Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
New Episode for June!

06-10-2020, 12:06 PM - 1 Like   #32
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have just discovered this guy, talks a lot of sense and has some great photography too.

YouTube

I was taken by this one especially, as you have to take your shot when there and not necessarily when the best light turns up.

06-15-2020, 05:01 AM - 3 Likes   #33
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Youtube is so full of crap these days, I advise getting these five books:

1 The Decisive Moment by Henri Cartier-Bresson
2 The Photographer’s Eye: Composition and Design for Better Digital Photos by Michael Freeman
3 The Negative by Ansel Adams ( film based, but still useful for understanding how to manage exposure and dynamic range for digital capture)
4 Light Science & Magic: An Introduction to Photographic Lighting by Fil Hunter, Steven Biver and Paul Fuqua
5 Magnum Contact Sheets by Kristen Lubben
06-15-2020, 05:25 AM   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
Youtube is so full of crap these days, I advise getting these five books:

1 The Decisive Moment by Henri Cartier-Bresson
2 The Photographer’s Eye: Composition and Design for Better Digital Photos by Michael Freeman
3 The Negative by Ansel Adams ( film based, but still useful for understanding how to manage exposure and dynamic range for digital capture)
4 Light Science & Magic: An Introduction to Photographic Lighting by Fil Hunter, Steven Biver and Paul Fuqua
5 Magnum Contact Sheets by Kristen Lubben
I definitely listen to your recommendations as far a knowledge, but the Bresson book is $350.00 USD, or 562.00 for the 1952 release. If someone is strictly a digital shooter, which books might you leave off until someone decides to give you a gift card to a bookstore or something?

06-15-2020, 05:34 AM - 2 Likes   #35
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by SSGGeezer Quote
the Bresson book is $350.00 USD, or 562.00 for the 1952 release.
Yes, the book is expensive. The first editions in French are even more expensive. I'd leave the HCB book off the list, but I still consider it essential for learning on how to develop an eye for photography. The Photographer’s Eye: Composition and Design and the Magnum contact sheet book are well worth a look for similar reasons as they show you not only the shots that made the cut - but the ones that didn't.

I tend to focus on composition and light - a lot of the technicalities of photography are easily addressed, but developing a sense for composition and light takes time.
06-15-2020, 07:38 AM   #36
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Libraries often have copies of rare or expensive books as well, if cost is an issue.

---------- Post added 06-15-20 at 10:38 ----------

I tend to focus on composition and light - a lot of the technicalities of photography are easily addressed, but developing a sense for composition and light takes time
Truth!

Last edited by robgski; 06-17-2020 at 07:55 AM.
06-17-2020, 02:21 AM   #37
Pentaxian

Here is one to soothe your nerves. These guys review film cameras and even sheet film cameras. Cool, calm and collected :

06-17-2020, 06:02 AM - 1 Like   #38
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I like Tony and Chelsea Northrup
06-18-2020, 05:03 PM   #39
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Yes, the book is expensive. The first editions in French are even more expensive. I'd leave the HCB book off the list, but I still consider it essential for learning on how to develop an eye for photography. The Photographer’s Eye: Composition and Design and the Magnum contact sheet book are well worth a look for similar reasons as they show you not only the shots that made the cut - but the ones that didn't.

I tend to focus on composition and light - a lot of the technicalities of photography are easily addressed, but developing a sense for composition and light takes time.
I picked up the HC-B book a few years ago in Paris for €30 I think. Must dig it out again.
06-22-2020, 01:55 PM - 1 Like   #40
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I am sure many of you are familiar with this photographer, and I really like the ideas he has and the way he presents them.
06-28-2020, 12:56 PM - 2 Likes   #41
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I watched a number of Videos from this channel and they are always interesting. Recommended!

06-29-2020, 03:56 AM - 1 Like   #42

I'm still trying to decide what genre to focus on (mind the pun) Landscapes or Macro - Seem that my recent woodland Macro has been well received, but I also enjoy landscapes and seascapes. humpf.
06-29-2020, 01:13 PM - 1 Like   #43
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
New episode for July, must visit the Isle of Skye!
06-30-2020, 12:39 AM - 1 Like   #44

QuoteOriginally posted by robgski Quote
New episode for July, must visit the Isle of Skye!...
I visited
those very same locations, really brought back some fond memories made in February this year. My visit was timed with Storm Dennis making landfall, and wow Elgol was truly an amazing experience with +70mph winds gusting in off the sea.. Cant wait to go back next year which is fast becoming an annual pilgrimage
07-04-2020, 08:19 AM - 1 Like   #45
Closed Account

I recently discovered this guy

YouTube

Unfortunately he doesn't cover Pentax but Samyang, Sigma etc... are in his reviews which are quite excellent.