Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-20-2020, 03:53 AM - 2 Likes   #1
Forum Member

Light Meter (Sekonic 508) itís a fun toy

Recently I started a thread asking about light meters, and I got a lot of great responses and help. After reading through the posts and doing some research about zones and reflective metering, they started to make sense. Using a spot meter to measure the light and darkest parts of a scene made a lot of sense to me.

As was pointed out to me my camera’s meter can achieve the same result by taking test captures and reading the histogram. I have practised this method and through trial and error does eventually produce an acceptable result.

As a novice there is a lot of test shots and adjustments which I am sure a lot of beginners have and still do on a daily basis. When I mentioned to someone I work with that I had been researching light meters he mentioned his Sekonic 508.

I did not realize this fellow was interested in photography so it was a great to have someone to compare notes with. We did go out to shoot some landscapes and I did try his meter. He was giving me tips along the way and I can see the learning curve involved , but it really opened my eyes to reading light and how it affects exposure.

The light meter did not suddenly make me “king of exposures” but it did teach me a lot about light in a scene and help me further understand the concept of the zone system. The measuring of the brightest parts and the darkest parts of the scene and averaging them was a very helpful starting point.

I found that the light meter is not going to make the exposure for you but will accurately give you the information to guide you along the way to a good exposure. From a novice point of view I really liked using it, but would I pay the price of a new L858 D well I can honestly say “I don’t know”

Mike

Last edited by rml63; 01-20-2020 at 01:31 PM.
01-20-2020, 04:19 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
For me it is the Gossen Sixtomat Digital, love it, I'd go for a F2 as a replacement in the future. Always been keen on the Gossen's.
01-20-2020, 06:31 AM   #3

I, like you, have found a light meter to be quite useful. Mine, a Sekonic L-478D-U, gives me insight into a scenes light that a camera meter does not.
01-20-2020, 01:59 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Mine is Weston Master V and Invercone

01-20-2020, 04:25 PM   #5
Pentaxian

light meters are fun and interesting to use! it is nice to slow down and evaluate the light in a scene for a shot.....in general I only use them when shooting film with bodies that do not have a metering system....as of late a kodak retina Ia and yashicaflex TLR.....only one roll developed so far and the exposures have been decent with the use of a battery operated Polaris meter (ferget which model) and also a GE DW58 (no batteries! and works great!)…..it's neat to kinda get an 'average' using these old school tools of what is going to be shot and making a decision of what settings to use......not that I know for sure but err to overexposure with film as if the film don't get enough there ain't pulling up shadows and is forgiving to overexposure without getting blown out
01-21-2020, 02:54 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by beachgardener Quote
Always been keen on the Gossen's.
I work with a sekonic LiteMaster Pro L-478DR, the version with the built in Elinchrom flash trigger, makes sense to get it since I work with Elinchrom flash gear all day. But in the past I have found the Minolta flash meters are very reliable. At the studio where I work there are a huge variety in the meters each of my colleagues uses...l don't mention many of the unspoken rules of fashion photography but where I work it is considered to be a faux pas to show up at the studio with the same flash meter as the person working in the studio next to you, Duels have been started over less.
01-21-2020, 03:12 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
Duels have been started over less.
actually my flash meter is a Polaris, works quite well with my Visatec lights, so I'd be safe as not many of them will have one of them.
01-21-2020, 04:57 AM   #8
pid
Pentaxian

My Gossen F2 is really easy to use and works great. It is a fantastic, easy, fast and sure way for getting the right exposure, if you like to work in the M Mode of your Cam