Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-22-2019, 05:40 AM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Provided the funds and appreciation of its unique rendering, that's what I'd call a no-brainer: Sell the Samyang, nice as it may be, and get the 77-mil Limited.

12-22-2019, 05:59 AM - 1 Like   #17

The best Christmas presents are the ones you get for yourself.
12-22-2019, 09:04 AM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You can do what I just did if it’s not too late: take advantage of lensrentals.com free seven days with a nine-day rental if you take delivery by 24 December and return after 1January. I rented the 77mm and the *300mm for $150 (including insurance and delivery).
12-22-2019, 09:32 AM   #19

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by EssJayEff Quote
You can do what I just did if it’s not too late: take advantage of lensrentals.com free seven days with a nine-day rental if you take delivery by 24 December and return after 1January. I rented the 77mm and the *300mm for $150 (including insurance and delivery).
Thank you for advice! I don't think I can do it here in Romania...

12-22-2019, 11:56 AM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sorry I should have looked at your location first. The rental or borrow idea still works if you have that option to try before you buy.
12-22-2019, 01:05 PM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I now have both, but I'm reluctant to can give you a definite "sell the Samyang and buy a 77" advice as after getting the 77, I kept the Samyang too.

Both have merits IMO, but if I was forced to lose one then it would be the Samyang that went.
The 77 has AF, is a really nice size, has much better build, lovely colours, is sharp and has lovely OOF rendering (for most subjects).
The Samyang is somewhat inferior in most of the parameters above, although it doesn't purple fringe like the 77 (although there is bokeh fringing sometimes that can be annoying) and has a more clinically smooth bokeh rendering - which can suit some subjects better.
12-22-2019, 01:18 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Waiting for the D-FA 85 1.4 is the best option IMO: first, avoid spending money into a 77ltd lens that's obsolete, and force Ricoh to release that damn 85mm prime. We should block all purchases of old lens and send a letter to ricoh saying that all Pentax costomers stop buying anything from Ricoh until they release the 85mm 1.4 and 20mm 1.8 . We have to hold Ricoh accountable.

Hm. Somehow you make it sound like a crime to be a niche player with limited resources and a less than breakneck-speed product cycle. I, for one, am grateful that Ricoh offers both the truly awesome DFA100 Macro WR and the FA77 Ldt. in their line-up, as well as the highly-capable pancake DA70 Ltd., and I see no need whatsoever to rush them to put out that DFA*85 Ltd. lens you seem to be so desperately craving until they think they can make it anything less than virtually perfect. As far as I can tell, the DFA*50 has been well worth the wait, given that they did make it virtually perfect. Maybe you should try doing some more photography with what you have instead of clamouring for "hold(ing) Ricoh accountable". Seriously, are you going to impeach them or what?

Last edited by Madaboutpix; 12-22-2019 at 01:51 PM. Reason: Example added
12-22-2019, 01:19 PM   #23

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kiwi_jono Quote
I now have both, but I'm reluctant to can give you a definite "sell the Samyang and buy a 77" advice as after getting the 77, I kept the Samyang too.

Both have merits IMO, but if I was forced to lose one then it would be the Samyang that went.
The 77 has AF, is a really nice size, has much better build, lovely colours, is sharp and has lovely OOF rendering (for most subjects).
The Samyang is somewhat inferior in most of the parameters above, although it doesn't purple fringe like the 77 (although there is bokeh fringing sometimes that can be annoying) and has a more clinically smooth bokeh rendering - which can suit some subjects better.
Well, in my opinion Samyang has one of the smoothest bokeh I have ever seen and I have used a lot of lenses! The rendering, that's another story, it looks a little flat sometimes especially in comparison with 77... And that manual focusing it's very hard on a 85mm lens. With my Helios 44 or my Pentax a 50mm f1.7 I have no trouble focusing...
12-22-2019, 01:51 PM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by zburatoru Quote
Well, in my opinion Samyang has one of the smoothest bokeh I have ever seen and I have used a lot of lenses! The rendering, that's another story, it looks a little flat sometimes especially in comparison with 77... And that manual focusing it's very hard on a 85mm lens. With my Helios 44 or my Pentax a 50mm f1.7 I have no trouble focusing...
Thats pretty much what I was trying to say I think. But just because its a very smooth bokeh doesn't necessarily make it the best - IMO it depends on the scene and obviously what bokeh is best is VERY subjective too!
12-22-2019, 01:57 PM   #25

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kiwi_jono Quote
Thats pretty much what I was trying to say I think. But just because its a very smooth bokeh doesn't necessarily make it the best - IMO it depends on the scene and obviously what bokeh is best is VERY subjective too!
Agreed! In most situations I prefer more defined bokeh edges: Pentax fa 50mm f1.7, Pentax da 55 sdm or even Helios 44... My preferred it's fa 50mm f1.7...
12-22-2019, 02:16 PM   #26
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I have the same problem with my Rokinon 85/1.4. A nifty fifty is easier, with a 50/1.7 just a little easier than a 50/1.4. It's all down to the shallow DOF I guess. Even autofocus is no guarantee. I have read that old school 50/1.4 and 85/1.4 AF lenses do not focus very fast and sometimes struggle when left on their own. The newest generation lenses and bodies have improved in this regard AFAIK.
12-23-2019, 08:55 AM - 1 Like   #27
Pentaxian

...The main reason will be that Samyang it's very hard to focus, especially at big apertures and my eyes are not getting younger...
That's enough reason to get the 77. If you want autofocus, the Samyang 85 doesn't meet your needs. You don't need our approval
12-23-2019, 09:01 AM   #28
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Wait for the D-FA* 85 1.4 . I've got the Samyang 85 , no so good IMO, not only is manual focus, but even when perfectly focused it isn't that good optically. Waiting for the D-FA 85 1.4 is the best option IMO: first, avoid spending money into a 77ltd lens that's obsolete, and force Ricoh to release that damn 85mm prime. We should block all purchases of old lens and send a letter to ricoh saying that all Pentax costomers stop buying anything from Ricoh until they release the 85mm 1.4 and 20mm 1.8 . We have to hold Ricoh accountable.
There are other brands if Pentax/Ricoh cannot meet your photography needs. A boycott won't gain traction, but even if it did it would likely kill Pentax before a 20/1.8 gets released.
12-23-2019, 09:23 AM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Other systems offer 20mm f1.x lenses with AF. Organizing a boycott of Pentax products seems like a good way to scare away new users and convince Ricoh that maybe this isn't really worth their time.