Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-09-2020, 05:39 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Buying a body from Japan?

On Ebay l see many Pentax bodies in Japan. Will a battery charger from Japan work with the 120 volt outlets in the USA?

02-09-2020, 05:45 AM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

yes, they are dual voltage.
02-09-2020, 07:02 AM - 4 Likes   #3
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Just be careful to fully read the entire listing with regard to condition. You'll see a lot of Japanese items listed as being in "excellent", "A+" or similar condition, yet buried in the description will be mention of fungus, paint wear or other problems - or, worse still, no mention of these things, but the full size photos tell the truth. I know many members have successfully bought from Japan and been quite happy, but I think a lot of the sellers tend to be somewhat optimistic in their descriptions, with "excellent" often meaning "full working order but quite noticeable wear and tear"...
02-09-2020, 08:53 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Completely true

02-09-2020, 10:19 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Personally, I've always had good experiences when buying from Japan through ebay. Yes, you have to read carefully, but...that is always true for any online purchase. I will say that the other thing I've experienced with Japan purchases, is very polite communications with the sellers. I've even had occasionally a piece of origami thrown in...very cool.
02-09-2020, 10:31 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by blackcloudbrew Quote
Personally, I've always had good experiences when buying from Japan through ebay. Yes, you have to read carefully, but...that is always true for any online purchase. I will say that the other thing I've experienced with Japan purchases, is very polite communications with the sellers. I've even had occasionally a piece of origami thrown in...very cool.
I have had good luck buying from Japan with one exception. I bought a "mint" DA 60-250 and when it arrived found the foot and hood were not included.. On checking the photos found the parts were not shown. My mistake was assuming "mint" meant like factory new. Lesson, check photos carefully.
02-09-2020, 12:14 PM   #7
Forum Member

The japanese IMO tend to give a very detailed description with lots of photos of the item.

Just take a time to read through it and look at the images. Imperfections/scratches/scuffs are usually mentioned and/or imaged.

And I guess I'll be the third to share my excellent experience with buying from japan.
02-09-2020, 01:41 PM - 2 Likes   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Just be careful to fully read the entire listing with regard to condition. You'll see a lot of Japanese items listed as being in "excellent", "A+" or similar condition, yet buried in the description will be mention of fungus, paint wear or other problems - or, worse still, no mention of these things, but the full size photos tell the truth. I know many members have successfully bought from Japan and been quite happy, but I think a lot of the sellers tend to be somewhat optimistic in their descriptions, with "excellent" often meaning "full working order but quite noticeable wear and tear"...
The word "beautiful" is frequently used, even if fungus is present. A lot of the description phraseology is copied from seller to seller. Many appear to have a limited
grasp of the English language, so proceed with caution.

02-09-2020, 11:47 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by krazny Quote
The japanese IMO tend to give a very detailed description with lots of photos of the item.

Just take a time to read through it and look at the images. Imperfections/scratches/scuffs are usually mentioned and/or imaged.

And I guess I'll be the third to share my excellent experience with buying from japan.
Yes l've noticed that. l've bought a few items from sellers in Japan and they were positive experiences. One thing l know is shipping from Japan to the USA is quick, about 1 week. HK and China about 3 weeks. And Russia-it will be here when it gets here. l collect wristwatches, many of them Russian watches. Some took over 2 months to get here.
02-09-2020, 11:51 PM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jlstrawman Quote
The word "beautiful" is frequently used, even if fungus is present. A lot of the description phraseology is copied from seller to seller. Many appear to have a limited
grasp of the English language, so proceed with caution.
I agree with Mack and Strawman. Although almost all of my purchases have been received quickly and in wonderful condition, I also bought a limited lens which clearly had a "chip" or deep scratch on one of the internal lens elements.

It either was put together that way with a defective element from the factory or was disassembled for cleaning or whatever at some point and damaged while disassembled. The chip was so obvious that even when showing the lens to non-photographer co-workers, they'd say, "What's that?"

Yet, in the description, the lens was "perfect, mint condition, like new." Reviewing the photos again, the chip wasn't shown (focus not in the lens center) on the photos. Returned with full refund. The comment made was that "We didn't notice it" although non-photographers here immediately noticed the glittering defect.

Anyway, long story to say: Ask questions up front. Don't rely on wording alone. Examine every photo closely. It's a hassle to send things back overseas again. And eBay isn't always real great about deciding on behalf of the buyer.
02-10-2020, 02:17 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by krazny Quote

I agree. The Japanese ebayers are usually very thorough in their descriptions but often have either a limited knowledge of English or use some kind of translation software that may render nearly unintelligible results. They usually appear to be very honest and often overstate defects so as to not miss anything. The descriptions can be confusing though using a grading system containing three degrees of "Mint" and up to five or more degrees of "Excellent". As stated above, the photos included must be examined carefully. Having said this, my own experience has been completely satisfactory several dozen times now with a large number of sellers. The bonus is Japan's EMS has high standards and gives about the best delivery service in the world.
02-10-2020, 04:31 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Always look for corrosion or other evidence of storage in humid conditions.
For us film camera users rust on polished film rails is easy to spot in photos.

Chris