. And a Domke slip-resistant shoulder strap. The bag fits a 35mm film body and a spare lens and a couple of rolls of film quite well beyond the camera and a lens itself. Or lately it's seen duty carrying a film camera + 50mm lens plus my K-5 II and 18-135 or Sigma 28 f1.8. I have a single divider placed in an offset fashion so that one side is wider than the other. I bought it for carrying the K-5 with a spare lens and it works quite well for that, too.
Having mirrorless in the name suggests it's too small, but that isn't right as you have found out. It looks a nice size.

QuoteOriginally posted by yucatanPentax Quote
I most often use the Lowepro Passport Sling which is a simple over-the-shoulder bag. It's not too large for daily or incidental use and comfortable to wear for long walks.

Although it is made for a body with mounted lens and perhaps one additional lens, I find that it can carry much more. The rear has a zipper that expands the capacity. Using something like a Tenba camera/lens wrap or Domke protective wrap (padded cloth with velcro), more items can be placed in the non-padded rear. The wraps come in different colors so you instantly know what's inside each one. For extra padding in the rear, I usually add an additional open wrap on the bottom/sides, then load the wrapped lens or body.

In the front compartments, I can carry more than one prime per compartment. Again, the wraps are used to cushion and protect each additional lens, stacked in the bag's thickly padded area. If I carry the camera over the shoulder (sling strap) or with the Peak shoulder strap, the bag can carry a half dozen lenses.

(I do use safety tethers, just in case anything fails on the camera attachment).

I've carried both my K-3II and K-5SII bodies in the bag, with another couple lenses besides those mounted. There's space for a water bottle in front. Small pockets for a notepad or other items. Zippered inside pocket for batteries and memory cards.

It's not too much, not too little, and flexible for small or larger loads.

The Passport Sling is now into version III. I have one of the originals and one of version II. I prefer the original. Seems like they got that one right and the other "improvements" weren't really necessary. ;-)
Sling bags - I ordered one somewhile back and returned it as I thought it awkward for my use cases. I can see how they are good load carriers, I just preferred a backpack. These days I try and avoid taking two bodies, unless one is a film camera.

QuoteOriginally posted by carlb Quote
I bought a Crumpler Jackpack 7000 (I think - it's the biggest one anyway) for my KP and DA Limiteds plus the 100 Macro and DA50 but couldn't quite fit everything in using the dividers that came with the bag. I had a variety of Domke inserts that are a bit thinner and with a bit of trial and error I came up with a set up that means I can fit everything in there......plus a small bottle of water on the bottom.

And the Crumpler is almost a kilo lighter than the Domke F2 it replaced!
How do you like the Jackpack 7000?, they are nice bags, just the padding lets them down.

12-02-2019, 03:07 PM - 1 Like   #17

I like my Vanguard Heralder 38.. that bag is superb! It can take even 50-500 without any problem.

When less stuff is needed, then I have Vanguard Up-Rise 28 shoulder bag.

And concerning backpacks, my favourite is Kata 3N1 30, which unfortunately is not being produced any more.. but company that bought Kata bags is now selling similar backpack. It is great because it can be used as shoulder bag with side entrance.
12-02-2019, 04:38 PM - 1 Like   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kevin B123 Quote

How do you like the Jackpack 7000?, they are nice bags, just the padding lets them down.
I really like the bag and find that the padding is fine for my purposes. It's the inserts that I'm not keen on - they're too thick and not all that versatile. And there's that insert that has what I guess is meant to be a pocket to slide a mobile phone into - I just can't see the point of it to be honest - it takes up too much room without achieving much.. I found my Domke inserts to be much more useful although I have used a couple of the inserts that came with the bag in the arrangement I finally settled on.
12-03-2019, 01:37 PM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Many times I just like to take a camera and one lens in my casual walk / going out. For this I want to have the bag attached to my belt.

Best (smaller and lighter) solution I have found is the Case Logic Briker BRCS101. The My K-S2, with the DA 40mm 2.8 XS or the FA 50mm 1.4, fit perfectly.

12-03-2019, 01:48 PM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ddharriman Quote
Many times I just like to take a camera and one lens in my casual walk / going out. For this I want to have the bag attached to my belt.

Best (smaller and lighter) solution I have found is the Case Logic Briker BRCS101. The My K-S2, with the DA 40mm 2.8 XS or the FA 50mm 1.4, fit perfectly.
Oohhh that is nice! do you side mount it like a holster or have it in front so your arms can swing?.
12-03-2019, 02:06 PM - 1 Like   #21
Pentaxian

I have it on my left side like a holster, and I have no problems with my arms swinging when I walk.
The few times I have moved it to a more center position (it’s easy to do so), I find I’m “jumping up” the bag with my left leg every step I make, which is something I do not like, so I just return it to the holster position.
12-03-2019, 02:18 PM - 1 Like   #22
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by yucatanPentax Quote
I most often use the Lowepro Passport Sling which is a simple over-the-shoulder bag. It's not too large for daily or incidental use and comfortable to wear for long walks.

