Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-06-2020, 12:16 AM   #16
Veteran Member

As far as I recall the sticker was applied at QC by the factory but I remember reading manufacturers had to pay a % on sales for the JCII but it was a two way street as the JCII carried out research and shared results and market data.

It was all part of the quality drive to boost exports by providing an independent assessment that the goods were great quality, it certainly worked as back then getting a dud Japanese optical bit of kit was a rarity in an age when even a toaster made elsewhere couldnt be relied on. I think the JCII also carried out random sampling to make sure no one was cheating.

There was a huge article on it back when in one of the mags looking at the JCIIs work. Back then I used to peel the stickers off, these days I tend to keep them on as a memoriam. They often get brittle and just fall off though.

02-06-2020, 05:00 AM   #17
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
these sources differ somewhat:

QuoteQuote:
Reflections on the JCII PASSED oval stickers

The gold-colored sticker shown in Figure 1 is a small historical curiosity. An oval PASSED sticker similar to this was attached to virtually all camera equipment exported from Japan between the 1950s to the mid-1980s. JCII stands for Japan Camera Industry Institute, and JMDC for Japan Machinery Design Center. These stickers were attached to camera products that satisfied minimal quality requirements and were not blatant copies of German camera products of the time. The sticker does not mean that the individual item was tested, only that its model had been deemed to be usable and not a knockoff. At that time, goods manufactured in Japan were regarded abroad, often with good reason, as cheap trash or (externally at least) exact copies of patented items made in other countries, and this sticker was an effort by Japanese companies and government to improve their image. . . .
JCII PASSED stickers

In addition to this inspection function, JCII in 1969 started to designate some cameras as “Historical Japanese Cameras“ and began efforts to preserve these important items. . . .
???????? JCII Camera Museum?JCII Camera Museum

it would certainly be easier to "approve " the specific model, and allow the manufacturer to produce that model and put on the sticker and then do random inspection checks afterwards than inspect each camera produced

but that doesn't mean it could not be done

QuoteQuote:
Japan Camera Industry Institute was founded in 1954 as the Japan Camera Inspection Institute. Since then, for the past 35 years, we have provided various services including export inspection and examinations and researches on camera, while contributing to the quality improvement of camera as well as playing a role in facilitating the international interaction for the camera industry.

When camera was exempted from the export inspection in December 1989
, JCII changed in direction of its business from the inspection service to cultural service. In order to support this change, we opened JCII Camera Museum in 1989, JCII Photo Salon in April 1991, and JCII Library in June 1991. In addition to the establishment of these affiliated facilities, we also started photo clinics in September 1991. Then, JCII Club25 (gallery for rent), photo lab and studio are opened in May 1994, and the name of institute was also changed to Japan Camera Industry Institute in 1999. Now we are moving forward to achieve our new goal of spreading and promoting photography and image culture. Having the museum, photo salon and library as the center of cultural services and having the strong technical background, JCII is the only institute having such wide range of experiences in the field, which makes the existence of JCII very special . . .
http://www.jcii-camera.or.jp/e/profile/

Last edited by aslyfox; 02-06-2020 at 05:20 AM.
02-06-2020, 08:11 AM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
I don't even use my Pentax neck strap! (Okay that one is because I use a belt holder plus a small wrist strap, but you get the point
I don't use the provided strap because I like having the camera and lens slung across my body and the provided strap is way too small for that on me. I actually want a larger strap than I have so I use it like a rifle sling for stabilization but I haven't found a camera strap that will work for that.
02-06-2020, 08:16 AM   #19

QuoteOriginally posted by MossyRocks Quote
I don't use the provided strap because I like having the camera and lens slung across my body and the provided strap is way too small for that on me. I actually want a larger strap than I have so I use it like a rifle sling for stabilization but I haven't found a camera strap that will work for that.
Have you looked at the Peak Design straps ?

Quick-Connecting Camera Straps | Peak Design Official Site

02-06-2020, 11:45 AM   #20
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MossyRocks Quote
QuoteOriginally posted by devouges Quote

there are many types of third party slings

I use Optech USA's Utility sling
QuoteQuote:
Utility Strap™ - Sling and Utility Strap™ - Sling XL Quick Adjust

