Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 11 Likes Search this Thread
12-13-2019, 06:08 AM - 1 Like   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Agreed. And being "skeleton like" (though I think that's a pretty negative description), Pentax has very limited risk in the market compared to Nikon. Bet BIG, and you could lose BIG. Bet small, and you could lose small. Let's hope Nikon's BIG bet results in plentiful sales of that new Z lens lineup...
While I of course wish that Pentax's market share increases, I do not wish for any competitor to sink. It's never been good for the market, and wishing others ill is not a solid market strategy...

QuoteOriginally posted by clickclick Quote
It's got to be about a bottom line figure and market analysis. Without insight to information that's probably confidential to Nikon, we'll never know for sure, but must assume it was decided as a way to meet the need within a cost structure. How all those pieces tie together and what comes out the other end goes into the "time will tell" and "anybody's guess" categories without more information
Of course the people making the decisions are not clueless. The question is, when they make that decision, are they happy about it or is it the least of two evils? Is it to encourage growth or to stop the bleeding?

12-29-2019, 06:26 PM   #32
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
While I of course wish that Pentax's market share increases, I do not wish for any competitor to sink. It's never been good for the market, and wishing others ill is not a solid market strategy...

Of course the people making the decisions are not clueless. The question is, when they make that decision, are they happy about it or is it the least of two evils? Is it to encourage growth or to stop the bleeding?
In today's market, I fear it is the bleed. Really don't like seeing a situation like that. Agree it would be best to have all the makers thriving because of demand with good competition. Can't help but also think of the struggles I've been hearing of Olympus.
03-09-2020, 08:40 AM   #33
Unregistered User

Some years back, the auto industry in the U.S. tried the same thing. Ordinary gas stations wanted to be able to get repair manuals and parts, but the manufacturers refused, allowing only their own dealers to obtain such things. The manufacturers got hit big-time by the Antitrust division of the Department of Justice for their anticompetitive conspiracy in restraint of trade. Really big fines and costs. It's not just a dumb idea, because if Nikon's seriously on the edge of bankruptcy, I reckon such a case will put them out of business.

By the way, the repair shops that they use as their "in house" facilities are in danger, as well, since all co-conspirators are equally liable.