Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-09-2020, 05:39 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: North Houston, TX
Posts: 71
Buying a body from Japan?

On Ebay l see many Pentax bodies in Japan. Will a battery charger from Japan work with the 120 volt outlets in the USA?

02-09-2020, 05:45 AM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
sergysergy's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 3,645
yes, they are dual voltage.
02-09-2020, 07:02 AM - 4 Likes   #3
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
BigMackCam's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: North-East of England
Posts: 14,388
Just be careful to fully read the entire listing with regard to condition. You'll see a lot of Japanese items listed as being in "excellent", "A+" or similar condition, yet buried in the description will be mention of fungus, paint wear or other problems - or, worse still, no mention of these things, but the full size photos tell the truth. I know many members have successfully bought from Japan and been quite happy, but I think a lot of the sellers tend to be somewhat optimistic in their descriptions, with "excellent" often meaning "full working order but quite noticeable wear and tear"...
02-09-2020, 08:53 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Riddler's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2019
Posts: 246
Completely true

02-09-2020, 10:19 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
blackcloudbrew's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Cotati, California USA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 4,106
Personally, I've always had good experiences when buying from Japan through ebay. Yes, you have to read carefully, but...that is always true for any online purchase. I will say that the other thing I've experienced with Japan purchases, is very polite communications with the sellers. I've even had occasionally a piece of origami thrown in...very cool.
02-09-2020, 10:31 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 105
QuoteOriginally posted by blackcloudbrew Quote
Personally, I've always had good experiences when buying from Japan through ebay. Yes, you have to read carefully, but...that is always true for any online purchase. I will say that the other thing I've experienced with Japan purchases, is very polite communications with the sellers. I've even had occasionally a piece of origami thrown in...very cool.
I have had good luck buying from Japan with one exception. I bought a "mint" DA 60-250 and when it arrived found the foot and hood were not included.. On checking the photos found the parts were not shown. My mistake was assuming "mint" meant like factory new. Lesson, check photos carefully.
02-09-2020, 12:14 PM   #7
Forum Member




Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 56
The japanese IMO tend to give a very detailed description with lots of photos of the item.

Just take a time to read through it and look at the images. Imperfections/scratches/scuffs are usually mentioned and/or imaged.

And I guess I'll be the third to share my excellent experience with buying from japan.
02-09-2020, 01:41 PM - 2 Likes   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
jlstrawman's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Midwest US
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 828
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Just be careful to fully read the entire listing with regard to condition. You'll see a lot of Japanese items listed as being in "excellent", "A+" or similar condition, yet buried in the description will be mention of fungus, paint wear or other problems - or, worse still, no mention of these things, but the full size photos tell the truth. I know many members have successfully bought from Japan and been quite happy, but I think a lot of the sellers tend to be somewhat optimistic in their descriptions, with "excellent" often meaning "full working order but quite noticeable wear and tear"...
The word "beautiful" is frequently used, even if fungus is present. A lot of the description phraseology is copied from seller to seller. Many appear to have a limited
grasp of the English language, so proceed with caution.

02-09-2020, 11:47 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: North Houston, TX
Posts: 71
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by krazny Quote
The japanese IMO tend to give a very detailed description with lots of photos of the item.

Just take a time to read through it and look at the images. Imperfections/scratches/scuffs are usually mentioned and/or imaged.

And I guess I'll be the third to share my excellent experience with buying from japan.
Yes l've noticed that. l've bought a few items from sellers in Japan and they were positive experiences. One thing l know is shipping from Japan to the USA is quick, about 1 week. HK and China about 3 weeks. And Russia-it will be here when it gets here. l collect wristwatches, many of them Russian watches. Some took over 2 months to get here.
02-09-2020, 11:51 PM   #10
Pentaxian




Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Dallas / Yucatan
Posts: 1,130
QuoteOriginally posted by jlstrawman Quote
The word "beautiful" is frequently used, even if fungus is present. A lot of the description phraseology is copied from seller to seller. Many appear to have a limited
grasp of the English language, so proceed with caution.
I agree with Mack and Strawman. Although almost all of my purchases have been received quickly and in wonderful condition, I also bought a limited lens which clearly had a "chip" or deep scratch on one of the internal lens elements.

It either was put together that way with a defective element from the factory or was disassembled for cleaning or whatever at some point and damaged while disassembled. The chip was so obvious that even when showing the lens to non-photographer co-workers, they'd say, "What's that?"

Yet, in the description, the lens was "perfect, mint condition, like new." Reviewing the photos again, the chip wasn't shown (focus not in the lens center) on the photos. Returned with full refund. The comment made was that "We didn't notice it" although non-photographers here immediately noticed the glittering defect.

Anyway, long story to say: Ask questions up front. Don't rely on wording alone. Examine every photo closely. It's a hassle to send things back overseas again. And eBay isn't always real great about deciding on behalf of the buyer.
02-10-2020, 02:17 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Essex County, Ontario
Posts: 621
QuoteOriginally posted by krazny Quote
The japanese IMO tend to give a very detailed description with lots of photos of the item.

Just take a time to read through it and look at the images. Imperfections/scratches/scuffs are usually mentioned and/or imaged.

And I guess I'll be the third to share my excellent experience with buying from japan.

I agree. The Japanese ebayers are usually very thorough in their descriptions but often have either a limited knowledge of English or use some kind of translation software that may render nearly unintelligible results. They usually appear to be very honest and often overstate defects so as to not miss anything. The descriptions can be confusing though using a grading system containing three degrees of "Mint" and up to five or more degrees of "Excellent". As stated above, the photos included must be examined carefully. Having said this, my own experience has been completely satisfactory several dozen times now with a large number of sellers. The bonus is Japan's EMS has high standards and gives about the best delivery service in the world.
02-10-2020, 04:31 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
ChrisPlatt's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Rockaway Beach NYC
Posts: 6,106
Always look for corrosion or other evidence of storage in humid conditions.
For us film camera users rust on polished film rails is easy to spot in photos.

Chris
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
japan, photography
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Buying Japan Lenses....Rated as Exc++++.....then the fine print says differently ? Ronald Oakes Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 37 09-11-2019 08:07 AM
Buying from Japan moroccanimager Pentax Medium Format 7 02-12-2019 10:44 PM
Buying used k5 off ebay from Japan mi2nc Pentax K-5 6 01-01-2017 06:33 PM
Buying, or not buying? viggen Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 2 04-06-2009 07:23 AM
Buying Item, Shipped From Japan Tingchaleun Photographic Technique 13 12-15-2007 07:20 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:34 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top