Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 12 Likes Search this Thread
12-05-2019, 12:55 PM - 1 Like   #31
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Liney Quote
When I saw the thread title I thought we were discussing pencils...

I would not go back to film. When I shot film I had to wait until I got it developed and then try to remember what I had set to make it turn out that way. With digital I can snap, check, adjust, snap, check, adjust as much as I want and it doesn't cost me anything.

Film seems to be dying out, but as I mentioned on another thread the young folk revived vinyl records so there is still hope

Well, sir from what I have read and witnessed, film appears to be enjoying a very strong revival. Let's face it, digital photography is not for everybody. The same holds true for film photography. It will be interesting to keep both eyes wide open and see what develops in the near future. Thanks for your contribution.

TT

12-05-2019, 03:42 PM - 1 Like   #32
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Liney Quote
When I saw the thread title I thought we were discussing pencils...

I would not go back to film. When I shot film I had to wait until I got it developed and then try to remember what I had set to make it turn out that way. With digital I can snap, check, adjust, snap, check, adjust as much as I want and it doesn't cost me anything.

Film seems to be dying out, but as I mentioned on another thread the young folk revived vinyl records so there is still hope
Ah but it was the wait for processing that gave it flavour, what would you rather eat...a big mac you can have right now or a home made burger slowly sizzled on the BBQ
12-05-2019, 07:42 PM - 1 Like   #33

I still have a K1000 and the way I look at it, considering the costs, if I am going to shoot a roll of film I will try finding a focus like a project. That is what I did when I shot a roll last time. I can still use it then and appreciate what it offers, even if my DSLR is my primary camera.
12-06-2019, 06:38 AM   #34
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Astro-Baby Quote
Ah but it was the wait for processing that gave it flavour, what would you rather eat...a big mac you can have right now or a home made burger slowly sizzled on the BBQ
The problem with this analogy is that film doesn't hold a massive quality advantage over digital!

12-06-2019, 06:57 AM   #35
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Tonytee Quote
Thanks very much for all of the awesome responses here on this thread. I think at this point I will call around to the different processors and get estimates. It may very well be that many of them

are offering some excellent competitive pricing and promotions during this time of year. I will report back with my findings. Again, very many thanks.

Cheers,

Tonytee

---------- Post added 12-03-19 at 05:20 PM ----------

Well, here is what I have found. I contacted Blue Moon Camera in Portland, Oregon. This place only deals with film and analog equipment. No digital.

For one roll of Kodacolor ASA 200, 36exp., being converted to digital on a CD, the total cost would be $22.00. That of course does not include approximately $8.00 for the film. So being a stickler

for not kidding myself when it comes to cost, I can also add to that approximately $11.00 in general depreciation with my vehicle, each trip. One trip to deliver the film, return home and another trip to retrieve the film and return home. So there is another $22.00 on top of the other $22.00. Sounds excessive, $44.00 per roll, essentially.

The initial $22.00 includes scanning, color correction and whatever else they feel is necessary. So, there we have it. Something new to scratch your head over.
I failed to mention that if I wanted prints in addition to everything else, the charge will be $16.00. So, all in all, I would be looking at approximately $60.00 for the whole Magilla.

Tony

Tony, definitely call around. Theres a shop near me, thats been here forever and they would do the developing, prints and scans for about 1/3 less than what you are looking at. They do take mail in's btw. I have used them in years past when I have dug out my film gear and if considering it again (I still get the itch and have a ton of film bodies), I always start with them.

CT / Connecticut Photo Labs: CT Prints Connecticut Digital Printing Service

hth,

al
12-06-2019, 05:43 PM   #36
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by brewmaster15 Quote
Tony, definitely call around. Theres a shop near me, thats been here forever and they would do the developing, prints and scans for about 1/3 less than what you are looking at. They do take mail in's btw. I have used them in years past when I have dug out my film gear and if considering it again (I still get the itch and have a ton of film bodies), I always start with them.

CT / Connecticut Photo Labs: CT Prints Connecticut Digital Printing Service

hth,

al
I remember this outfit as being one of the better photo labs in Connecticut back when there were still plenty of places to take your film. I'm glad to see they're still around and keeping the tradition going.
12-12-2019, 08:06 PM   #37
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dvoth Quote
I still have a K1000 and the way I look at it, considering the costs, if I am going to shoot a roll of film I will try finding a focus like a project.
That is a great idea, I still have Pentax film cameras and some long expired BW film. Nothing ventured, nothing gained if I leave it all in a closet. To me, the greatest benefit of shooting film is that one is generally limited to creating 12 to 36 images per roll of film, one probably takes more time to compose the picture, ensure the best POV, consider one's aperture and shutter settings, etc. and that is why the final images might be more satisfying.

