Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-20-2020, 03:43 AM - 3 Likes   #1

Do you calculate where the sun's going to be?

A few days ago l found this site. l want to shoot downtown Tomball Texas. Most of the buildings of interest are on the south side of FM2920. This site tells me l don't have to wait until summer when the sun is more to the north. l can do it late in the day in mid March. So that's when l plan on going. While l'm there, l'll eat at the only Russian resturant in the Houston metro area. The food is delicious. Here's a link to the site.

SunCalc - sunrise, sunset, shadow length, solar eclipse, sun position, sun phase, sun height, sun calculator, sun movement, map, sunlight phases, elevation, Photovoltaic system, Photovoltaic

Attached Images

02-20-2020, 03:50 AM   #2

Photos: Gallery
I usually rely on Stellarium ,,, always used for astrophotography and moonlit landscapes, and for the sun's position when I'm out during the day. I don't get the detailed information from the program your using, but what info I do get is good enough for my purpose.
02-20-2020, 04:15 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I use an app called Photographer's Ephemeris which gives the general direction of the sunrise and sunset combined with the time of sunrise and sunset for a given date. Seems to work OK for me, but I'm sure there are a lot of different programs that serve the same purpose.
02-20-2020, 04:47 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
If you live in the Netherlands or Belgium there is a table Zonsondergang.info - 2020 - Amsterdam - Wanneer gaat de zon onder vandaag? for times of sunrise and sunset. However, in that area most of the time it is cloudy and raining. My production went far south when I decided I needed more light for my photographs.

02-20-2020, 05:06 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I use an app called Photographer's Ephemeris which gives the general direction of the sunrise and sunset combined with the time of sunrise and sunset for a given date. Seems to work OK for me, but I'm sure there are a lot of different programs that serve the same purpose.
So do I. There are others, of course, and most do similar things but there are two major points in favour of this app: it's available across platforms, including mobiles and tablets, as well as PCs and Macs (not sure about Linux); and it's constantly being improved.
02-20-2020, 05:14 AM - 4 Likes   #6
Pentaxian

Late time I calculated sun position, there was a big cloud in front of the sun when I arrived on location, and no one to remove that annoying cloud, even I tried mentally but the cloud didn't move at all.
02-20-2020, 05:47 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
My choice also, and it has moonrise and moon set, and coordinates. It uses Google satellite images for the backdrop which helps you line your phone up like a compass.

02-20-2020, 06:14 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Given most of what I shoot has been wild life,nature and macros I never gave much thought to where the sun will be except for the general east west north south bit. I can see where this would be useful though in some cases as I expand my photography . I will have to check out these resources a bit . Thanks for the info.

AL
02-20-2020, 06:52 AM - 1 Like   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by camera_nut Quote
Do you calculate where the sun's going to be?
No need to calculate -- I just go outside, and there's the sun in the sky.

Seriously though, I use Photographer's Ephemeris on my iPad to find sun and moon directions, angles to buildings, obstructions, best directions for photos, etc. For example, I found the best day and time to catch the setting sun at a certain elevation at the end of a downtown city street corridor, which happens only on a couple of days in the spring and fall.

- Craig
02-20-2020, 07:29 AM   #10
Pentaxian

No, my travel plans take priority over photographic considerations, never felt it had a detrimental effect on the results. As Craig says, if you go out during daylight hours there's always enough light
02-20-2020, 07:29 AM   #11
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I use an app called PhotoPills to tell me where the sun/moon will be in addition to many other astrophotography applications.
02-20-2020, 07:43 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Definitely not. It's a factor, but far from a defining factor. Actual knowledge of the location, trees and ground cover, lay of the land, slopes etc. all affect lighting. IN the winter with snow on the ground you essentially have a huge reflector that generally softens all lighting situations, so it's even less important in winter. Scouting a location is definitely still essential. Which makes calculation the suns location an un-necssary step. If I'm standing at a location, looking at the shadows end light forms, I know approximately when I want to come back.
02-20-2020, 07:59 AM   #13

I use TPE (The Photographer's Ephemeris) as well. It allows me to calculate where the sun (or moon) will be at a given time and place.
Allows you to calculate when the sun will be behind a church tower when viewed from a specific location.
But you will have to visit the spot beforehand to select the exact position you want to take the shot from.

Rgds,
Gerd.
02-20-2020, 08:14 AM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by timb64 Quote
No, my travel plans take priority over photographic considerations, never felt it had a detrimental effect on the results. As Craig says, if you go out during daylight hours there's always enough light
Shooting close to home, I just turned up when I get there and go back when I think I could do better. However I rarely have to go back. And based on the sun's position this should have been terrible shot, but I went when convenient and I got an image better than I would have anticipated. It's always about so much more than where the sun is. Clouds also change light dramatically.

This wasn't the optimum time of day for talking shot at this location based on the sun's position, but the light turned out to be spectacular. Restricting yourself based on sun position in my opinion isn't wise. It will cost you photos.

In this particular image, the dramatic nature fo the light is caused by cloud formations, was well as the position of the sun. My shots directly into sun in an attempt to show some rays didn't cover the dynamic range, this one, I turned 90º and got the sun angle I wanted. My advice is go when you can see what you can get. Don't think you know everything because you have a sun position app. If that's your defining element of selecting when you go somewhere you're going to miss some great images.

This isn't the shot I was going for, but after PP it was the best shot I got.
02-20-2020, 08:21 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Yep, the Photographers Ephemeris (TPE) has been my tool of choice for a number of years now. It used to be on both cell phones and lap or desktop computers but some change in Adobe software (IIRC) caused discontinuation of the lap/desktop version. So it's a cell phone only app. No problem. I'll have to give the OP's software a try. TPE though works very very well.

Edit: gave a look to the OP software, has some interesting tools. Thanks very much for sharing.

Last edited by blackcloudbrew; 02-20-2020 at 08:28 AM.