Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
02-15-2020, 12:58 PM - 3 Likes   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
New series on Netflix shows nature at night

The Netflix series Night on Earth was shot almost entirely in the dark. It shed fascinating new light on the animal world. For instance, it was long thought that cheetahs do not hunt at night. It turns out that they do - and in packs as well.

While HD thermal-imaging camera has revolutionised night filming, it is monochrome only. There is plenty of such footage. It is fascinating but what but what sets this series apart is the color photography. The Sony A7S II – which can film UHD, in colour, at 80,000 ISO – is the tool used to explore after dark.

The lens of choice was the Canon 400mm f/2.8. The result is some stunning imagery like this.

The Sony is not without its limitations. Apparently, they got their best results on the four nights either side of the full moon – as long as the moon was up and there was no cloud.

Here is an excellent write up from the producers:

Night on Earth, Netflix - Plimsoll Productions

02-15-2020, 01:33 PM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've seen some of it, and I couldn't help but feel that it felt quite fake at times

Perhaps a combination of the usual "how did they get so many cameras in so good positions" and just not being used to seeing something like this before.

Very interesting, I didn't know about the gear until now. Cool article!
02-15-2020, 05:04 PM   #3
2B1
Forum Member

will wait for the episode entitled.

Black Cat In A Coal Bunker.
02-18-2020, 04:38 AM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ehrwien Quote
I've seen some of it, and I couldn't help but feel that it felt quite fake at times

Perhaps a combination of the usual "how did they get so many cameras in so good positions" and just not being used to seeing something like this before.

Very interesting, I didn't know about the gear until now. Cool article!
I had similar feeling, sometimes it look too graphic-vise..

02-18-2020, 12:47 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by 2B1 Quote
will wait for the episode entitled.

Black Cat In A Coal Bunker.
They are currently shooting it with a Pentax K10D.