Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 12 Likes Search this Thread
12-02-2019, 09:48 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
"To Be, or Not To Be."

Yes, I know, a pretty dumb title for a new thread. However, this issue has been grinding on me for some time now and I thought I would share it with you fine folks and wonderful photographers.

"I THINK I WANT TO GO BACK TO FILM PHOTOGRAPHY." PHEW!! THERE, I'VE SAID IT.

My thinking tends to gravitate back towards slide film. Fuji seems to have some really high rated products, so there is that option now that Kodachrome 25 and 64 are as

antiquated as Greek Mythology. As far as being "Cost Effective" I would have to do more research on that. I do not know how expensive it is to convert to digital images so

they can be uploaded here in PF, however the processing costs I have been advised can be prohibitive. Then again, this is a hobby I love dearly, so perhaps my attitude should

be, "Full Speed Ahead And Damn The Torpedoes." I scan the Marketplace often and notice how many Spotmatic Fs with 50mm Takumar F/2.0 outfits are offered at very

reasonable asking prices and also remember how much joy it was to shoot in that medium. Something to think about. Thanks for reading and I am looking forward to

some very interesting responses.

Cheers,

Tonytee

Last edited by Tonytee; 12-02-2019 at 09:50 PM. Reason: Spelling Correction.
12-02-2019, 10:05 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

No Kodachrome, but Kodak did revive Ektachrome.
12-02-2019, 10:15 PM   #3

Yes film has its draws!!!!
12-02-2019, 10:18 PM   #4
PDL
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I still have my Fujica SLR's and lenses, a Olympus XA and my mothers old Nikon. I also have some slide film sitting in the fridge. One of these days, I will take the film out of the fridge and go shoot it (I have two 35mm film scanners). I also have a box of Ilford H5 4x5 sheet film and a 4x5 monorail, but I do not have anywhere to develop it.

You really don't have to make this a either or situation. There is no law that states you can only shoot film or digital. I do miss Kodachrome though and IR Ektachrome.

12-02-2019, 10:24 PM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

Chemicals!
12-02-2019, 10:24 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I reckon why not dabble in both, film and digital
12-02-2019, 10:33 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I keep thinking I should shoot some medium format film....

12-02-2019, 10:49 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Tonytee Quote
perhaps my attitude shouldbe, "Full Speed Ahead And Damn The Torpedoes."
I like your thinking. And as much as I shoot digital these days (which is most of the time), periodically I do gravitate back to my forty year old ME Super and nifty fifty, and a roll of 24 exposure Ektachrome or Ilford black and white print film. It's a very different shooting experience. As much as I enjoy it, I don't know if I could go back to film completely. But it is refreshing to go back to ones roots sometimes.
12-02-2019, 10:49 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
No Kodachrome, but Kodak did revive Ektachrome.

Awesome. Greatly appreciated.

TT
12-02-2019, 10:51 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

As beachgardener says, why not do both? They’re different aspects of the same discipline. My main shooter is the K-3II, but I also have film in my K2 and Spotmatic SL.
12-02-2019, 11:15 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Current Fujichrome and Ektachrome are sharper films than Kodachrome. I like the Fuji colors, but don't have experience with the new Ektachrome.
12-02-2019, 11:20 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by microlight Quote
As beachgardener says, why not do both? They’re different aspects of the same discipline. My main shooter is the K-3II, but I also have film in my K2 and Spotmatic SL.

You are of course correct. However, time wise I am concerned about biting off more than I can chew. Also, I really find Post Photo Editing to be (for lack of a better term) distasteful and

cumbersome. At any rate, thanks for the suggestion as I will keep it in mind.

Cheers,

Tony

---------- Post added 12-02-19 at 11:25 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by PDL Quote
I still have my Fujica SLR's and lenses, a Olympus XA and my mothers old Nikon. I also have some slide film sitting in the fridge. One of these days, I will take the film out of the fridge and go shoot it (I have two 35mm film scanners). I also have a box of Ilford H5 4x5 sheet film and a 4x5 monorail, but I do not have anywhere to develop it.

