Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-21-2020, 01:14 AM   #166
Pentaxian

Biggest dealbraker: when I cannot set relevant settings while having dslr on the eye.
Relevant settings to me are af/mf, af type and point selection, iso, shutter speed, aperture, exposure correction if not shooting in m.

02-21-2020, 01:59 AM   #167
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by WorksAsIntended Quote
Biggest dealbraker: when I cannot set relevant settings while having dslr on the eye.
Relevant settings to me are af/mf, af type and point selection, iso, shutter speed, aperture, exposure correction if not shooting in m.
These are very good points, and a reason I like the K-1 so much - the VF is bright and big and every setting is at the tip of your fingers.
02-21-2020, 06:00 AM   #168
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by loveisageless Quote
It would if the major carriers did not offer 0% financing and 24 months to pay for them (conveniently rolled into their monthly cell phone bill). Most large retailers like Best Buy and Amazon offer their card holders 0% financing and 6, 12, 18, or 24 months to pay especially during the holiday shopping season. Don't have credit? Can't qualify for a monthly cell phone contract? Chances are you are not the owner of a $1000 smart phone. Maybe the camera manufacturers should take a page from the wireless carriers' play book. Offer their cameras with low or 0% financing on an installment plan, sell monthly insurance on them, buy them back at upgrade time, refurbish them and use them for fulfilling insurance claims (that also have a copayment). I bet B&H sold a lot of cameras with their 0% 24-month financing over the holidays.
it is very wrong to compare modern phones and cameras. This is a completely different motivation to buy. The budget photo industry has simply become a victim of changing market structure .
02-21-2020, 07:14 AM   #169
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by camera_nut Quote
l won't spend more than 200usd on a phone. Why? Because they're disposable. l only keep a phone for about 2 years.
This is what I thought until I got jealous of my wife's work-discounted Samsung S8. I finally bought one for myself, spending double the maximum if what I had previously spent on a phone, but it's the first smartphone I've ever phoned that hasn't continuously frustrated me with bugs or slowness.

I'll see how it goes but I plan to keep it for as long as it works well, hopefully a good long time as I take good care of it and have learned that wireless chargers (or those little magnetically-connecting ones) are a good investment to prevent slow destruction of the little socket.

02-21-2020, 07:23 AM   #170
Veteran Member

)))The main thing is to beware of falls and water, the plug is reliable enough. And what matters to me. The mirrorless system, Viewfinder and stabilization is as good as on my OMD 5M2, available high-quality optics.My Park should have two 4\3 systems and a full frame.I will never buy a new APS C .

Last edited by Ivan; 02-21-2020 at 07:28 AM.
02-21-2020, 07:24 AM   #171
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Ivan Quote
)))The main thing is to beware of falls and water, the plug is reliable enough.
I lost three (!) smartphones to a broken USB port.
One got run over by a truck (bad place to drop a phone infront).
I never had any other significant damage to phones.
02-21-2020, 07:47 AM   #172
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by WorksAsIntended Quote
I lost three (!) smartphones to a broken USB port.
One got run over by a truck (bad place to drop a phone infront).
I never had any other significant damage to phones.
I once paid twice for my wife's broken screen, in one month, it was very expensive Connectors are repaired-it's inexpensive.
02-21-2020, 08:06 AM   #173
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Ivan Quote
I once paid twice for my wife's broken screen, in one month, it was very expensive Connectors are repaired-it's inexpensive.
This depends on the model. While it was very simple with my s5, a 10min job easily done by myself, my Mate 10 pro was basically unrepairable.