Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 21 Likes Search this Thread
01-23-2020, 02:21 AM - 1 Like   #16
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
Informative posts. Glases are such a crap shoot. I tend to wear a pair that works till they break.

Single vision glasses have pretty well reached the point of not offering enough correction. I need to choose between bifocals and varifocal. Is one better for using a dslr? I'm near sighted with slight astigmatism.

Thanks,
barondla
Bit different to you - I get my eyes very carefully checked every year and change my glasses roughly every two years as a result because I know how dangerous it can be to drive with defective vision!

As for using bifocals V varifocals with DSLRs? I think it will depend on how "bad" your sight is, and what the defects are?

For me (with quite strong "short sight" and very significant astigmatism in the Right eye), my bifocals work well with both the K-3's and the K-70 because they allow me to use the most appropriate part of the lenses for the V/F and for both the the top and rear screens.

OTOH, the medium-to-far distance varifocals are more comfortable in most situations, but it is more difficult to use see the top and rear screens clearly - and so I sometimes even take the glasses off!

01-23-2020, 01:33 PM - 1 Like   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
After some time with Rodenstock and Zeiss, I'm currently using YSIS glass from Rupp+Hubrach - "free form" optimized beyond standard aspherical ones. They're excellent in minimizing distortions. What I am still struggling with are chromatic abberations when post-processing images. My optometrist did obtain dispersion data from r+h and I chose a glass with somewhat lower diffraction index but lower dispersion, but still: When I'm editing photos and watch for colored edges, I need to use high enough magnification to judge, or otherwise I can 'correct' or produce lateral chromatic errors by turning my head.
02-07-2020, 08:46 AM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Good advice to consider here...

Since most of us are looking through our eyeglasses more hours than all our camera lenses combined.

All I have to add is my alternative to prescription sunglasses. I keep my regular glasses frames small and nearly square, a classic, once-ubiquitous style known as the AO Liner. Then I wear Bausch & Lomb Aviators over them in bright sunlight. The Aviators are as large as possible, so everything fits with no distracting lines or shortfalls. Is it a flattering fashion look? Hardly. But it's quite practical and protective. When I want to take a photo, it's easy to remove the sunglasses for as brighter view. Easier than switching two pair, anyway.
02-07-2020, 10:29 PM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Finally got my mew prescription sunglasses today. It was like stepping into a new world.