Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-12-2019, 07:19 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Spotmatic

The Online Photographer has a good write about the Spottie. Scroll down past the Console TV. Good read.

The Online Photographer: Open Mike: Midcentury Modern Throwback

12-12-2019, 07:24 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Spotmatics are great. The TV set looks awesome too
12-12-2019, 07:52 AM - 1 Like   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My favorite line:
QuoteQuote:
but they usually still look pretty good unless they've really been abused*
And even if they have been through the ringer they keep going but they wear the damage well:
Name:  CamerBW.jpg
Views: 294
Size:  266.4 KB
12-12-2019, 08:30 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MossyRocks Quote
My favorite line:

And even if they have been through the ringer they keep going but they wear the damage well:
Attachment 479116
Nice !

12-12-2019, 08:34 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I have two, one black one silver. The black one has beautiful brassing and the silver one looks brand new. They have a certain elegance about them. As much as I like my K1000, I love the curves of the Spotmatic. Very classy.
12-12-2019, 08:54 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
This is my Spottie

Spotmatic photo - Dana Finchum photos at pbase.com
12-12-2019, 09:12 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by thazooo Quote
This is my Spottie

Spotmatic photo - Dana Finchum photos at pbase.com
Nice. A few years back I found another F in similar condition or maybe even better condition to yours with the SCM 55/1.8 for $70 that I got because I figured that mine was on borrowed time which I'm starting to doubt. When I checked it out it looked like it had never been used, even the plastic in the film canister holder area was unscratched. Apart from runnign a roll of film through the newer one to see that everything worked I haven't used it preferring my heavily used and loved one with all its scars. I have had both serviced in the last 3 years with the standard CLA and seal replacement so that things continue to work but now 20+ years of my use and abuse on my original one and it is still going strong.

12-12-2019, 10:10 AM   #8
Pentaxian

The Online Photographer has a good write about the Spottie. Scroll down past the Console TV. Good read.

The Online Photographer: Open Mike: Midcentury Modern Throwback
Simplicity, ergonomics, reliability, dead TTL meter*... what more could you ask for? (I own 3 sp's, though only 1 is in active use)

*for me, in a way, this is a plus
12-12-2019, 12:46 PM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I was intrigued that Mike considered the Spotmatic SL to be a "loss leader" when it was released in about 1968. It might be good to consider that the SV left the market about the same time with the SL filling its slot. It would require some research, but I suspect that the price points for both the SV and SL were not that far off that of the SP. While TTL metering has its advantages, my memory is that many serious photographers preferred to continue use of their hand-held meters such that a camera such as the SL would not be without its fans. Note too that it was 23 grams lighter than the SP.

Steve

(...also thought it strange that he thinks the MX replaced the Spotmatic...KM perhaps?)
12-12-2019, 12:53 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A few inaccuracies, but still a nice article.
12-12-2019, 04:45 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I was intrigued that Mike considered the Spotmatic SL to be a "loss leader" when it was released in about 1968. It might be good to consider that the SV left the market about the same time with the SL filling its slot. It would require some research, but I suspect that the price points for both the SV and SL were not that far off that of the SP. While TTL metering has its advantages, my memory is that many serious photographers preferred to continue use of their hand-held meters such that a camera such as the SL would not be without its fans. Note too that it was 23 grams lighter than the SP.

Steve

(...also thought it strange that he thinks the MX replaced the Spotmatic...KM perhaps?)
Most times when you Wax Nostalgic favorite models supersede the correct line up I enjoy his writing, he's one of the few that give Pentax some respect.
12-12-2019, 07:44 PM   #12
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I enjoy his writing, he's one of the few that give Pentax some respect.
Agreed! He does indeed.

Steve
12-13-2019, 10:54 PM   #13
Pentaxian

I'm looking forward to seeing the comments that followed Mike's post from his international readership.

In my case, i started with a series 1 spotmatic given to me by my dad in 1996 with three lenses including the 8 element Super Takumar 1.4. He had been using it since the late 60s and I remember being told not to touch it when a kid. He carried his kit around in an army surplus shoulder bag. The 135 3.5 and the 35mm 2.8 Series 1 with 67mm filter were kept in their hard cases so everything was well worn from being jostled.

That gift kept me firmly in the Pentax camp for the next 25 years. My daily film camera though is now an MX. (Pictures have been uploaded elsewhere so...)