Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 9 Likes Search this Thread
12-19-2019, 04:30 PM - 1 Like   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
None Photography Art or Artists That Inspire Your Photography.

I am wondering what non-photography artwork and or artist influence your photography and shooting style. Please share if you have one.

Most artwork's impact and influence my photo and shooting style are non-photography works. Now I am looking for a new inspiration that's why I am asking the question.

It can be anything, painting, music, graphic, interior design, architechture, sculpture etc.

---------- Post added 12-19-19 at 04:36 PM ----------

Maybe I should mention who infullenced me so far.
There are quite a few, but the 2 artists permanencly infullence me are

H. R. Giger - Wikipedia

Hasui Kawase - Wikipedia

Last edited by tokyoscape; 12-19-2019 at 04:38 PM.
12-19-2019, 04:45 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Many years ago, I bought a book, by and about the famous 20th century pro photographer Alfred Eisenstadt.

He was born in Germany in the late 1800's and I believe from the 1920's on was a photographer for Life magazine, which at one time and for many years, was huge in circulation. He covered everything and everywhere...Europe, Africa, North America, etc. and I always enjoyed his photography, his work and his photographic eye.

In his book, he said as a boy he used to love going to art museums in Europe (mainly Germany at the time, where he lived) and study the use of light, by painters such as the Grand Masters.

I've followed his advice and looked at who I consider the greats...both in painting and photography. Might as well learn from the best, is my theory.
He indicated that it was quite an education and he was able to learn a lot, by observing their work.

I know I've incorporated photography in my discussion. I apologize for my transgression.
12-19-2019, 09:00 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
... study the use of light, by painters such as the Grand Masters...
Yes! I think it is spot on, and it was what I read somewhere too. I often try to memorize composition and sometimes lighting from the painting I like then adapt it to photos I take when and if I can.

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
I know I've incorporated photography in my discussion. I apologize for my transgression.
No problem at all, I will check out his works, thank you for introducing his work to me.
12-19-2019, 09:23 PM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Monet, and some of the Impressionists. Great for abstract and combining light and color. Here is an example

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-7  Photo 
12-20-2019, 03:06 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Definitely John Constable, although actually more for his rough oil and watercolour preliminary sketches than for his big finished paintings. His colour palette is always exactly what I think of as the true look of the English landscape.

In my own photography I'm interested in getting a "painterly" look with a sense of mood, and I'm not into ultra-sharp, ultra-saturated, ultra-high-resolution sterility.

John Constable - The Complete Works - john-constable.org
12-20-2019, 05:56 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Never had anyone really influence my photography. Just wanted to take pictures ever since I was a kid. I can't say that I have any particular style although I do try different things from time to time. If I had any artistic talent at all, I would rather paint. Van Gogh is a favorite and I like impressionistic painting too. Not that big of fan of what is being passed off as art today. Taping a banana to a wall may make some sort of statement, but it is not art and the statement may say more about the artist and the person who actually purchases it than anything else. To me art is not about making statements. That is propaganda. Art is about beauty and being able to express it in some way.

Towards the end of his life I found out that when my father joined the US Navy in early 1941 he wanted to be a Navy photographer. Well two new battleships were being launched that needed crews so they taught him to shoot 16" guns instead. When his grandchildren started coming along he got himself a Kodak Disc camera. He loved that thing. It fit easily in his shirt pocket and he always had it with him. Turns out he had a pretty good eye for the craft.
12-20-2019, 07:45 AM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

What an interesting thread, thank you sir for opening this discussion!

Personally I can list:

1. Rembrandt. Growing up it was the first book I picked - because it was full of pictures. I recall as a child spending countless hours looking at these strange peoples portraits from another age and place and I was in awe.

2. Hayao Miyazaki. I know, not many people would agree to include him and Studio Ghibli in this discussion, but he really influenced my storytelling process and the comprehension of 3d to 2d conversion(if that makes any sense to any of you...)

12-20-2019, 10:18 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This is a good thread, thank you for starting it. I haven't soaked in enough non-photographic art to claim any influence. If I had to share a category, I'd say I like the Dutch Masters, and also appreciate Norman Rockwell's keen way of putting ordinary life on display in such an evocative way. I guess the Dutch Masters did that too (and were trailblazers in that regard IIRC).
12-20-2019, 11:27 AM - 1 Like   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have been inspired by and learned quite a bit from studying the way movies and television shows are shot. I look for ways the directors use the general rules of photography, the way they break them, the compositions of scenes and lighting they use to portray a certain mode, use of color and contrast etc. and try to understand why they did it that way. I don't shoot video. but the same processes and techniques also applies to still photography.
12-20-2019, 11:59 AM - 1 Like   #10
Pentaxian

I find inspiration in the work of Fan Ho. He was famous for his work on the streets of Hong Kong.

