Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-23-2019, 08:34 AM - 1 Like   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Nothing on the Internet is free. It is paid for somewhere, somehow by somebody. Flickr and Smugmug are both invaluable tools which not only won't but can't operate without income. If we use them we should be prepared to pay for that use. For better or worse we no longer live in the small scale, face to face societies of early America. We can indeed try to go back to the land as many did in the '60s and '70s and unplug from the modern industrial world. But that is the only alternative.

12-23-2019, 11:57 AM - 1 Like   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mikesul Quote
Nothing on the Internet is free. It is paid for somewhere, somehow by somebody. Flickr and Smugmug are both invaluable tools which not only won't but can't operate without income. If we use them we should be prepared to pay for that use. For better or worse we no longer live in the small scale, face to face societies of early America. We can indeed try to go back to the land as many did in the '60s and '70s and unplug from the modern industrial world. But that is the only alternative.
Wow. Pay the millionaire or grow your own vegetables. You honestly don't see the middle ground?

The solution is simple, really. Make some positive changes to the platform that convince more people to that it's worth whatever price you want to charge or lower your prices to a level more people are willing to pay. Writing ransom notes is not capitalism, more like extortion. I don't know what saddens me more.. this behavior or the justification thereof, which appears to be the majority opinion among those who can't even afford the asking price.
12-23-2019, 12:01 PM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

You are way off the charts here. The rest of us are not quite as naive as you seem to think. The middle ground is all there is but we do not get there by internet forum rants.
12-23-2019, 12:11 PM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
One has to start by being a little bit outraged by the hat-in-hand begging that was on display by the silicon valley millionaire. Just a wee bit of caring where your money goes as well as what your money buys for you.

12-23-2019, 01:29 PM   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I give this thread another 12-24 hours
12-23-2019, 02:40 PM   #21
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jcdoss Quote
It's not as though Flickr is their only source of income.. don't be disingenuous. He is makig a ton on Smugmug many different ways, so it is remarkably unlikely that the family will miss a meal. Since the books aren't open, we don't know what "at a loss" means. So, it very well could be a sustainable view if the owner/CEO/family aren't taking salaries aid if losses were low. I would be spectacularly surprised to find out that's the case, wouldn't you? Why are you defending the millionaire class, anyway?
Folks, let's not discuss and debate the so-called "millionaire class", please. That's straying into political leanings and beliefs - and, as we all know, political discussion isn't permitted in these forums (for very good reason).

Thanks to all in advance for keeping this thread in line with forum rules, and on topic
12-25-2019, 07:01 PM   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by WillWeaverRVA Quote
The email they sent to non-Pro users is even more pessimistic. If I were trying to decide whether to use Flickr as a permanent image host, this email would really lead me to think twice about it.

I reveived this just a few days ago:

"Dear friends,
Flickr—the world’s most-beloved, money-losing business—needs your help.

Two years ago, Flickr was losing tens of millions of dollars a year. Our company, SmugMug, stepped in to rescue it from being shut down and to save tens of billions of your precious photos from being erased... "
12-26-2019, 06:40 AM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Helios 1984 Quote
I reveived this just a few days ago:

"Dear friends,
Flickr—the world’s most-beloved, money-losing business—needs your help.

Two years ago, Flickr was losing tens of millions of dollars a year. Our company, SmugMug, stepped in to rescue it from being shut down and to save tens of billions of your precious photos from being erased... "
Yeah, that's the one. That email seemed to emphasize the whole "Flickr is losing money" thing more than the Pro email did.