You really don't have to make this a either or situation. There is no law that states you can only shoot film or digital. I do miss Kodachrome though and IR Ektachrome.

I recall I had best results when leaving the film out for 24 hours before shooting it. Shooting the film shortly after removing it from the fridge can cause some of the emulsions, or Silver Oxide to

deteriorate rapidly going from cold to hot or warm in a short period of time. Those were the days though and they were more rewarding then than they are now. Thanks a bunch.

Tony
12-02-2019, 11:41 PM - 3 Likes   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

1) are you sure it isn't just another gear folly? We chase gear when we should chase skill sometimes.

2) why not limit the startup to film that you can easily process. As for scanning it can be more frustrating than post processing digital image files.

3) why not? Cost is low to try... Higher to master perhaps.
12-03-2019, 12:13 AM   #14
PDL
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Tonytee Quote
-snip
I recall I had best results when leaving the film out for 24 hours before shooting it. Shooting the film shortly after removing it from the fridge can cause some of the emulsions, or Silver Oxide to -fix- deteriorate rapidly going from cold to hot or warm in a short period of time. Those were the days though and they were more rewarding then than they are now. Thanks a bunch.

Tony
Since I have been shooting film since the mid 1960's let me fix this for you.
Yes, it is best to let the film warm up, if frozen - 24 hours is about right - if in the fridge (where my film is) it will work straight out of the box. Back in the old days you really had to let it warm up, but that was 30 odd years ago.
It is Silver Halide not Silver Oxide. The Silver Halide crystals are dispersed in gelatin. It's the gelatin that is sensitive to cold/warm as it will crack or melt. (Yes I have had the emulsion melt off the substrate on me a few times early on - note: do not put your film in a box sitting on the back shelf of your fathers car in full sunlight in the summer) The acetate backing will snap in the cold - if you really have it cold. I remember one of my friends shooting astrophotography with a special "camera", if you could call it that, where the back of the camera had a slot filled with dry ice to keep the film frozen solid. This was used to take very long exposures to defeat reciprocity failure.

Good times.
12-03-2019, 12:36 AM - 1 Like   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by PDL Quote
Since I have been shooting film since the mid 1960's let me fix this for you.
Yes, it is best to let the film warm up, if frozen - 24 hours is about right - if in the fridge (where my film is) it will work straight out of the box. Back in the old days you really had to let it warm up, but that was 30 odd years ago.
It is Silver Halide not Silver Oxide. The Silver Halide crystals are dispersed in gelatin. It's the gelatin that is sensitive to cold/warm as it will crack or melt. (Yes I have had the emulsion melt off the substrate on me a few times early on - note: do not put your film in a box sitting on the back shelf of your fathers car in full sunlight in the summer) The acetate backing will snap in the cold - if you really have it cold. I remember one of my friends shooting astrophotography with a special "camera", if you could call it that, where the back of the camera had a slot filled with dry ice to keep the film frozen solid. This was used to take very long exposures to defeat reciprocity failure.

Good times.

Now that is really interesting. That is the thing with photography, just when you think you've heard and seen it all, something new jumps up and bites you right on the arse. Well thank you

very much for your contribution. Truly fascinating.

TT

---------- Post added 12-03-19 at 12:45 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
1) are you sure it isn't just another gear folly? We chase gear when we should chase skill sometimes.

2) why not limit the startup to film that you can easily process. As for scanning it can be more frustrating than post processing digital image files.

3) why not? Cost is low to try... Higher to master perhaps.

I'm not sure about your meaning in regards to gear folly. I just think back to when I enjoyed photography a great deal more then, than I do now. Second, I have no intention of processing

in a darkroom. I tried that twice and that is something I went miles out of my way to avoid. Let someone else do it, so they can hold on to a job.

You are correct in that I should just go ahead and move forward and purchase a good film camera with an appropriate lens and see how it goes. It could be I may very well be setting myself

up for a huge let down in some way. Only way to know for sure is to "Just Do It" as my friends at Nike would say.

Once again, thanks very much for your contribution. Very insightful.

Cheers,

Tony