Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-15-2020, 02:23 AM   #121
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
RobA_Oz's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Tasmania, Australia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 5,823
We’ve strayed somewhat from the OP’s question (but what’s new?) so I’ll attempt to answer, if only for myself.

So-called “deal-breakers” need to be considered in the light of having complete knowledge of the item under consideration. Without knowing enough about a hypothetical new DSLR, I would have been tempted to say “no WiFi”, “no GPS” and “no tilting rear screen” (possibly “no third wheel”, as well). However, if this new body had, for instance, blazing fast and accurate AF and a hybrid viewfinder, I might be tempted to dispense with one or several of my “deal-breakers”.

Benefits and drawbacks; pluses and minuses; swings and roundabouts. Show me the camera, and I’ll tell you if it has a deal-breaker, for me.

02-15-2020, 04:04 AM   #122
Senior Member




Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 147
Built in flash in 24-36 bodies.

I own a K5 and K5IIs and I can't stop being amazed by their friendliness. They are made for the photographer who does not care about trends and is disgusted from the forced obsoleteness other brands are marketing. But I like shooting portraits in shade so a build in flash to fill in is invaluable to me. OVF is the main characteristic that photography gives me joy, I want to see what the lens see and imagine, not what the processor interprets. Recently I decided to try the 24-36 format to see if I miss something from the 16-24 format. K1 does not have built in flash and it is frustrating to drag with me an external flash to put on when the opportunity comes for the model to stay in shade for a quick street portrait. Nor is flexible to leave on the external flash all time when I walk the streets. So I was obliged to buy a used Nikon D700. I miss the deep controls a Pentax offers and my K-mount lenses but what could I do?
I see now that even Nikon dropped the build in flash in the new D780. So I have only two choices in the 24-36 format: D700 and D750. I think no other manufacturer makes or has made a 24-36 camera with build in flash. I hope that Pentax would make one to buy eventually but it seems that people do not care about having build in flashes in 24-36 bodies.
So this is what a deal breaker would be for me in any body: no build in flash.
02-15-2020, 05:07 AM   #123
Pentaxian
Dan Rentea's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Bucharest
Posts: 1,481
QuoteOriginally posted by Hidrieus Quote
I own a K5 and K5IIs and I can't stop being amazed by their friendliness. They are made for the photographer who does not care about trends and is disgusted from the forced obsoleteness other brands are marketing. But I like shooting portraits in shade so a build in flash to fill in is invaluable to me. OVF is the main characteristic that photography gives me joy, I want to see what the lens see and imagine, not what the processor interprets. Recently I decided to try the 24-36 format to see if I miss something from the 16-24 format. K1 does not have built in flash and it is frustrating to drag with me an external flash to put on when the opportunity comes for the model to stay in shade for a quick street portrait. Nor is flexible to leave on the external flash all time when I walk the streets. So I was obliged to buy a used Nikon D700. I miss the deep controls a Pentax offers and my K-mount lenses but what could I do?
I see now that even Nikon dropped the build in flash in the new D780. So I have only two choices in the 24-36 format: D700 and D750. I think no other manufacturer makes or has made a 24-36 camera with build in flash. I hope that Pentax would make one to buy eventually but it seems that people do not care about having build in flashes in 24-36 bodies.
So this is what a deal breaker would be for me in any body: no build in flash.
For quick street portraits I use the environment to help me get the shot (a white wall or a white car that can bounce some light back on the model's face). I also have a piece of flipchart paper folded in my backpack and also a white plastic bag that I sometimes use to fill the shades when the sun is behind the model. Somehow the built in flash never worked for me, especially outside where you can't bounce the light and you don't have enough power either to "fight" the sun.

And between K-5 II and K-3 II, I liked more the K-5 II. Somehow the files looked better at high ISO.
02-15-2020, 09:01 AM   #124
Pentaxian
microlight's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Hampshire, UK
Posts: 1,507
Having shot with both K-5 and K-3II, it seems to me that in shooting raw and with the flexibility of today’s noise reduction tech, there is virtually nothing between them as far as high ISO (and I mean, up to around 12,800) is concerned. Now that we have the accelerator discussion in these forums, this could be a deal-breaker for some. Not for me though, I have to say!

