Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-03-2020, 10:09 AM - 2 Likes   #16
Journeyman Cat Wrangler
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
I think it's what in music we used to call "2nd album decline" - a band puts all their effort of years into their first album, then sort of coasts into the 2nd album and doesn't put as much effort - first because they didn't spend as much time on it, second because they don't challenge themselves as they did in the beginning.
I think a better example would be that the record company forces them to try to follow up quickly to collect $$$$! Look at Peter Frampton who's "Frampton Comes Alive" (8x Platinum sales!) Album crushed it as he had years of work with Humble Pie to fall back on. Does anyone remember his Follow Up, to the Comes Alive "I'm In You?" 1x Platinum based on folks wanting more of the same.

That Dunning-Kruger Effect chart hits home when I look back and try to find images from my early efforts to PP and perhaps post of Flickr. But at least I recognize the need to work and improve as well as try different things. I try not to suck but some days it just happens!

01-03-2020, 08:16 PM - 2 Likes   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by SSGGeezer Quote
I try not to suck but some days it just happens!
Hey, all football players fall down and all baseball players strike out. The really good ones keep getting back up and keep coming to the plate to hit again. We're not perfect, but if we try to be, we at least get closer!
01-03-2020, 10:02 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I believe we learn best from making mistakes.
01-17-2020, 03:42 PM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Worthwhile talk, thanks for posting.

01-18-2020, 02:05 AM   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BigDave Quote
Hey, all football players fall down and all baseball players strike out. The really good ones keep getting back up and keep coming to the plate to hit again. We're not perfect, but if we try to be, we at least get closer!

Reminds me of one of my all time favourite quotes, from Raymond Chandler:

"That's the difference between a champ and a knife thrower. The champ may have lost his stuff temporarily or permanently, he can't be sure. But when he can no longer throw the high hard one, he throws his heart instead. He throws something. He doesn't just walk off the mound and weep."

He was actually talking about Ernest Hemingway and how he kept writing even after everyone was saying he'd lost it, but it's a sentiment that could apply to anyone. And then of course Hemingway published "The Old Man and the Sea" and proved that he'd never lost it anyway.