Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
01-07-2020, 12:52 AM - 3 Likes   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Just Adapted Another Interesting Old Lens...

I love to adapt old lenses. One that I finally got around to doing just today was the Nikkor-O 55mm f/1.2 CRT lens. A famous bokeh photographer I regard highly considers it one of his favorite two bokeh lenses of all time (the other lens is his new $8000 Nikkor Noct).

While this old CRT lens on a DSLR full frame will only focus on a subject no larger than a soda/pop can; on a mirrorless camera it will focus to infinity.

Below are my first few photos taken with it on my K-1 camera. Besides having excellent melty bokeh, it is the single sharpest lens that I have ever tested (unfortuneatly you can't tell by looking at these small jpgs)

Tomorrow I'll be taking this lens apart and working on it. I need to remove some fungus, and check out what I'm thinking might be early stage separation of a couple of cemented elements.

Last edited by Fenwoodian; 05-06-2020 at 10:47 PM.
01-07-2020, 01:11 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Fenwoodian Quote
. . .Nikkor-O 55mm f/1.2 CRT lens. . .

Looks good so far. May we see a picture of the lens, please?
01-07-2020, 02:32 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by .a.t. Quote
Looks good so far. May we see a picture of the lens, please?
Here's a couple of photos of an unadapted lens...

Last edited by Fenwoodian; 05-06-2020 at 10:47 PM.
01-07-2020, 03:19 AM   #4
PJ1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

You have aroused my curiosity. I would like to see bit more info on how you adapted it.

01-07-2020, 07:30 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Nice shots.
Now I really want to play with my A 50/1.2 wide open near the minimum focal distance.
01-07-2020, 08:36 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Nice dreamy shots you're getting... good luck with the restoration
01-07-2020, 09:01 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

very dreamy effect. very nice!

PS - at first I thought you had adapted the nikon camera lens

01-07-2020, 10:35 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by PJ1 Quote
You have aroused my curiosity. I would like to see bit more info on how you adapted it.
There are litterally dozens of ways to adapt this M39 lens. Some involve the use of focusing helicoils.

I've already purchased 8 different components for adapting this lens. I've only received and tried out 4 or 5 of them. Just today I purchased an additional 4 components to add to the trials.

Each method has it's advantages and disadvantages; especially as it realates to the proximity of the rear of the lens to the mirror (on DSLRs) and the sensor (on mirrorless). Also, it depends greatly on the size of the subjects that you intend to shoot.

I have two goals:

1). To find the perfect set of adapters to use this on my Fuji X-E3 camera body for shooting portraits/people.
2). To find the perfect set of adapters to use this on my Pentax K-1 body for shooting flowers.

I expect that I'll eventually purchase a second lens so that I can have one set up permanently for each camera so I won't need to mess with continually swapping out adapters.
01-07-2020, 11:22 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Fenwoodian Quote
Here's a couple of photos of an unadapted lens...

Thank you.

I found more information here.
01-07-2020, 11:42 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by .a.t. Quote
Thank you.

I found more information here.
I've previously read that article. That author misses the point entirely. The photos he posts are not good examples of what this lens can do. All of the photos he posted were of subjects at mid-distances or further. This lens only shines as a close up lens (or reversed for use as a macro lens). At greater distances, this lenses performance is poor.
01-08-2020, 01:09 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That's actually a really interesting effect...
01-08-2020, 09:39 PM   #12
Pentaxian

I would love to see pictures from a lens that can focus past macro distances. The bokeh is quite excellent!
01-09-2020, 08:12 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ZombieArmy Quote
I would love to see pictures from a lens that can focus past macro distances. The bokeh is quite excellent!
I've got an adapter coming that will allow me to use this lens on my mirrorless Fuju X-E3. I'll take some photos with that set up and post them here in a few days.