02-15-2020, 09:36 AM   #125
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Steve Beswick's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Ontario, California
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,689
I think there is an elephant in the room now, and nobody seems to have noticed. At this point, Pentax really isn’t much more than the name of Ricoh’s DSLR line. If Ricoh goes all in on mirrorless, then it’s likely the end of Pentax.
02-15-2020, 10:38 AM   #126
Senior Member




Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: Riga
Posts: 106
The elephant is hard to overlook. But a situation where not alive is not dead under the current economic system could last a long time.
02-15-2020, 12:40 PM - 2 Likes   #127
Pentaxian
microlight's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Hampshire, UK
Posts: 1,507
Schrodinger's Pentax.
02-15-2020, 01:29 PM   #128
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
RobA_Oz's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Tasmania, Australia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 5,823
QuoteOriginally posted by Steve Beswick Quote
I think there is an elephant in the room now, and nobody seems to have noticed. At this point, Pentax really isn’t much more than the name of Ricoh’s DSLR line. If Ricoh goes all in on mirrorless, then it’s likely the end of Pentax.
That’s a separate question, and the OP didn’t actually mention Pentax.

02-15-2020, 01:36 PM   #129
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Steve Beswick's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Ontario, California
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,689
QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
That’s a separate question, and the OP didn’t actually mention Pentax.
Okay, but over the last 9 pages we have spoken at length about both Pentax and mirrorless.
02-15-2020, 01:42 PM   #130
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
RobA_Oz's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Tasmania, Australia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 5,823
QuoteOriginally posted by Steve Beswick Quote
Okay, but over the last 9 pages we have spoken at length about both Pentax and mirrorless.
True. My attempt to bring the discussion back on topic. I’m not altogether surprised that it hasn’t worked.
02-15-2020, 04:15 PM - 5 Likes   #131
Pentaxian
microlight's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Hampshire, UK
Posts: 1,507
So - the thread’s on topic and also not on topic. Schrodinger’s Thread!!
02-16-2020, 07:19 AM   #132
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
UncleVanya's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2014
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 16,352
QuoteOriginally posted by Steve Beswick Quote
I think there is an elephant in the room now, and nobody seems to have noticed. At this point, Pentax really isn’t much more than the name of Ricoh’s DSLR line. If Ricoh goes all in on mirrorless, then it’s likely the end of Pentax.
Since Ricoh has no mirrorless line with standardized interchangeable lenses*, why would they abandon their brand? If they jump to mirrorless I wouldn't anticipate dropping Pentax name, nor a loss of at least backward compatible autofocus enabled k mount use.

But to stay on topic, mirrorless is a deal breaker for DSLR at least technically...

* They did make sensor/lens combos that swapped.
02-16-2020, 10:36 AM - 1 Like   #133
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Nov 2014
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,208
Not being able to afford it is the number one issue.

Then dual control wheels.
02-17-2020, 12:04 AM   #134
Senior Member




Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: Riga
Posts: 106
You have a good sense of humor.
02-17-2020, 07:53 AM   #135
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Nov 2014
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,208
QuoteOriginally posted by Ivan Quote
You have a good sense of humor.
It may seem funny but many people on gear forums don’t appreciate the importance of affordability.

Median US household income was $63K in 2018.

U.S. Median Household Income Was $63,179 in 2018, Not Significantly Different From 2017

Figure in food, clothing, shelter, transportation, health care, insurance, communication services, saving for retirement and taxes that does not leave a great many people with the ability to buy a $1500 camera body.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
85mm, advantage, bloggers, body, business, camera, canon, canon mirrorless, cars, crop, dislike, dslr, ef, eos, f1.2l, focus, generation, interface, lenses, line, mirror, photography, pm, post, sensors, sharpness, statement, systems, time
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Old tech shootout: your MX-1 vs your phone. Is your MX-1 still holding it's own? MD Optofonik Pentax Compact Cameras 7 05-16-2019 07:40 PM
Vote here in survey/poll about lenses requested for your Pentax DSLR - your wishlist beholder3 Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 33 09-29-2016 12:52 PM
When Do You Use Your K-01 vs. Your DSLR? Biro Pentax K-01 33 11-18-2012 11:57 AM
Control your DSLR shooting from your Android phone app photoleet Pentax DSLR Discussion 4 01-31-2012 12:20 AM
Your first time with your first DSLR? LeDave Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 32 07-13-2009 11:05 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:25 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top