Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-19-2020, 12:36 PM - 1 Like   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Photoshop turns 30!

Version 1.0 was released 30 years ago today by the Knoll brothers.

02-19-2020, 12:45 PM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Okay, anyone here still using version 1?? But seriously, happy birthday Photoshop: although you're a complete monster to learn there's nothing quite like your all-round abilities. I expect to be using PS for years to come.
02-19-2020, 12:51 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by StiffLegged Quote
But seriously, happy birthday Photoshop: although you're a complete monster to learn there's nothing quite like your all-round abilities. I expect to be using PS for years to come.
Me too. It is very popular to criticise the Adobe subscription system, and many do. But if you want the best, then you have to pay for it.
02-19-2020, 12:56 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Perhaps to celebrate Adobe will offer a 30 years subscription plan... but the catch is you have to pay for it all upfront.

02-19-2020, 03:01 PM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
Perhaps to celebrate Adobe will offer a 30 years subscription plan... but the catch is you have to pay for it all upfront.
They used to do that – it was called a permanent licence... (CS4 user here! )
02-19-2020, 03:31 PM - 1 Like   #6
Veteran Member

I have PS Elements 9 on my computer but as often as not, I use GIMP these days.
02-19-2020, 03:44 PM   #7
Pentaxian

I bought version 2. I saw a similar product run on a midi used by a friend who worked in advertising. if anyone remembers the Micheal Jordan CHerios box, he signed that and many other commercial boxes of the day.

He cut his teeth working the add industry in Toronto but ended up making twice as much from an ad firm in Minneapolis.

02-19-2020, 04:26 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Still have the 3.0 version on my machine and use the 5.5 version regularly. When 7.0 came out, it had expanded features but I still like 5.5 over 7.0 for general use. All those versions cost only a one-time payment but if you want the real bells&whistles "you have to pay". Photoshop is still the yardstick by which all others are judged and its original code design (after the bugs were worked out) was simply "elegant".
02-19-2020, 04:40 PM   #9
Inactive Account

HBD Photoshop!
I started from V3. It is the rock start of anything related to Graphic work.
Meet the key contributor guy to the development of PS 1.0 late last year. Amazing guy. He is still full of energy and passion for Photoshop.
02-19-2020, 08:31 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I remember sitting down with a Mac II FX (16MB of RAM!) in about 1991 with a 1.03 version of PS. It really was just a pixel editor back then, next to no undos, kept having to save a version every time you got a to point you were happy with it, and before you made the next major change.
Keep a copy of PS Elements on my machine to this day, only use about 10% of it, don't know what I'd do with the full version now.

Seems hard to believe it's 30 years old, but my marriage is 35 years this year, so maybe....
02-19-2020, 11:43 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think I first used it about 22 or 23 years ago. One of the few software packages that I’ve used that seems to have multiple ways to do everything. I’ve been to a few of the PS seminars where the developers and Scott Kelby showed you ways to do things, they were always good.
02-20-2020, 02:01 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
I think I first used it about 22 or 23 years ago. One of the few software packages that I’ve used that seems to have multiple ways to do everything. I’ve been to a few of the PS seminars where the developers and Scott Kelby showed you ways to do things, they were always good.
I didn't know it's been going that long. 20 years maybe, but 30!

I tend to think that it's because there are many ways to do the same or similar things, that this adds to users' confusion. When I started using it, a long time ago, I worked out a method, then I would read something showing me another way, only to get confused with my original method. I sometimes still get momentarily confused, but I have learnt to drag myself back to what the program as actually doing which is operating on individual pixels via stacked layers - as I see it. The fog then starts to clear. My rules one to three are to duplicate the background layer, name every layer created and work non-destructively. I wonder when the original designers realised what a wonderful beast they'd created ...?
02-20-2020, 08:19 AM   #13
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I started using it on my Mac about 30 years ago. I was in college at the time and could buy it through the bookstore for half of what it retailed for, though, I don't remember that version, I've had 3.0, 5.5, and 7. I used PhotoShop until they went online only, then I switched to Elements and I'm on version 2018 now, at least until I get Windows 10 installed, then I'll be on 2020.

And I went PC in 1998. Adobe was good to me when I switched, they sold me the PC version for fairly cheap, and I sold my Mac (PowerPC 1110CD), and my PhotoShop version to the college. It was legally done, through Adobe.

Last edited by photolady95; 02-20-2020 at 10:06 AM.
02-20-2020, 09:01 AM   #14
Veteran Member

I remember using PS v1.0 back when I was working in the Arts faculty of a College in England. IIRC it would only run on a Mac toaster version (Macintosh SE/30) at first and in grey scale only. Later on we got a suite of Apple Macintosh II computers which ran in colour (whoo hoo!)
02-21-2020, 12:53 AM   #15
Pentaxian

Fun fact, if you don't mind digging you can find photoshop CS2 on the adobe website for free.