Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-05-2019, 05:15 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kiwizinho Quote
What I do is take low quality photos with my phone with GPS tagging turned on, dump both the DSLR and phone photos in the same folder sorted by date/time and then in a photo manager like Lightroom or Paintshop Pro, go to the map view, for the phone photo, which takes me to the right location, then go to the DSLR photo and add a marker at the same location.Once I've tagged the high quality photo, I delete the phone photos.
I haven't tried any other software, but I know both Paintshop Pro and Lightroom can do this. Lightroom is better in some respects, as it will show other photos marked on the map, and you just drag and drop untagged photos onto the map. I know not everyone wants to pay for an ongoing subscription though.
I think Faststone Image Viewer might be able to do this too. It's free, but I haven't tried it.
That's... unnecessarily complicated.
You still need GPS on and clock sync, and to take double the pictures.
By logging a gpx track you just need one click on your PC.

12-05-2019, 08:13 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by PDL Quote
I use ExifToolGUI (Windows only and you will have to do the research to get it to work - sort of) Google Maps is broken.
As mentioned above, I also use GeoSetter and Google Maps is broken there too. I do wish that these programs would allow you to work with other map providers - GeoSetter does but it is primarily Google ---- er broken Google - such as Bing Maps. I know there is a lot of resistance to anything Microsoft, but I don't think they are charging user fees to use their mapping functions.
I find the map function is intermittent but usually works
12-05-2019, 08:54 PM   #18
PDL
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
It displays "For Development Purposes Only" because Google is now charging for access to their keys. There are interesting threads out on both the ExifTool forum and on the GeoSetter site where the authors talk a little bit about what is going on. A Minor Update after a Long Time - GeoSetter

It cost the developer 500 Euros for the first month after Google monetized their "free" service. It works, but it is broken in my book. Too bad there is not a way to switch out to Bing Maps. To my knowledge, Bing has not monetized each click for a "free" service. Google has gone pure evil.
12-06-2019, 07:27 PM   #19
Pentaxian

It displays "For Development Purposes Only" because Google is now charging for access to their keys. There are interesting threads out on both the ExifTool forum and on the GeoSetter site where the authors talk a little bit about what is going on. A Minor Update after a Long Time - GeoSetter

It cost the developer 500 Euros for the first month after Google monetized their "free" service. It works, but it is broken in my book. Too bad there is not a way to switch out to Bing Maps. To my knowledge, Bing has not monetized each click for a "free" service. Google has gone pure evil.
I think if they supported garmin compatible maps, because of the openstreet map project. There are tons of off line maps available and taking the app off line has benefits

12-06-2019, 09:57 PM - 1 Like   #20
PDL
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Well, with these tools (ExifToolGUI and GeoSetter - there may be more...) the developers landed on using Google because Google pushed the idea as the goto source. Google changed the API and monetized the "free" feature. To me it appears that Google did a big bait and switch - but that is me. Neither ExifToolGUI nor GeoSetter is in continuing development as the lone creators have a life to live. One guy working his brains out for little to no pay is not a model for self sustaining progress. I know GeoSetter's developer is thinking about updating the program but it is very expensive to develop on your own. He does have Google alternative maps you can use but you still have to go through the Google spam to select the other map. It would be nice, but I am not all that hopeful, that the developers of such applications would give their end users the option of choosing another source for maps as a selection.

For these two programs, I think the possibility of providing end users a choice has long disappeared. As far as I can tell, neither of the programs are on GitHub or any other code repository. But then I really haven't looked, it has been 20 odd years since I was writing compiled applications.
12-06-2019, 10:08 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

because Google pushed the idea as the goto source. Google changed the API and monetized the "free" feature. To me it appears that Google did a big bait and switch
Agreed. As soon as independent developers released apps that were truly useful, Google (and Apple is no different) either came out with their own free version (driving the ISV's out of business) or they monetized access to their previously free services, which also ends up driving the ISV's out of business.