Although it is made for a body with mounted lens and perhaps one additional lens, I find that it can carry much more. The rear has a zipper that expands the capacity. Using something like a Tenba camera/lens wrap or Domke protective wrap (padded cloth with velcro), more items can be placed in the non-padded rear. The wraps come in different colors so you instantly know what's inside each one. For extra padding in the rear, I usually add an additional open wrap on the bottom/sides, then load the wrapped lens or body.

In the front compartments, I can carry more than one prime per compartment. Again, the wraps are used to cushion and protect each additional lens, stacked in the bag's thickly padded area. If I carry the camera over the shoulder (sling strap) or with the Peak shoulder strap, the bag can carry a half dozen lenses.

(I do use safety tethers, just in case anything fails on the camera attachment).

I've carried both my K-3II and K-5SII bodies in the bag, with another couple lenses besides those mounted. There's space for a water bottle in front. Small pockets for a notepad or other items. Zippered inside pocket for batteries and memory cards.

It's not too much, not too little, and flexible for small or larger loads.

The Passport Sling is now into version III. I have one of the originals and one of version II. I prefer the original. Seems like they got that one right and the other "improvements" weren't really necessary. ;-)
Passport Sling bag is often my bag of choice, I like that it's expandable, can carry one, and sometimes 2 cameras in it

12-03-2019, 03:12 PM   #23
Veteran Member

I am just about to get a Caden K1. Back in the day I had a no name bag that was superb, held all my street gear easy and was waterproof, tough as old boots and nicely padded. Since coming back to shooting film ai have really struggled to find something as good. These days I am mostly hiking and I have been seeking something that works with a backpack on, gives me reasonably fast access, keeps the camera out of harms way and doesnt get in my way when I am on the trail. i have tried a few things out and now I am going to give the Caden a go. Normally I like to take the camera and a couple of primes plus film and thats it so am hoping the Caden will work out.
12-04-2019, 07:39 AM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Astro-Baby Quote
I am just about to get a Caden K1. . . .These days I am mostly hiking and I have been seeking something that works with a backpack on, gives me reasonably fast access, keeps the camera out of harms way and doesnt get in my way when I am on the trail.
I'm curious as to how to make the Caden K1 work while wearing a backpack. Draped over shoulder and pack?
12-04-2019, 11:49 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Well I am plannimg on having it bandolier style with the pack on the front and then put the backpack over it on my back. Last year on the Camino I used a bit of military gear, something like a large fanny pack slung as a high riding holster but it completely knackered my hip bone after a few miles each day.
Recently I have been using a holster style pack slung as a bondolier style style under the backpack but the holster has done my head in. Its the No Limits one by Dorr and useless. Its about as waterproof as kleenex even with its rain cover on, the zips are terrible and always jam and it tends to bounce alround all the time when walking. I am hoping the Caden with its waist strap will work out better as a more secure bandolier.
My big worry with the Caden is it will be too big as I shoot 35mm classic cameras and want only a camera, film rolls and perhaps one or two additional lenses both of which are normally quite small compared to modern DSLR lenses although they tend to be much heavier.
12-06-2019, 11:47 AM - 1 Like   #26
Veteran Member

Well the Caden K1 was a wash. Badly designed and poorly constructed.

Issues....the neck strap adjuster ends up right in the middle of your back which is going to make it torture with a 30liter back back over the top. The soppy lot at Caden should have put the adjuster at the bag end not halfway up the strap.

When the bag is zipped up the only thing keeping the ends of the flaps secure is a strap, it basically leaves gaps where water and drek could get in the bag. Stupid, stupid, stupid a pennies worth of extra material would have secured it.

The top of the bag where the zips and clips are is a nightmare, too crowded with zips and clips meaning the zips can snag and the clips can be fouled by yarn on the zips. Somone got over zealous with small pockets and stuff thats not much use. Better basic design would have been the way to go.

Its way too big for what it holds, my old camera bag in the 80s was scarcely larger and could hold two bodies with their lenses, two additional lenses, flash, filters, hoods, mino tripod, cleaning kit, spare batteries and 10 rollls of film. The Caden would struggle to handle a single SLR and two lenses safely in a bag thats almost the same size due to its poor layout.

