Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-29-2020, 09:44 PM - 1 Like   #31
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
The article's author changes the global setting with changes of lens.

Steve
Yeah, which is even more of a pain, it means remembering FA for lenses, scribbling on their caps or something or other lol. I did try that all myself and found it not really usable for the kinds of photography I do.

You know what does work? A better focus screen

Last edited by BruceBanner; 01-29-2020 at 11:27 PM.
01-30-2020, 12:43 AM   #32
The one and only
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BruceBanner Quote
I shall do my best to report back. My feeling is if you do use a lot of 'slow' lenses then yeah, this might not be the screen for you. I did however bang out some cracking shots with my Tak 135/3.5 yesterday however, it was helped by doing so outside on a bright day. I wonder if a UV filter and/or a CPL will just be too much for these lenses tho...
Sounds like an other reason to get an second FF body
01-30-2020, 12:46 AM   #33
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I deny I said that..... man... I'm psychic...
01-30-2020, 02:15 AM - 1 Like   #34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by iheiramo Quote
Sounds like an other reason to get an second FF body
hehe... what I do have is a KP with a stock screen, it might be possible to use the same settings and share the KP and K-1 with a tripod, set the K-1 to crop mode and do some metering exposure differences at least.

Someone on the Takumar thread was talking about a small hack to get a Tak lens working in TAv mode hehe, so yeah... I actually think a modded K-1 for Manual focus glass is not completely mental tbh

QuoteOriginally posted by noelpolar Quote
I deny I said that..... man... I'm psychic...
hahah!

01-31-2020, 08:43 PM - 1 Like   #35
Pentaxian

Oh well.... $184 poorer.... S screen on the way..... present for silver K1 (black one stays on 150-450).. now to get the vacum cleaner prepped.

I played with a mirrorless camera the other day (leica and panasonic)...... pondering.... but nah.

Last edited by noelpolar; 01-31-2020 at 08:50 PM.
01-31-2020, 10:09 PM   #36
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Oh well.... $184 poorer.... S screen on the way..... present for silver K1 (black one stays on 150-450).. now to get the vacum cleaner prepped.

I played with a mirrorless camera the other day (leica and panasonic)...... pondering.... but nah.
I don't think you'll regret it. What I might do eventually is get a second K-1 and not have the S Type in that body and then just mark one as the S Type and the other stock and thus if using f4 lenses or in dark room environments then just use the other camera. That's what I'm going to do I think with the KP, leave as is. I'd actually like to know if the K-1 screen fits the KP (and can get rid of all the AF guidelines?
02-18-2020, 10:19 PM - 1 Like   #37
Pentaxian

My "S" screen came a few days ago... fitted it today..... not as steady as I once once.... but got there..... needed to replace the metal shim as per Bruce's experience...... don't need focus peaking anymore..... focuses easy at f1.2 with my SMC K 50/1.2.... but I normally shoot at f2 anyway. Shot below at f1.2....

I have a tenpa 1.22 viewfinder on the way.... so will write up a bit more as my experience continues..... now to get rid of the viewfinder specs...... where is the vacuum cleaner.......

Both these are either wide open or one click closed.... but easy to get now.... 3 out of 4 are this or better..... without screen then live view was the go.... for me.

K 85/1.8

and K50/1.2

So I now have one K1 with a S screen and one stock..... so will report back on my low lightish experience with various lenses in the fullness of time.

Last edited by noelpolar; 02-19-2020 at 02:32 AM.
02-18-2020, 11:39 PM - 1 Like   #38
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
My "S" screen came a few days ago... fitted it today..... not as steady as I once once.... but got there..... needed to replace the metal shim as per Bruce's experience...... don't need focus peaking anymore..... focuses easy at f1.2 with my SMC K 50/1.2.... but I normally shoot at f2 anyway. Shot below at f1.2....

I have a ten 1.22 viewfinder on the way.... so will write up a bit more as my experience continues..... now to get rid of the viewfinder specs...... where is the vacuum cleaner.......

Both these are either wide open or one click closed.... but easy to get now.... 3 out of 4 are this or better..... without screen then live view was the go.... for me.

K 85/1.8

and K50/1.2

So I now have one K1 with a S screen and one stock..... so will report back on my low lightish experience with various lenses in the fullness of time.
Glad to hear someone else's experience is mimicking my own.

I have still not refitted the Tenpa 1.22 over my new S type screen. Part of me must be hesitant, perhaps I am carrying over my Hifi days and thinking the experience will be akin to 'double amping' and thus perhaps not an advisable stack (but I too will give it a try sometime later, for now it feels unnecessary).

