Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 18 Likes Search this Thread
12-01-2019, 11:42 AM - 1 Like   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Camera bags - problems and your solutions

We may face a camera bag problem from time to time, and come up with a solution that might be worth sharing.

Of course it depends on how much gear we want to take and our tolerance to the weight etc.

My recent problem was around my city walk around kit of the K-1ii and D-FA 28-105.

I wanted a small, light weight, padded bag with a rain cover just in case. One solution is a Lowepro ProTactic SH 120AW.

I doubt it was designed for this, but if you empty out all the dividers you can fit the K-1ii and D-FA 28-105 in it. The hood has to be reversed, and there is enough space for an AF 201 FG beside the camera.

I can also just about jam it in with an angle bracket fitted.

My solution for the K-50 & DA 18-135 combination was a Crumpler Jackpack 1500 which has negligible padding and I came to regret that.

Here are some pics for comparison and your edification

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1 Mark II  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-50  Photo 
12-01-2019, 12:10 PM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I travel practically everywhere now with my Peak Design Everyday Sling 10L. It can be set up with 1,2 or 3 compartments and will fit my K-3II with the DA16-85 in the center, a pouch with some filters also in the center, and four smaller lenses, two in each side compartment. I like that it is water resistant and have taken it out in fairly wet conditions without any water getting in. I have also been able to fit my DA*60-250 in one of the side compartments in lieu of two small lenses if I need to bring a telephoto, although the weight starts adding up. As a bonus, it has straps to attach a travel tripod on the outside. Peak Design also makes the Everyday Sling in 6L and 3L sizes for smaller set-ups.
12-01-2019, 12:51 PM   #3
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by Kevin B123 Quote
Camera bags - problems and your solutions
The set up that works or me...

For actual main transit... I still use Pelican (Pelicase )1510s, which I then decant into a shoot bag, mine is currently a Billingham 445 Camera Bag to which I've recently added a pair of Billingham Delta End Pockets for a little more flexibility, I've added the links to my reviews for those interested.

Pelican Pelicase 1510 Carry On Case reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database

Billingham 445 Camera Bag reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database

Billingham Delta End Pockets reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database
12-01-2019, 01:17 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ToddK Quote
I travel practically everywhere now with my Peak Design Everyday Sling 10L
That looks like a nice solution and flexible, being able to carry larger lenses too.

QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
Billingham 445 Camera Bag
And I thought you were a Scotsman. Crikey that is a nice bag but pricey.

In my city walk around mission, I purposely denied the option of taking a whole kit to keep it small and as simple as possible.
My spouse is less kit friendly than some, so a small bag helps.

I bought this in the sales today for the sum of £33.97p, and she asked if I was going to get rid of one of the others?. Of course I said, lying.

She then emptied my credit card saying we needed household furnishings or something . I feel the 70-200 f4 is going to wait for a bit

12-01-2019, 01:38 PM   #5
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by Kevin B123 Quote
Crikey that is a nice bag but pricey
Aye, I suppose you could view it that way...

But for me it's a value add to my business... in use everyday, it's waterproof, well padded, my kits safe and secure, comfortable to wear and comes with 5 year warranty.

As the say it's Horses for courses, it wouldnae work if we were all the same.
12-01-2019, 01:40 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
But for me it's a value add to my business..

Ahh, say no more. It's the tool for the job!.
12-01-2019, 04:38 PM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I bought a Crumpler Jackpack 7000 (I think - it's the biggest one anyway) for my KP and DA Limiteds plus the 100 Macro and DA50 but couldn't quite fit everything in using the dividers that came with the bag. I had a variety of Domke inserts that are a bit thinner and with a bit of trial and error I came up with a set up that means I can fit everything in there......plus a small bottle of water on the bottom.

And the Crumpler is almost a kilo lighter than the Domke F2 it replaced!