They should either make it smaller or think the layout out a lot better. With limited internal dividers ( only 3 ) and an odd shape the bag is very limited. Much space is wasted and unusable unless you want to put the gear in harms way or be messing about pulling out velcro dividers to get at stuff or having gear in internal sub bags which is always going to be a faff.

Internal velcro is very poor and dividers tend to give too easy with only minimal load. I wouldnt trust it under even mild conditions to keep my gear safe.

The compartment for the lenses is an accident waiting to happen, open the bag and whooops lens just falls out as the lens compartment tends to open with a downward angle and theres nothing to retain the lens.

Cheap netting on the outside is going to last five minutes of use. Lots of small pockets that are going to be useless because of either their size or location.

Its quite well padded but feels cheap and nasty and the cutting is poor causing the strap to wrinkle and fit badly round the body as its been inaccurately cut and machined. It needs tailoring.

Mines going back....its a real shame because with more thought and better construction and materials it could be a real winner but its far too big and sloppily constructed for a bag that only holds a camera and two lenses.
I have read a review where someone said it didnt fit a DSLR they owned, lord only knows how big the camera was. Oh and as an aside why did people use to whine and moan in the 70s and 80s that cameras were too big and it hurt their lickle handy pandies which created a race to make teeny tiny SLRs a’la OM1s and MX and these days swan around with DSLRs the size of a small car.

For me its back to the drawing board in a struggle to find a compact hikeable bag for an SLR and a couple of lenses. It dont have to do much apart from protect the cameras but that seems to be too much to ask of modern bags.

Had a look at a Crumpler.....think that was a name picked for what would happen to your gear in it....far too flimsy. Would suit a city boy but didnt look like it would offer much protection to the gear when on a mountain in the rain.

If anyone has any ideas for a bag thats waterproof without having to resort to a seperate rain cover, thats well made and can actually protect gear and which can be slung on your front with a backpack on and wont swing about and bang into stuff please let me know.
12-06-2019, 06:28 PM - 1 Like   #27
Pentaxian

The main issue is that I like bags, so every now and then I need to resist getting another. But for now I have these solutions:

1) every day, it's a think tank perception 15, it's "daypack" with room for food and clothes, camera gear, and a laptop, I use it for my commute. This works well for me because the focus is on getting to the camera fast, while still having room for daily stuff, so I can reach to the camera quickly when I need it.

2) Hiking with an insert bag (tenba byob 9, fits the k3ii and 2-3 lenses). the same insert fist in my bicycle handlebar bag for overnight tours and day trips. By far I'd rather have a purpose-designed backpack with a frame and suspension system, plus all gear attachments for winter hiking, because those have to work and camera gear is just my fancy.

3) Around the city with a small shoulder bag, fits 1 zoom or 2-3 small primes and the camera. Nothing special, just compact and unobtrusive when going out or to a concert.

4) Ricoh GR camera in a small pouch, works in winter coat pockets or any other bag

Last edited by aaacb; 12-13-2019 at 06:46 AM.
12-07-2019, 09:29 PM   #28
Veteran Member

My top 3 bags that I use are in order of size:

Apecase ACPro1400 - Its big enough to hold 2 cameras with lenses, and 2 extra lenses. Its deep enough to hold a K-3 with a 50-135 mounted or a DA 300mm unmounted. Because it has a flat bottom, I can easily put it on the ground without the worry of it tipping over. Its big enough to hold a lot but not so big to be monstrous and heavy. I did modify the dividers so that everything top loads (it defaults to a weird stacking layout)/

Think Tank Retrospective 7 - Its big enough to hold a K-1 and 2 lenses. it can hold two bodies in a pinch but be they are too close for comfort if one of them is a K-1 or gripped and you have no room for lenses. Think Tanks build quality is legendary, and its filled with great features like really good velcro and non-flexing dividers.

A Tamrac Explorer Holster case - This case has been with me since my *Ist DL (sorry I can't type that old Pentax camera name without without a chuckle). It works great for one camera and lens. You can put a second lens inside if its a limited or old Takumar. This bag will survive the apocalypse. Unfortunately Tamrac was bought out, and the quality of new Tamrac bags went sharply downhill.

Every other case I use is either a storage only case or its a variant of the types I have above but never as good in some way. I have yet to find a backpack that I like. With backpacks I find they are always uncomfortable and they never distribute the weight right for anything more than a 1 or 2 mile hike. They can either have easy access, holds lots of gear, comfortable, and lightweight...but never more than two out of those choices work good and the rest are compromised or awkward.

Last edited by y0chang; 12-07-2019 at 09:56 PM.
12-07-2019, 09:38 PM   #29
Inactive Account

If I carry only one lens, I usually don't carry a bag.