Fan Ho - Wikipedia

Here is one of his:

And a couple of of mine:

Getting there, I hope...
12-20-2019, 12:48 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Francis Bacon (painter), Anthony Caro (sculptor), cinematography in general, in particular "Paris, Texas" was enormously influential on my photography, but in general I watch a huge amount of movies and tv series, both at the cinema and on an old CRT motel tv so I'm kind of tuned in to a 'lofi' look. And all sorts of visual art.

I listed Francis Bacon first, because he is still very influential in his approaches to composition and realism (texture, color etc.) which were, by his own admission, based on the study of photographs. Not photographers -- photographs.

Anthony Caro for his spatial ideas.
12-26-2019, 06:45 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BigDave Quote
Monet, and some of the Impressionists. Great for abstract and combining light and color.
Monet is my favorite, only rarely can I create an image that reminds me of his style
QuoteOriginally posted by Dartmoor Dave Quote
John Constable
+1
QuoteOriginally posted by shyrsio Quote
Hayao Miyazaki. I know, not many people would agree to include him and Studio Ghibli in this discussion, but he really influenced my storytelling process
Interesting, I'd like to see some examples.
QuoteOriginally posted by Sir Nameless Quote
Norman Rockwell's keen way of putting ordinary life on display in such an evocative way
I often use the phrase "making the ordinary seem extraordinary" to describe a goal of my own photos
QuoteOriginally posted by DWS1 Quote
the way movies and television shows are shot
Oh yes. Two recent black and white films "Ida" and "Cold War" and one color film "The Innocents" made me desire to try to recreate their style into my own stills, especially in composition, and the use of artificial and natural light.

To those above, I'll add the painter Edward Hopper, another master of composition, color, composition, and human interest. His pictures of Cape Cod influenced my own photographic interests when I lived there, and many of his works influenced "street" photography as well.
12-26-2019, 10:42 AM - 1 Like   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Dartmoor Dave Quote
I'm interested in getting a "painterly" look with a sense of mood
I'd agree, these look really nice, and it would be great to find a way to reproduce the look. Besides the light in the actual scene, do you have any pointers?

I have one image in my flickr feed (can't get the link while at work, I'll try to remember to link later, but it's one of the more recent and easy to find) called "Homeward" that attempts to look like a painting. It's a combination of (1) a gradient map in Affinity (blue/orange) plus (2) some preset from Nik Color Efex that I can't recall (I really wish I kept notes), (3) some local edits to make the light more interesting (because it was a flat and cloudy day, and (4) a watercolor paper texture.

I'm not totally happy with it, but I'm not sure what else it needs. Or how to consistently get the look of an old landscape painting.

---------- Post added 12-26-19 at 10:44 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by robgski Quote
To those above, I'll add the painter Edward Hopper, another master of composition, color, composition, and human interest.
Good one. I recognized "Nighthawks" immediately, but I also like the look of many of his others.
12-27-2019, 09:40 AM   #14
Pentaxian

Early on, Savador Dali was always a huge influence on me, especially his later work. Going to the Salvador Dali museum back when I lived in Tampa was always a big treat, being able to see those huge paintings, a computer screen can't really do any justice to what they look like.

Lately I've been influenced, I think, by the quieter side of Bouguereau - not so much the angels and cupids stuff, or the nekkid stuff, thought there's even an innocence to those - but mostly the portraits of barefoot girls, the simpler life, the innocence. (and not important really, but all his paintings have that "short telephoto look" that I also prefer in my photography... lol).

A little coaxing

Girl with a pomegranate

In penitence
12-27-2019, 10:06 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
Salvador Dali
...Bouguereau
I agree about the Dali Museum, and its comprehensive works show that Dali was fully capable and competent at producing art in the style of his schooling and contemporaries, but he'd likely be unknown if he hadn't ventured into surrealism. I also enjoyed the museum's providing so much background and analysis of the symbology found in Dali's work. I will definitely revisit that museum.

As for Bouguereau, I was unfamiliar with his work, but he certainly had a near photorealistic ability in his painting, and his choice of subjects and composition are pleasing as well. Thanks for the tip.

Last edited by robgski; 12-27-2019 at 10:12 AM.