Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 92 Likes Search this Thread
02-10-2020, 07:32 PM - 1 Like   #1

What are your DSLR dealbreakers?

Here are mine. l won't buy a body that doesn't have front/back focus correct for multiple lenses. Over the last 20 years since l've been into photography, l've had several film and digital SLRs that would front or back focus with certain lenses. l won't buy a body that has a rear screen less than 2.7 inches or less than 5 MP(those are non issues with anything less than about 12 years old). lf it doesn't have live view, it's a no go for me. l use LV with the image zoomed in for critical focus in close up photography when on a tripod. l won't buy a camera that has no viewfinder(but that's a mirrorless issue). No supersized bodies with a "built in" vertical grip that can't be removed. And full frame is out-they cost too much. What are yours?

02-10-2020, 08:48 PM - 15 Likes   #2
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by camera_nut Quote
What are yours?
Well, pretty much, if it does not say "Pentax" somewhere on it!
02-10-2020, 08:51 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I won't buy a DSLR that is designed to use Canon lenses. This has no technical basis it is personal. I also don't care for their interface. I'm certain I could find my way past the interface without too much trouble but the personal dislike of that company isn't going away.
02-10-2020, 09:03 PM - 4 Likes   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

No 1 wife.

02-10-2020, 09:04 PM - 2 Likes   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Well, pretty much, if it does not say "Pentax" somewhere on it!

And along with that - if it doesn't have a K-mount!
02-10-2020, 09:08 PM - 5 Likes   #6
Veteran Member

The biggie for me is it has to have an optical viewfinder. I don't use the rear screen as a viewfinder.
02-10-2020, 09:50 PM - 1 Like   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I used to be a diehard Pentax only guy, but I eventually tried other brands. Now I can’t stand using a camera that doesn’t have a front control wheel. I couldn’t care less if it has a rear one. I care far more about the size of the viewfinder than the size of the screen. I have mirrorless cameras that are screen only, and I can usually live with them, but live view on a DSLR always finds a way to intensely frustrate me.

02-10-2020, 10:00 PM - 3 Likes   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

A Pentamirror is a deal breaker.
02-10-2020, 10:22 PM - 1 Like   #9
dms
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
I won't buy a DSLR that is designed to use Canon lenses. This has no technical basis it is personal. I also don't care for their interface. I'm certain I could find my way past the interface without too much trouble but the personal dislike of that company isn't going away.
I also will not purchase a Canon camera or lens. Probably mostly because of their going to a wholly new lens mount, and thus making prior lenses obsolete (not that I had Canon camera, but I could have!). More than that I have not (in the last 4 or 5 decades) purchased anything other than Pentax or Nikon camera/DSLR, and I have confidence in them and find they take much care with human-camera ergonomics.
02-10-2020, 10:43 PM - 3 Likes   #10
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

@MarkJerling beat me to it. Although I made an exception for my GR III and Theta Z1
02-10-2020, 10:59 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dms Quote
I also will not purchase a Canon camera or lens. Probably mostly because of their going to a wholly new lens mount, and thus making prior lenses obsolete (not that I had Canon camera, but I could have!). More than that I have not (in the last 4 or 5 decades) purchased anything other than Pentax or Nikon camera/DSLR, and I have confidence in them and find they take much care with human-camera ergonomics.
So you won’t buy a Canon in 2020 because they did something kinda crappy in the 1980’s?
02-10-2020, 11:24 PM - 3 Likes   #12
dms
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Steve Beswick Quote
So you won’t buy a Canon in 2020 because they did something kinda crappy in the 1980’s?
Absolutely.
02-10-2020, 11:34 PM - 1 Like   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I’d have said I could live without live view - until I discovered how good the face detect mode is! After four years with the K-3II, I would now find it difficult to live without GPS tagging.
02-10-2020, 11:40 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dms Quote
Absolutely.
I'm a bit like that.... life is to short to forgive something... move on.... and let it be (unless critical for some reason).

Anyway... my deal breaker is guilt..... if I feel I've spent to much recently I stop myself from buying the umpteenth thing I lust after, but don't need at all.
02-11-2020, 12:17 AM   #15

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Steve Beswick Quote
First l thought they were talking about the recent change from thee EF to R mount.