Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-20-2020, 12:42 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Yes on the k3. No on the k100d. The k100d clears out when ever you change the battery

02-20-2020, 01:47 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

One of my pet hates: incorrect EXIFs. So, yes, I set time and date on my K-3 regularly, to the second following my radio clock. As I leave the battery in the camera, I only have to do this twice (routinely with the beginning and end of DST) or three times a year to always have reasonably accurate time.

Given that I store my images in a straightforward yyyy/yyyy-mm-dd/IMGPxxxx.DNG fashion on my PC, time and date actually need to be accurate for it to make any sense.
02-20-2020, 03:24 PM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I always try to keep my cameras on the correct time. Usually it makes no difference, but sometimes I like to make notes when I am taking a photo and I find it easier to just note the time instead of looking up the file number.
02-20-2020, 03:53 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I always check my camera time and date settings, particularly when I’m travelling. All my photo files are kept in date order, so an incorrect date would cause chaos there. My near and dear isn’t so fussy, then wonders why she can’t find travel photos easily, when so many of them were taken on days starting on the 1st of January 2010!

02-20-2020, 07:49 PM   #20
Pentaxian

I just discovered yesterday that my camera is still set on World Time (Yangon) from my trip to Myanmar at Christmas time. I was several days into that trip before I remembered to set the World Time. Pretty typical for me - I try to keep the time correct but often forget to change time zones... I've always found the Home and World Time feature to be a little clunky (K200D, K5 and K-1), but it's definitely a useful feature.
02-20-2020, 09:24 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
When I was the resident Photographer for a bunch of nightclubs, I always made sure the time was correct in my camera.
Just like @madaboutpix I too have my folder and image set by date yyyy-mm-dd/IMGPxxxx.DNG.
SInce I was shooting into the next day all the time, it helped me find specific images I recalled being taken at certain points throughout the evening. Some would be (let's take todays date) 02/20/2020 and then carry over to 02/21/2020 even thought to me it was the same evening.
02-20-2020, 09:34 PM - 1 Like   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kobie Quote
When I was the resident Photographer for a bunch of nightclubs, I always made sure the time was correct in my camera.
Just like @madaboutpix I too have my folder and image set by date yyyy-mm-dd/IMGPxxxx.DNG.
SInce I was shooting into the next day all the time, it helped me find specific images I recalled being taken at certain points throughout the evening. Some would be (let's take todays date) 02/20/2020 and then carry over to 02/21/2020 even thought to me it was the same evening.
Handy for alibis too.

02-20-2020, 10:41 PM   #23
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Yes, it allows proper timestamp for the EXIF. I also set World Time to UTC when traveling outside my normal time zone.

Steve
02-21-2020, 04:11 AM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It is really handy when you are shooting with a couple of cameras to have their times synced up pretty closely. Otherwise the photos get all jumbled up in Lightroom. Even a couple of minutes difference can be pretty irritating.

As far as the daylight savings time goes, that's automatic and I don't have to worry about it.
02-21-2020, 04:34 AM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've never thought to check since I set my KP when new. Just looked and it was out by a fair bit.
I might remember to check more often.!!
I have never worried about changing for daylight saving - I have relied on my knowing that I took the image in real time - not enforced-made-up-time.
04-11-2020, 07:53 PM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
For the past five years I've kept my cameras (four of them) set to standard time throughout the year. Made that decision after I realized I never would remember to reset all of them twice a year. So now I know what time my photos were actually taken --- and it's a lot less work.

I do touch up the exact time now and then to combat drift.
04-12-2020, 04:50 AM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

No I leave them in eastern standard time, because I geotag photos with track files from my gps, and I want to have an easy workflow as I cross time zones and between standard and daylight time. I have had both happen on one day in a trip, so it is better to decide on one time and leave it.
04-12-2020, 06:34 AM - 1 Like   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I can have about 6 to 8 different camera bodies on the go at any time - So keeping them all up to date can be a chore, but it is worth it in the long run. Part of my basic set up for each camera is: set the time [I use 24Hr format], set the white balance to 5000K, set back button AF, wrangle the custom functions ( ISO extension, manual focus overrides and basic exposure controls) the way I want and seldom do I find any need deviate from those settings.

Last edited by Digitalis; 04-12-2020 at 06:39 AM.
04-12-2020, 06:54 AM - 1 Like   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

:O

I have precisely ... one camera body on the go at any time! But then I’m not a pro. (Or even a talented amateur like many here are.)
04-12-2020, 03:46 PM   #30
PDL
Pentaxian

On the older cameras I use the daylight/standard time change overs to check the clocks. I also use that period to swap/recharge batteries and do a general cleaning. I check the battery on the K-3II about once a month these days with the time set in both the menu and off the GPS.

I have really cut back on photography this year. All of my non-profit gigs were canceled due to the current Pandemic and I just don't feel the need/desire to photograph anything these days. (Just canceled the flights for my trip to Norway and London at the end of May - Bummer)