Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Considerations

12-03-2021, 05:25 AM   #197
dlhawes

QuoteOriginally posted by robgski Quote
Though I live in a rural area with a few small parks, I do sometimes wish I lived in the Alps.
Though I live in a small town with a few shops and restaurants on one main street, I do sometimes wish I lived in London, Paris, New York City, or any city just for the "street" and architecture opportunities.
How do I counter this? By paying even more attention to the things that are available to me, how the light changes their appearance at different times of day. Where and when a person or group of people go to the park, or drink coffee in front of the restaurant, or sit in the alley behind it and smoke.
In this way, I'm able to imagine how to capture those images to best visual, even emotional affect, then I try to do so.

As an example, I captured this image at the nondescript intersection of the two main roads in my town on a snowy evening. This image earned honors from the judge in the photo contest I entered. It's only a mattering of seeing the possible image beyond the familiar
I've seen that one before, great picture. I often complain about the people who live in Yorkshire, Scotland, Skye, Washington State and Oregon. Great subjects make great pictures (assuming a number of other factors), and those guys have an unfair advantage, what with the fog, rain, temperate climate, hills & mountains. It's really just not fair!

---------- Post added 2021-12-03 at 05:42 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
Don't put Full Frame lenses on APS-C bodies!
I thought the guy's argument was silly. He essentially makes two points: first, that when you use a cropped-sensor body, you get cropped pictures, relative to a full-frame picture using the same lens (well, duh!); and secondly, that the lens may perform differently depending on what camera you put it on (again, duh!). Neither of these observations warrants the title, which suggests that there's something bad about putting a full-frame lens on a crop-sensor body. What he really OUGHT to have said is that you ought to be aware of how each of your lenses will work on the cameras you've got. Well, duh!

I assume that youtubers (is that related to couch-potatoes, which are also a form of tuberous growth?) who use "click-bait" titles are only in it for the money and are trying to waste my time so that goggle will give them money.
12-04-2021, 05:18 AM - 1 Like   #198
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dlhawes Quote
I've seen that one before, great picture.
Thanks very much!. Yes, I forgot to mention my small down is on the edge of an area that people save up to spend their vacation in, like the places you mention. My point is, it's a matter of reimagining your surroundings in way to make them interesting, then capture that. I'll bet if I were to visit you, I'd take several pictures of people, places, and objects which you pass by every day. So next time you go out in your town or city, imagine you are showing it to a visitor, better still is to imagine you are showing it to a young child, to whom everything is interesting and new.

This video touches on some of the same ideas
12-05-2021, 10:02 AM   #199
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Since I've recently become more interested in artificial lighting and studio shoots, I've been following this photographer's channel. She offers a lot of useful advice and examples.

12-05-2021, 11:13 PM   #200
Pentaxian

He essentially makes two points...
I don't recall him making those two points you mentioned (but I may have missed them).

The important point he made, which you did not mention, is that losing the (typically not perfect) edges and corners of an FF lens changes the overall impression of the image. For instance, one can lose swirly bokeh, natural vignetting, etc. These are good observations to make.

FWIW, the frequently made "sweet spot" argument made in favour of using FF lenses on APS-C bodies, claiming that only the best parts of an image are retained, is flawed in the sense that putting a 1.5 magnifying glass on a lens is revealing lens aberrations and is asking more of the glass than it was designed to accomplish.
12-07-2021, 03:31 AM   #201
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by StiffLegged Quote
Nigel Danson does have some good material. A friend of his is Mads Peter Iverson, whose many travelog videos are really worth watching while planning where you're going once/if travel is possible again. He's especially good on Iceland and the Faroes, but does other countries as well and his drone footage is especially good too.

Mads Peter Iversen - YouTube
I enjoy his videos. Always amused by the way he says “moody.”

Amy
12-07-2021, 03:46 AM - 1 Like   #202
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
It's interesting to go back to the beginning of this thread and the see the old faves and current faves. I find that there's only so many videos of a person's particular approach to photography you can view when you just have to move on. Another trip to Iceland? Weren't you just there? How many times have I seen this little cliffside beach in Portugal? I've recently unsubscribed from all my YouTube photographers. I'm starting from scratch. I might even go out and take some of my own photos for a change.