I did come across some slides that need to be digitized, and though they have depth, clarity, rich colors, I can't say they are noticeably different from the images I create using my K-1.

Good luck in your new pursuit, I look forward to seeing the results.

12-13-2019, 06:11 AM   #38
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Bassat Quote
This is exactly why i shoot film. I have one digital camera and 8 film cameras. The only 35mm film camera i own is a Voigtlander Vito II. Collection includes 2 645N, and 5 6x6 folders. If you are going to shoot film, go with medium format. The gear is dirt-cheap these days. I paid $45 for an Agfa Isolette III; like new.
There's a certain emotional impact that comes from spreading out a batch of newly-developed slides on a light table that I have not been able to duplicate with digital photography. It's like looking at little tiles of captured moments of time.
12-13-2019, 03:28 PM   #39
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Bassat Quote
This is exactly why i shoot film. I have one digital camera and 8 film cameras. The only 35mm film camera i own is a Voigtlander Vito II. Collection includes 2 645N, and 5 6x6 folders. If you are going to shoot film, go with medium format. The gear is dirt-cheap these days. I paid $45 for an Agfa Isolette III; like new.
I got back into photography when my sister handed me down her Nikon 3100 digital camera and enjoyed it. That got me back into film. Film just seems more fun. I shoot digital when I want to try to capture a breathtaking vacation photo worthy of enlarging, but I shoot film when I just want to have fun.

^^^With regards to medium format, mentioned above....what are my options for medium format cheap? Not interested in going big time like a 645. Looking for simple, 120 with good image quality. Beyond Holga and the Lomography equivalents, what's out there in medium format at the cheap end of the spectrum?

THanks
12-13-2019, 03:32 PM   #40
PDL
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ecostigny Quote
There's a certain emotional impact that comes from spreading out a batch of newly-developed slides on a light table that I have not been able to duplicate with digital photography. It's like looking at little tiles of captured moments of time.
I will go one better than slides (which I shot a lot of). Standing in the darkroom and having a B&W print "come up out of the soup" is very satisfying and something I sorely miss. While I love the ability to work on digital images, I miss the gut level impact of watching an image develop in front of my eyes.

I have developed and printed images from slides - the experience is very different as everything must take place in total darkness. The "reveal" is when you open up the tank and pull the developed images/print out and hold them up to/into the light. Still interesting as a "first view" but not the same gut feeling as B&W development.
12-14-2019, 07:20 AM   #41
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by PDL Quote
I will go one better than slides (which I shot a lot of). Standing in the darkroom and having a B&W print "come up out of the soup" is very satisfying and something I sorely miss. While I love the ability to work on digital images, I miss the gut level impact of watching an image develop in front of my eyes.

I have developed and printed images from slides - the experience is very different as everything must take place in total darkness. The "reveal" is when you open up the tank and pull the developed images/print out and hold them up to/into the light. Still interesting as a "first view" but not the same gut feeling as B&W development.
I have done both of the above, in the previous century. Seeing the monochrome print emerge never got old.

Printing from slides, was that Cibachrome? The colour saturation when you got it right was just awesome! Sadly Cibachrome went the same way as Kodachrome.
12-14-2019, 03:10 PM   #42
PDL
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Wasp Quote
I have done both of the above, in the previous century. Seeing the monochrome print emerge never got old.

Printing from slides, was that Cibachrome? The colour saturation when you got it right was just awesome! Sadly Cibachrome went the same way as Kodachrome.
Yes, it was Cibachrome. The few images I still have are still beautiful. After you got the basic idea of how to print, it did become a pretty predictable process - expensive - but predictable.

I really miss Kodachrome too.
12-19-2019, 10:20 AM - 1 Like   #43
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by PDL Quote
Yes, it was Cibachrome. The few images I still have are still beautiful. After you got the basic idea of how to print, it did become a pretty predictable process - expensive - but predictable.

I really miss Kodachrome too.
I did almost all of my slide photography on Kodachrome for many years. The one saving grace is that those slides will last for nearly 200 years if stored properly.