Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 11 Likes Search this Thread
12-10-2019, 12:35 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Nikon reducing from 17 to 2 repair centers in USA

Nikon will reportedly no longer provide parts and repair information to 15 independent authorized repair centers. Repairs will need to be sent to 2 Nikon-owned shops.

Precision Camera looks like one of the repair centers that will no longer be able to get Nikon parts: Nikon Authorized Repair Stations

Exact details are fuzzy because Nikon did not make a public announcement. The shops being cut out of parts received a letter. "In a letter obtained by iFixit, Nikon USA told its roughly 15 remaining Authorized Repair Station members in early November that it would not renew their agreements after March 31, 2020."

Nikon Is Killing Its Authorized Repair Program - iFixit

12-10-2019, 12:40 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
that is a big reduction...
12-10-2019, 12:40 PM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

Now the Nikonians will know exactly how we feel whenever we need a repair. Hahaha!
12-10-2019, 12:54 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think there are two possibilities. One Is that one or more of the authorized service centers was selling parts contrary to the contract or some of the service centers were not doing good work and it is easier to cut them all then have to prove who it is.

12-10-2019, 01:13 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Wow, that is a big change. Wonder if they are going to open more Nikon-owned centers. Or perhaps replace all repairs with refurbs and keep stock on hand?
12-10-2019, 01:19 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by The Squirrel Mafia Quote
Now the Nikonians will know exactly how we feel whenever we need a repair. Hahaha!
Except for the NPS members, they will still be able to get the great service turnarounds and other benefits not offered by Ricoh.
12-10-2019, 01:20 PM   #7
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxus Quote
I think there are two possibilities. One Is that one or more of the authorized service centers was selling parts contrary to the contract or some of the service centers were not doing good work and it is easier to cut them all then have to prove who it is.
Another possibility is that they were having to manufacture too many spare parts to meet those authorised service centres stock requirements. With just two official Nikon service centres, they'll massively reduce the stock requirements, simplify the logistics and reduce associated costs for supply of additional "on demand" stocks...

12-10-2019, 01:39 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Another possibility is that they were having to manufacture too many spare parts to meet those authorised service centres stock requirements. With just two official Nikon service centres, they'll massively reduce the stock requirements, simplify the logistics and reduce associated costs for supply of additional "on demand" stocks...
Who owns the stock? The service centre or the distributor?

Either way, they’ve also made life more difficult for many of their customers who need repairs.
12-10-2019, 01:44 PM   #9
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
Who owns the stock? The service centre or the distributor?
Given that many of the repairs will be under warranty, it seems unlikely to me that the service centres would own the spares. But I'm just spit-balling. I really don't know...

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
Either way, they’ve also made life more difficult for many of their customers who need repairs.
You would think so. Unless they believe they can make the whole process more streamlined and efficient by controlling and operating it end to end within the company, and without third party involvement. I guess we'll find out soon enough...
12-10-2019, 01:55 PM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Given that many of the repairs will be under warranty, it seems unlikely to me that the service centres would own the spares. But I'm just spit-balling. I really don't know...

You would think so. Unless they believe they can make the whole process more streamlined and efficient by controlling and operating it end to end within the company, and without third party involvement. I guess we'll find out soon enough...
Probably a result of "coporate cost cutting" in the face of the "stagnation" of MILC and DSLR sales that is undoubtedly happening - and likely to get "worse"
12-10-2019, 02:25 PM   #11
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My experience with the "official" Nikon repair facilities a few years back was not one that would inspire confidence. I will spare the details except to mention that it took six months to resolve their not returning the item with all the "stuff" it was sent with. Translation...this is not good news for Nikon owners.

Steve

(...there was more, much more...three attempts with no repair?)
12-10-2019, 02:30 PM - 1 Like   #12
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jeallen01 Quote
Probably a result of "coporate cost cutting" in the face of the "stagnation" of MILC and DSLR sales that is undoubtedly happening - and likely to get "worse"
Translation...sales are poor enough that the official repair stations are not seeing enough warranty service volume to justify keeping them open. That being the case, cut out the competition.

Steve
12-10-2019, 03:36 PM - 5 Likes   #13
Pentaxian

Original Poster
There are many possibilities why Nikon did it. Profit is usually part of a corporate decision. This will increase the volume of repairs done at the 2 Nikon-owned centers, and they can increase prices after weakening/killing the competition. Better customer service is probably not the driver of this decision even if Nikon claims it is.

Roger Cicala (of lenrentals.com) commented on another site. He runs a lens rental company and is therefore one of the most frequent users of repair services: "As someone who handles hundreds of Nikon repairs a year this is awful news. We already don't send anything to Nikon factory service because it's not good. We use a couple of authorized repair shops we know do better work."
12-10-2019, 03:48 PM - 2 Likes   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
.sales are poor enough that the official repair stations are not seeing enough warranty service volume to justify keeping them open. That being the case, cut out the competition.
There is a different thread about how cameras are disposable (I doubt that Nikon cameras are less disposable than Pentax ones), but I think it is fair to say that the retail repair market is pretty well finished. If the retail repair market wasn't in the toilet, Nikon could reimburse independent shops for warranty repairs at close to the same level as their own shops (because independent shops would look at it as a way to gain a future paying customer), but if independent shops expect to make some profit on warranty repairs, it only makes sense that Nikon would cut them out of the picture.

By keeping warranty repairs in-house, you have greater control over warranty costs, not just on the markup for parts and labour, but also because there is no incentive for in-house repair shops to fix things that aren't broken or replace parts that could be repaired for less money. You also have greater control over customer service levels because there is less pressure to refuse warranty service or do warranty repairs in the quickest amount of time, neglecting to fix the real problem and just get the repaired product out the door. The local proximity advantage for independent shops disappears when the broken item sits on a shelf longer than it does to ship it halfway across the continent. Only if there isn't enough warranty repair business to justify a skeleton staff to repair only one brand is there an advantage for the camera manufacturer to let independent shops handle all warranty repairs and since Nikon already had two in-house repair shops in the U.S., that obviously wasn't the case for Nikon.
12-10-2019, 05:48 PM   #15
Inactive Account

I think it is more of bad news for Nikon’s pro shooters, who often can’t wait for long repairs waiting time. I know numbers of pro shooters who love their new Sony Mirrorless FF body but they can’t consider it as tools for their pro-works. They still keep using Canon for pro-works because of the pro service Canon offers.