Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-06-2020, 03:54 PM   #31
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MossyRocks Quote
Sounds like a new variant of death by GPS just waiting to happen.
That's why in Australia we are lucky, it's one big empty space once you move away from the city. We recently spent 3 days 4wding in some national parks only 2 and half hours away from home and for the whole time we only saw 1 other person

01-07-2020, 07:05 AM - 1 Like   #32
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Grippy Quote
That's why in Australia we are lucky, it's one big empty space once you move away from the city. We recently spent 3 days 4wding in some national parks only 2 and half hours away from home and for the whole time we only saw 1 other person
Nice. I would love that.
01-09-2020, 08:52 AM - 1 Like   #33
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
To answer you click-baity thread title no it isn't. Cellphones can barely do ultrawide astro shots that were possible with things like my old K2000. They've comea long way but what they are doing are things that have been done in astrophotography for years. I'll believe that cellphones offer something to the world of astrophotography when they can take a single shot with results comprable to this single shot:

This also happened to be when this lens was at it worst and was a throwaway test shot wide open while it was still coming down to temp. I did a very quick develop with no noise reduction and only some contrast enhancement and getting a better white balance. This isn't a stacked image or one that has had any real processing done to it.
For a throwaway image, how did you take this? This is better than anything i've taken lol.
01-09-2020, 04:09 PM - 1 Like   #34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I used my K-3 on an ultra heavy duty tripod I made from 2x4s and scrap 3/4 plywood with a manfrotto 3047 head on it.
The lens I used was the legend SMC A* 400 f/2.8 ED [IF]
I have gotten good at calibrating the O-GPS1 on that camera and got lucky and got a near perfect calibration on the first try.
It was cold (-9F) and windless which goes a long way for preventing bloated distored stars and blurring from the atmosphere.
The focusing was done using a bahtinov mask to get a perfect infinity focus.

Apart from that all it takes is practice, lots of practice. Here is what the final stack and processing gave me, although I may have upped the saturation in the reds and magentas a bit too much. That is a stack of 123, the best 60% from the session, 20 second shots.

01-09-2020, 04:53 PM   #35
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I used my K-3 on an ultra heavy duty tripod I made from 2x4s and scrap 3/4 plywood with a manfrotto 3047 head on it.
I have gotten good at calibrating the O-GPS1 on that camera and got lucky and got a near perfect calibration on the first try.
It was cold (-9F) and windless which goes a long way for preventing bloated distored stars and blurring from the atmosphere.

Apart from that all it takes is practice, lots of practice. Here is what the final stack and processing gave me, although I may have upped the saturation in the reds and magentas a bit too much. That is a stack of 123, the best 60% from the session, 20 second shots.
Wonderful work sir. Obvious you put your heart into this one.
01-10-2020, 09:34 AM   #36
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Agreed! There's some beautiful work in your album.

01-10-2020, 11:37 AM - 3 Likes   #37
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by SpottyReputation Quote
Agreed! There's some beautiful work in your album.
Taking the shot (actually many shots) well is only half the battle, the other half is in processing them and for that I still need to get better. I've come a long way from where I started and for me at least I really have to understand what is happening before I can effectively use an editing technique and not make a big mess of things. I've made lots of messes of images over the last 2 years but it is digital so I can always go back to the start and restack if needed. This was the first deep sky object that I shot after finally starting to understand using the high pass filter and frequency separation. At some point this winter I want to go wider and shoot the entire orion complex but clouds and the stupid moon have prevented me.

If you want to see how far I've come one can go over into the astro group and look back at some old threads I started when I was just starting out and see some real disasters. I had barely any idea of what to do and did a lot wrong, I really should have asked questions sooner in a lot of cases.

There is a lot to the saying "The more I practice the luckier I get". I always encourage people who want to try astro to just go out and do it. I suggest starting with something easy like the moon, milky way landscape, or some other large easy to find object in the sky (M42 the great Orion Nebula, or M45 the Plieades) are all good starter targets. They are bright, easy to find, and will frame up rather nicely with what you likely have already, even if it is just a longer kit zoom. My next suggestion is to take a stab at editing it and ask for feedback and suggestions over in the astro group. We don't bite and will likely fall over each other to help out, even asking if you can put the stack or RAWs in drop box so we can take a stab at editing and figure out what went wrong or where you could improve.

01-10-2020, 11:54 AM   #38
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
@MossyRocks
"The more I practice the luckier I get"...
Love that quote.