Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-14-2020, 06:01 AM - 1 Like   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Speaking of New "Camera" technology.

Not sure where this belongs so please move accordingly mods..thx

Speaking of New "Camera" technology....

This ?mind-reading? algorithm can decode the pictures in your head | Science | AAAS

For all the discussions and talks about camera systems and resolution, and tech , which is better which is lacking. Etc .. one day you may just be able to download anything you have seen.. no camera needed! Lol

Just some food for thought that I came across.

Al

01-14-2020, 07:23 AM - 2 Likes   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Cool!

However, research in cognitive science shows that human vision is nothing like a camera. Instead, what the brain stores is a heavily edited composite assembled from lots of tiny high-resolution snapshots embedded in low-resolution models of what it thought it saw.

The "raw" image data doesn't even make it out of the retina.
01-14-2020, 08:43 AM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
Cool!

However, research in cognitive science shows that human vision is nothing like a camera. Instead, what the brain stores is a heavily edited composite assembled from lots of tiny high-resolution snapshots embedded in low-resolution models of what it thought it saw.

They would need to definitely need to do some serious extrapolations and digital mumbo jumbo there... however, research shows humans can be pretty darn smart at figuring things out when they actually put that mind to something... I can see it happening one day, Its pretty impressive the baby steps they have already taken on this one.

al
01-14-2020, 08:49 AM - 3 Likes   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Cool!

I can hear it now - complaints about the accelerator have already started....

01-14-2020, 09:13 AM - 5 Likes   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
If and or when this happens eye glasses reviews will take on new meaning.
The new 10x telephoto glasses are great. The tint really helps for glare while still allowing plenty of light through. Unfortunately the weight causes undue neck strain. If you are going to use these for prolonged viewing I recommend also getting the Manfrotro 502 neck brace.
01-14-2020, 09:36 AM - 2 Likes   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by swanlefitte Quote
If and or when this happens eye glasses reviews will take on new meaning.
The new 10x telephoto glasses are great. The tint really helps for glare while still allowing plenty of light through. Unfortunately the weight causes undue neck strain. If you are going to use these for prolonged viewing I recommend also getting the Manfrotro 502 neck brace.
LOL!

And the same people who wear their baseball caps backwards will wear their eyeball lens hoods backwards.
01-14-2020, 10:01 AM   #7
Pentaxian

LOL!

And the same people who wear their baseball caps backwards will wear their eyeball lens hoods backwards.
Oi, sometimes you want to protect your nape. I however, with the aim of preserving a fashion sense, wear a cap with a back curtain for almost 360 protection.
01-14-2020, 11:03 AM - 3 Likes   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
Oi, sometimes you want to protect your nape. I however, with the aim of preserving a fashion sense, wear a cap with a back curtain for almost 360 protection.
My wife calls those, "Birth control hats..."

01-14-2020, 11:12 AM - 1 Like   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
My wife calls those, "Birth control hats..."
Every time I put it on I hear a snicker and a "Dora the explorer" joke, but at least she finds it somewhat cute

I am still not allowed to wear hiking boots on anything remotely close to a social situation, though.
01-14-2020, 03:34 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote

I am still not allowed to wear hiking boots on anything remotely close to a social situation, though.
Thats business casual where I work
6 Days Ago   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
...heavily edited composite assembled from lots of tiny high-resolution snapshots embedded in low-resolution models of what it thought it saw.
I can hear it now..."You Photoshopped all of your images! They're fake!"
6 Days Ago - 3 Likes   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A friend of mine was working at a minilab in Santa Cruz, CA. A woman brought her camera in to get the film unloaded and developed. He opened the back and saw that there was no film. He said " that's unfortunate". She said " if I tell you what I took pictures of can you print them anyway?" ( This is a true story ) So she was just a little too early with her request.
6 Days Ago   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxus Quote
A friend of mine was working at a minilab in Santa Cruz, CA. A woman brought her camera in to get the film unloaded and developed. He opened the back and saw that there was no film. He said " that's unfortunate". She said " if I tell you what I took pictures of can you print them anyway?" ( This is a true story ) So she was just a little too early with her request.
LMAO! Thats too funny, but sadly I can believe it happening.