Show Printable Version 8 Likes Search this Thread
12-27-2019, 04:26 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Here another news

Sony to invest nearly $1 billion building new image sensor plant

Aims to increase global marketshare to 60%

You can read the details here
https://sonyreconsidered.com/sony-to-invest-nearly-1-billion-building-new-im...t-ef090187e414

---------- Post added 27th Dec 2019 at 18:28 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Apet-Sure Quote
Do we know for sure that Sony doesn't have a separate factory for camera sensors?
Oups , they have more than one plant I just found out
Seem no d edicated plant. They have 4 plants
https://www.sony-semicon.co.jp/e/company/base/

QuoteQuote:
Sony’s vast Kumamoto Technology Center.
A staggering four million sensors a day are produced for a wide range of imaging products
Home to the Sony Semiconductor Manufacturing Corporation, the Center produces a staggering four million sensors a day for a wide range of imaging products. Many will find their way into Sony-badged cameras and smartphones like the Alpha A7R III, Cyber-shot RX10 IV and Xperia XZ1, while others are destined for a host of cameras and devices from other brands that rely on Sony for their sensors.
https://www.techradar.com/news/a-rare-glimpse-inside-sonys-giant-kumamoto-sensor-factory

Last edited by bobmaxja; 12-27-2019 at 04:42 PM.
12-27-2019, 04:33 PM - 1 Like   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
They will need that new $1 billion building for all the sensors for the K-new camera that they'll need to make!
12-27-2019, 04:45 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by house Quote
Just wish Sony had more and better competition. Our world is getting ridiculously centralised. They are so few manufacturers/providers of any given thing globally. Soviet russia had more real variation than we do in several areas.
If you don't want a camera with a Sony sensor, there is Canon, Panasonic, and Sigma.
12-27-2019, 04:53 PM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Apet-Sure Quote
Do we know for sure that Sony doesn't have a separate factory for camera sensors?
This list shows of 3 Sony's fabs make CMOS Image Sensors.

List of semiconductor fabrication plants - Wikipedia

12-27-2019, 04:55 PM - 2 Likes   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
Foodstuffs are the most egregious example, I think. Media is ridiculous as well. Electronics (or tech in general -take your pick of AMD or Intel/nVidia) yet another example. So much for the free market...
It's actually the free market (such as it is) that allows this to happen. Not sure how much can be said without careening too close to political discussion
12-27-2019, 05:48 PM   #21
Imp
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
It's actually the free market (such as it is) that allows this to happen. Not sure how much can be said without careening too close to political discussion
^ good place to leave it
12-28-2019, 12:02 AM   #22
Pentaxian

I don't have anything against Sony sensors as long as they are very good sensors. I'm more concerned about Sony cameras, that I find poor implementation of a camera , yet heavily promoted and gaining market share , is not a fair play of the free market. There is free market, and the goodness of free market can turn to unethical use of brainwashing. The Sony high end cameras are built like entry level Pentax, with the mode dial on right side of the viewfinder, what a joke.

12-28-2019, 01:26 AM   #23

I don’t know much about this, presumably advances in phone sensors are driving advances in larger “camera” sensors at this point?
12-28-2019, 07:52 AM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
I don't have anything against Sony sensors as long as they are very good sensors. I'm more concerned about Sony cameras, that I find poor implementation of a camera , yet heavily promoted and gaining market share , is not a fair play of the free market. There is free market, and the goodness of free market can turn to unethical use of brainwashing. The Sony high end cameras are built like entry level Pentax, with the mode dial on right side of the viewfinder, what a joke.
I don't own a Sony camera, but I have read comments about the ergonomics and build quality not being so good. OTOH I think the ergonomics for using a smartphone camera to be awful, yet billions of people like it just fine.

Since I bought my Pentax K100D in 2007, it has been my observation that Pentax DSLR apparent build quality is consistently above other brands at the same price point. A couple years ago I used a Nikon D7100 and it had more flex in the body than my K-5 II. Earlier this year I owned a Fuji X-T20, and found my K-70 more comfortable and also feeling like a higher quality instrument.

The tactile sensation of the gear means a great deal to me.
12-28-2019, 07:55 AM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

While I agree in most respects with the sentiment, the comment about the mode dial is confusing and to me not a real issue.
12-28-2019, 07:56 AM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by hypermodern Quote
I don’t know much about this, presumably advances in phone sensors are driving advances in larger “camera” sensors at this point?
It makes sense, the phone market is huge and there is much advertising about image quality differences in smartphone cameras. It seems like there is a greater drive for advertising to promote features in the ILC world instead of all-out image quality.

Of course, some folks are still swayed by large megapickel counts...
12-28-2019, 09:29 AM   #27
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
What I meant asking for competition to Sony is that sensor tech development is a bit slow at the moment. All focus seems to be on focus and other milc features. I'm sure more competition would be good for price as well as features.
12-28-2019, 09:35 AM   #28
Pentaxian

OTOH I think the ergonomics for using a smartphone camera to be awful, yet billions of people like it just fine.
I find phone easier to use than a camera, super easy, not a 100 list menu of a Sony A7 to go through to set the camera for a shot.
12-28-2019, 09:40 AM - 1 Like   #29
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I find phone easier to use than a camera, super easy, not a 100 list menu of a Sony A7 to go through to set the camera for a shot.
But it's the actual handling that's the issue. Have you set up a physical button for your phone camera? I find the process and physical handling of phones as cameras really annoying. I do realise that you can learn to like almost anything if you practice enough.
12-28-2019, 09:41 AM   #30
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
the comment about the mode dial is confusing and to me not a real issue
Not an issue, just manufacturing cost saving on a $3500 made in china... that's embarassing. Generally I can believe customers accepting the build quality at the price they pay for cameras. Imagine, the Z7 battery door is held by two bits of plastic and it breaks very easily, prices slowly increased, quality decreased, customer got used to it (like the story of a fog in water not realizing the water slowly gets warmer and warmer to the point the frog can jump out).