Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 24 Likes Search this Thread
12-07-2019, 12:05 PM - 2 Likes   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Join the Daily In challenge here on PF. Honest, helpful feedback and no pressure.

12-07-2019, 12:38 PM   #17
Veteran Member

It's only a game folks. There is nothing unethical going on. If you want to play that is entirely up to the individual, if you want to spend that is entirely up to you. They designed this game to make money, just like any game on the internet, they just found a way to use photography as a game.

MossyRocks, you are not going to get critiqued on GURU, it doesn't work that way, it's not about being a good photographer or getting better at photography, it's about exposure and where you photo sits in the thousands of photos entered into each game category. When people vote they get credit which post their photo's in a better position for exposure. People will vote blindly, just clicking away to get credit and keep their photos in a higher position. It's just a game of clicking, that's about it. You need to watch and click, hour upon hour.

Last edited by kevinWE; 12-07-2019 at 12:46 PM.
12-07-2019, 12:43 PM - 1 Like   #18
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I wasn't really trying to knock Gurushots. It is more a lament on how hard it is to win a challenge and how it all seems a little pointless now. FWIW it was fun while it lasted.
12-07-2019, 01:15 PM   #19
Pentaxian

Uh-uh, no.

12-07-2019, 05:31 PM   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Wasp Quote
I wasn't really trying to knock Gurushots. It is more a lament on how hard it is to win a challenge and how it all seems a little pointless now. FWIW it was fun while it lasted.
Totally agree,it soon becomes very tired!
12-08-2019, 01:33 AM - 1 Like   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kevinWE Quote
People will vote blindly, just clicking away to get credit and keep their photos in a higher position. It's just a game of clicking, that's about it. You need to watch and click, hour upon hour.
It is when I found out that that was exactly what I was doing to others, not even giving them any fair judgment, that I decided to quit. If I was willing to click blindly on other people's images to get my own ranking/exposure up, I was quite sure others were doing EXACTLY the same to my images. That, in turn, means that votes mean nothing, ranking is entirely meaningless and the game is actually not even a fair game anymore. It is down to whoever has the most free time on their hands and is bored enough to just click away for hours.
12-08-2019, 03:44 AM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It is interesting how a lot of social media has turned into a push to accumulate likes. Flickr and Facebook both can be a bit that way. It sounds like this has mined that from Flickr and turned it into some sort of a game.

I can imagine it can be addictive. I always had sort of a thrill when one of my images got explored on Flickr and realized that I could increase the chances of that happening by "being active" and liking a bunch of other people's images, but I ended up feeling like it was pretty meaningless. A bunch of people I didn't know would like my image and then disappear the next day.

But maybe there is a bit of Sally Fields Oscar speech in each one of us, "you like me right now, you like me!"

12-08-2019, 05:02 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I joined as a way of looking for topics or themes for use while doing the Daily or Single in Challenges here on PF. I quickly found out it did not work the way I was hoping.

It is a game though, and like many multiplayer games on your phones or tablets it does offer stuff to buy to use to play the game. I don't do that, but that is also why I never did well in all those cell phone games. Long story short: to do well you have to spend time that I don't have and it didn't offer what I was looking for, so I stopped participating.
12-08-2019, 09:31 AM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I gave up on 500px quite some time ago, later I got online ads for GuruShots (no connection, just coincidence) and didn't bother looking at it. Thank you all for confirming my apathy, meh.
12-13-2019, 01:55 AM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have been a member of gurushots.com for over a year now and still participate on a daily basis. I have accumulated 2,097,000 guru points and have achieved Master level. I know that I do

not have a snowball's chance in hell to achieve Guru status, but for me it is fun trying. In all this time, it has not cost me one red cent to participate. However, my reward comes from the

fact that I get to view some really wonderful work by photographers from around the world and truly (for me) it is inspiring. I cannot honestly say that it is a scam or not since they obviously

receive a great deal of funding from various sponsors. For those folks who have become truly disenchanted, go back and try it again for a while. Just like the commercial for Cheerios, "Try

em' again, for the first time." Again, I do have a lot of fun with it and with the other members.

Thanks for reading,

Tonytee