12-07-2021, 04:04 AM   #203
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by officiousbystander Quote
. I'm starting from scratch. I might even go out and take some of my own photos for a change.
Go out and take pictures? what a crazy idea!

I actually have unsubscribed from a few channels as well, but since I am becoming more interested in artificial lighting and portraits, I am watching more of those videos and less of travel.
12-08-2021, 05:29 AM   #204
dlhawes

Printers and Printing

as well as reviews of equipment and such. Keith Cooper really knows what he's talking about - pretty unusual for u-toobers. Especially good at describing the practical aspects of printing, while at the same time, the technical and abstract stuff that the techno-nerds get off on.

Keith Cooper - YouTube

By the way, I've observed a new kind of scam in the Youtube world: People are making money off Youtube by collecting information from what other people have done, and publishing bogus ranking and review things using computerized voices to disguise their own (non-English) accents. They all start with something like "Ten Very Best Manually Operated Can Openers" and such with information stolen from other people's actual effort in testing things.
12-08-2021, 10:51 AM   #205
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Open eyes, reframe how you see the world
12-09-2021, 01:46 PM   #206
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Here is another worthy channel, his city walks are worth your time as are the enjoyable how to series:

12-11-2021, 03:22 AM   #207
dlhawes

I've gotten into the habit of sitting around watching vids any morning I don't go out to get somewhere before dawn (I get up early). With headphones, so that the noise doesn't prematurely awaken Her Ladyship. I've found that I get impatient with the two and a half minutes of babbling and louder-than-necessary music most people seem to have to use for their less-than-necessary introduction. So I skip ahead, and then find out they either don't know what they're talking about or aren't really saying anything anyway - just more babbling. After a couple minutes of sampling the babble, I grumble about their having wasted five or six minutes of my time, cut them off and try to find something else interesting. I felt that I got a winner, today. A guy named Nick Turpin, apparently a famous street photographer, described what he's doing in taking pictures of just plain folks doing ordinary things in interesting circumstances. He describes his approach very articulately, and walks the viewer through the steps he's taking, with good and fairly precise explanations of why he's doing what he does. It was detailed and interesting, and though I don't "do humans", myself, I sat through the whole thing with rapt attention. I think the things he says are transferable to any kind of photographic composition.

12-11-2021, 03:35 AM - 2 Likes   #208
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I've gotten into the habit of sitting around watching vids any morning I don't go out to get somewhere before dawn (I get up early).
I do the same thing.
I enjoy gentleman's channel for many of the same reasons you mentioned above.
12-11-2021, 05:39 AM - 1 Like   #209
Closed Account

I've gotten into the habit of sitting around watching vids any morning I don't go out to get somewhere before dawn (I get up early). With headphones, so that the noise doesn't prematurely awaken Her Ladyship. I've found that I get impatient with the two and a half minutes of babbling and louder-than-necessary music most people seem to have to use for their less-than-necessary introduction. So I skip ahead, and then find out they either don't know what they're talking about or aren't really saying anything anyway - just more babbling. After a couple minutes of sampling the babble, I grumble about their having wasted five or six minutes of my time, cut them off and try to find something else interesting. I felt that I got a winner, today. A guy named Nick Turpin, apparently a famous street photographer, described what he's doing in taking pictures of just plain folks doing ordinary things in interesting circumstances. He describes his approach very articulately, and walks the viewer through the steps he's taking, with good and fairly precise explanations of why he's doing what he does. It was detailed and interesting, and though I don't "do humans", myself, I sat through the whole thing with rapt attention. I think the things he says are transferable to any kind of photographic composition.

Street Photography masterclass with Nick Turpin - YouTube
Street photography is not my thing at all but I appreciate it and I enjoyed watching that because he's good at explaining what he's looking for.
12-14-2021, 03:58 AM   #210
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
New Episode!