12-01-2019, 04:45 PM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

For me, I typically carry what I want in a Lowepro Flipside 400. Then when I want to carry a smaller amount of lenses, I move what I want into Manfrotto Advanced Active. I'm going to be getting a different bag, an Advanced Tri I believe, for the holidays so I'll be using that instead of the Advanced Active. Unfortunately there just isn't a perfect bag for every occasion.
12-01-2019, 06:09 PM - 3 Likes   #9
Veteran Member

At first I wanted my entire collection with me. The more I buy bags, the less lenses I want to take with me. At this point, I do what you do which is one camera one lens, in a holster style bag....unless I really want to take a second lens...then...well crap I'm back where I started
12-01-2019, 07:24 PM - 1 Like   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by y0chang Quote
At first I wanted my entire collection with me. The more I buy bags, the less lenses I want to take with me. At this point, I do what you do which is one camera one lens, in a holster style bag....unless I really want to take a second lens...then...well crap I'm back where I started
It seems like may people go though that. I've more often found myself carrying lens that I don't use than not having one I need. So. I have two small ThinkTank Turnstyle sling bags (5 and 10) that cover most of what I need, they are easy to change the configuration. Camera, 2-4 lenses, and some of those lenses are the DA15 or an F50. But usually, the camera and one lens are hanging at my side, and sometimes just the camera with mounted lens, and another lens in a pouch on the belt.

I've often thought about those holster for carrying a camera and DA* 300. How do you like it? Your second lens can easily go in a belt pouch.
12-01-2019, 11:27 PM - 1 Like   #11

You are perhaps going to think I’m foolish but I carry just an ordinary over the shoulder bag. Nothing fancy at all. (But I make sure my gear is well protected inside.) The reason is that I’ve had 2 occasions where I’ve had to fend off would be thieves, so I don’t want it to be thought of as a camera bag.
12-02-2019, 12:11 PM - 1 Like   #12
Pentaxian

My solution is Lowepro Photo Sport series ... extremely durable and lightweight ...
12-02-2019, 12:16 PM - 1 Like   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
ThinkTank Mirrorless Mover 30i here. And a Domke slip-resistant shoulder strap. The bag fits a 35mm film body and a spare lens and a couple of rolls of film quite well beyond the camera and a lens itself. Or lately it's seen duty carrying a film camera + 50mm lens plus my K-5 II and 18-135 or Sigma 28 f1.8. I have a single divider placed in an offset fashion so that one side is wider than the other. I bought it for carrying the K-5 with a spare lens and it works quite well for that, too.
12-02-2019, 12:53 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Walkingwolf Quote
You are perhaps going to think I’m foolish but I carry just an ordinary over the shoulder bag. Nothing fancy at all. (But I make sure my gear is well protected inside.) The reason is that I’ve had 2 occasions where I’ve had to fend off would be thieves, so I don’t want it to be thought of as a camera bag.
Nothing wrong with that, it's a solution to a problem. I would assume you use a camera bag insert inside to protect your gear.

The thing I find in dedicated camera bags, particularly from Lowepro (I have three of them now) is the thoughtful little extras that are built in. A hook for keys, card storage, flask pockets etc.

For outings with the K-1ii & lenses + film body I use a Flipside 200 AWii and I can attach a tripod so quite versatile too.
12-02-2019, 01:31 PM - 1 Like   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I most often use the Lowepro Passport Sling which is a simple over-the-shoulder bag. It's not too large for daily or incidental use and comfortable to wear for long walks.

Although it is made for a body with mounted lens and perhaps one additional lens, I find that it can carry much more. The rear has a zipper that expands the capacity. Using something like a Tenba camera/lens wrap or Domke protective wrap (padded cloth with velcro), more items can be placed in the non-padded rear. The wraps come in different colors so you instantly know what's inside each one. For extra padding in the rear, I usually add an additional open wrap on the bottom/sides, then load the wrapped lens or body.

In the front compartments, I can carry more than one prime per compartment. Again, the wraps are used to cushion and protect each additional lens, stacked in the bag's thickly padded area. If I carry the camera over the shoulder (sling strap) or with the Peak shoulder strap, the bag can carry a half dozen lenses.

(I do use safety tethers, just in case anything fails on the camera attachment).

I've carried both my K-3II and K-5SII bodies in the bag, with another couple lenses besides those mounted. There's space for a water bottle in front. Small pockets for a notepad or other items. Zippered inside pocket for batteries and memory cards.

It's not too much, not too little, and flexible for small or larger loads.

The Passport Sling is now into version III. I have one of the originals and one of version II. I prefer the original. Seems like they got that one right and the other "improvements" weren't really necessary. ;-)