I have noticed some lenses it feels like the new screen really assists and others not quite as much. I think perhaps lenses that are slightly more tele (like the FA77 and longer) then the focus point really 'pops' when in focus a lot more than it used to.

02-19-2020, 02:26 AM - 1 Like   #39
Pentaxian

Just tried my SMC K 200/4..... fabo easy!

all at F4

I did have a S screen in a K5II a few years back..... much much better on the K1.... I reckon.

I will try my 20mm tomorrow.

---------- Post added 19-02-20 at 08:00 PM ----------

I have still not refitted the Tenpa 1.22 over my new S type screen. Part of me must be hesitant, perhaps I am carrying over my Hifi days and thinking the experience will be akin to 'double amping' and thus perhaps not an advisable stack (but I too will give it a try sometime later, for now it feels unnecessary).
I can see how the Tenpa may not be needed.... but.... if it keeps my nose from smudging the screen then.....

---------- Post added 19-02-20 at 08:25 PM ----------

At this stage.... it also appears to me that the focus confirmation in the viewfinder is more accurate.... or works over a narrower range.

Last edited by noelpolar; 02-19-2020 at 02:33 AM.
02-19-2020, 12:20 PM   #40
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
At this stage.... it also appears to me that the focus confirmation in the viewfinder is more accurate.... or works over a narrower range.
It depends on the lens maximum aperture. With your slower lenses the S-type screen is less capable at detecting OOF than at the f/1.8 to f/2.8 range* it is designed for.

Steve

* The range is a matter of aperture size, not the amount of light and not DOF.
02-19-2020, 12:28 PM   #41
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
It depends on the lens maximum aperture. With your slower lenses the S-type screen is less capable at detecting OOF than at the f/1.8 to f/2.8 range* it is designed for.

Steve

* The range is a matter of aperture size, not the amount of light and not DOF.
I have not used AF confirmation much as many of my shots taken with the new screen have been with the subject away from centre AF point. I will say however that the focus feedback still seems to work really well on stopped down lenses. Yesterday I was using the DA* 60-250/4 and the focus feedback was really nice, even right up to f6.3, but this was in an outdoor well lit scene. It's all about the available light, the drawback of installing this screen is using f4 glass indoors etc.
02-19-2020, 12:44 PM   #42
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

I will say however that the focus feedback still seems to work really well on stopped down lenses.
Remember that with K-mount lenses, focus is always* done with the lens wide open. On your DA* 60-250/4.0, this is always f/4.0 even when shooting at f/6.3.

Steve

* This is due to the default behavior of the lens aperture coupling. Exceptions might be lenses mounted to bellows or extension tubes, and those having preset or fully manual aperture mechanisms.
02-19-2020, 01:04 PM   #43
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Remember that with K-mount lenses, focus is always* done with the lens wide open. On your DA* 60-250/4.0, this is always f/4.0 even when shooting at f/6.3.

Steve

* This is due to the default behavior of the lens aperture coupling. Exceptions might be lenses mounted to bellows or extension tubes, and those having preset or fully manual aperture mechanisms.
Yes sorry, I should have stipulated using Optical Preview in addition.
02-19-2020, 02:46 PM - 1 Like   #44
Pentaxian

I see that focusing screen suggest using sticky tape to clean screen...

Google translation
"No trace tape <Figure 4> Good thing, the dust removal of the tape is to use the sticking method to "stick" the dust.Because there is no parallel wiping action, it will not leave scratches. It is a good helper to remove stubborn dust. It is also effective against oil stains. It may bring static electricity to attract some dust.It is better to use with air tank (3M's Magic Tape stationery store sells for about 60 yuan)"

http://www.focusingscreen.com/work/sweeping.htm
02-19-2020, 03:37 PM   #45
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

I see that focusing screen suggest using sticky tape to clean screen...

Google translation
"No trace tape <Figure 4> Good thing, the dust removal of the tape is to use the sticking method to "stick" the dust.Because there is no parallel wiping action, it will not leave scratches. It is a good helper to remove stubborn dust. It is also effective against oil stains. It may bring static electricity to attract some dust.It is better to use with air tank (3M's Magic Tape stationery store sells for about 60 yuan)"

????--???????_?????????--
Despite their suggestion, NEVER use canned or compressed air inside your camera. I would go as far as to suggest that it is not a good thing to spray on the outside of the camera either. I would also suggest against using vacuum (draws room air dust in) inside the mirror box.

Steve