Comfortable camera sling for carrying heavy cameras for extended periods of time; designed for both men and women
Neoprene pad combines internal control-stretch system and LycraŽ binding to evenly distribute the weight and absorb shock
Non-skid surface keeps the strap securely on your shoulder
Quick disconnects with two Uni-Loop connectors
Attaches to strap connection points on the camera body, where the body is designed to carry the load, so no stress is put on your camera housing or lens mount area
Leaves the tripod mount free for use
Convertible to right shoulder use with the addition of the System Connectors - Gender Changers™ Watch Video
See how it can be used with a quick-release plate
OP/TECH USA | Comfortable neoprene camera straps and slings | OP/TECH USA
02-06-2020, 12:51 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by devouges Quote

I haven't looked at those ones specifically but actually own some that are very similar sans the quick connect feature. They work fine for having it slung across the body and I do use them for that however they are not long enough and it doesn't appear that the Peak design ones would be either to use for stabilization like one can do with a rifle where there is pressure on the sling in 3 spots. For me they would be on the right side of my neck, my inside left bicep, and wrapped around my left forearm. In that setup the sling will hold the arm supporting the camera stable to one's torso, and the camera stable to that arm. Frequently using longer lenses hand held and having one beast of a long lens I have started looking for a solution to be able to more effectively shoot and carry them hand held. Part of my problem is that I am a big guy with a chest measurement of 56 inches (while I am a bit fatter than I would like to be my waist is only 36 inches) so while other people probably could do what I want with those slings I can't seem to. Now with this discussion I really want to see if I can get a longer rifle sling setup so that I can use it to take handheld shots with the K-3 and SMC A* 400/2.8
02-06-2020, 12:57 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Cameras were not individually inspected. The manufacturer got rolls of stickers to put on the product after JCII checked one out. I suspect the stickers went into disuse when Canon and Pentax started having things made outside Japan.
02-06-2020, 02:00 PM   #23
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxus Quote
The manufacturer got rolls of stickers to put on the product after JCII checked one out.
Sooooo...what do the numbers on the stickers mean?

Steve

02-06-2020, 02:17 PM   #24
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

In case anyone is wanting a source of replacements, there is an aftermarket for JCII stickers...

Vintage JCII 48 PASSED Original Quality Control Sticker Japan | Etsy

Steve
02-06-2020, 02:25 PM   #25
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Sir Nameless Quote
You put your logo on clothes? Not buying.
My daughter tells me that handbags (from expensive brands, usually with logos on the outside) actually appreciate in value. She's doing a fashion degree.
And my son says the same about some very expensive sneakers. Apparently there are enough nutters out there who value these things and there's money to be made when knowing when to buy or sell these things.

Odd, but there you have it.
02-07-2020, 07:45 AM - 1 Like   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Haha, don't buy anything from me then!

I tend to peel extraneous stickers off all my possessions.

Intel inside? Gone.
Designed for Windows? Bye bye.
Car dealer stickers. Dealer stickers! Get lost. No free advertising.
Feature stickers. "PZEV" "Improved!" "300W" "Hyper-symmetrical-high-velocity-nitro-cooled-blah-blah-blah" I don't need to advertise how cool I am (or...not). Adios.
You put your logo on clothes? Not buying.

I hate being a billboard.
So I guess you pry the make and model off the vehicles you drive too?
02-07-2020, 07:52 AM   #27
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Sir Nameless

don't say you tear the tag off of your mattress

that might get you in trouble

This Is Why It's Illegal to Remove a Mattress Tag | Family Handyman

02-07-2020, 07:56 AM - 1 Like   #28
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote
So I guess you pry the make and model off the vehicles you drive too?
Funny you should mention that. I pried off the dealer name and feature thingies (Parially zero emissions? Really? What does that even mean and why is that something to brag about?), but I left on the make and model for two reasons:
- I thought it would look funny with nothing filling all that empty space
- My arm got sore from rubbing off all the glue. And it was hot out.

I didn't want to hijack Aslyfox's thread any further with my rant but I guess it's too late now. Look at those Pentax FA teleprimes. Horrible brand bling on those.
02-07-2020, 08:03 AM - 1 Like   #29
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
F. . . I didn't want to hijack Aslyfox's thread any further with my rant but I guess it's too late now. Look at those Pentax FA teleprimes. Horrible brand bling on those.
you don't upset me with the " hijacking "

in my experience, most threads here get hijacked either completely or temporary
02-07-2020, 08:07 AM   #30
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
My daughter tells me that handbags (from expensive brands, usually with logos on the outside) actually appreciate in value. She's doing a fashion degree.
And my son says the same about some very expensive sneakers. Apparently there are enough nutters out there who value these things and there's money to be made when knowing when to buy or sell these things.

Odd, but there you have it.
I have found that " collections " are really only valuable if you sell and are lucky enough to find a buyer wiling to pay an acceptable price